    lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    product like this exist?

    , May 6, 2005

  2. Onion Knight Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except
    > it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice
    > over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that
    > this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e.
    > no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved
    > security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could
    > type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
    > lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    > product like this exist?

    You'd be better off aliasing the MAC address to a real name, and storing
    that info in the "walkie talkie's" address book. If something like that
    were to ever be made that is...

    --
    OK

    Onion Knight, May 6, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > The device should be
    > lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    > product like this exist?

    There are several softphone clients for PDAs if that is a feasible solution.

    Tor

    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, May 6, 2005
  4. Martin² Guest

    You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
    etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    but I need one now !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², May 7, 2005
  5. Alex Bloor Guest

    Martin² wrote:
    > You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
    > etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    > There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    > One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    > but I need one now !
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    P2000W is not a very good bit of kit, if I'm totally honest.

    We've never really got ours working "perfectly"..

    :<

    Alex.

    Alex Bloor, May 9, 2005
  6. RC Guest

    There's Spectralink as well, still not cheap.

    RC, May 10, 2005
  7. ss Guest

    Actually, it's no called IoIP or Intercom over Internet Protocol.
    The idea is just that...use the LAN/WAN for Push to Talk Intercoms.
    Digital Acoustics ii3 Intercoms www.digitalacoustics.com/ii3.htm
    seem to be the largest manufacturer of IoIP and VoIP type intercoms.

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -

    ss, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Rich.Williams

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Vocera voice over 802.11

    There is a company called Vocera Communications Inc., that does voice over 802.11. They have a very light-weight communication badge that works like walkie talkies. The system is designed to work within a hospital setting and has to be set up to work with their communications system.

    Rich.Williams, Apr 21, 2010