    one another using a crossover cable, is there a way that two phones
    connected to them can talk to one another?

    , Jun 15, 2006

  2. wrote:
    >I was just wondering if any voice over IP hardware products can work on
    >a local area network that is not be connected to the Internet.

    AFAICT http://multitech.com/ equipment does this, though I haven't
    played with any of them directly. Most ATAs can't be connected
    back-to-back, though you could set up a cheap TrixBox (nee
    Asterisk@Home) server to connect them.

    Many ATAs are locked to a specific vendor, and won't work outside
    their system, so it depends if you have hardware kicking around that
    you think you want to use...

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 15, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > I was just wondering if any voice over IP hardware products can work on
    > a local area network that is not be connected to the Internet. For
    > instance, if you have two of your voice over IP routers connected to
    > one another using a crossover cable, is there a way that two phones
    > connected to them can talk to one another?

    From memory, SIP can work peer-to-peer like this, if you connect by IP
    address rather than by name. You won't be able to do fancy things like
    conferencing but you should get a connection.

    I don't think H.323 or MGCP can do this.

    --
    Phil McKerracher
    www.mckerracher.org

    Phil McKerracher, Jun 17, 2006
  4. rick Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:03:58 -0400, William P.N. Smith
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>I was just wondering if any voice over IP hardware products can work on
    >>a local area network that is not be connected to the Internet.

    >AFAICT http://multitech.com/ equipment does this, though I haven't
    >played with any of them directly. Most ATAs can't be connected
    >back-to-back, though you could set up a cheap TrixBox (nee
    >Asterisk@Home) server to connect them.
    >
    >Many ATAs are locked to a specific vendor, and won't work outside
    >their system, so it depends if you have hardware kicking around that
    >you think you want to use...

    If you buy ATA's from best buy or somethign like that, then they will
    be locked to a specific vendor. You can always buy them from other
    resellers if you want unlocked devices.

    * We buy and sell new/used networking equipment. Please contact me if
    you have any offers or are interested in buying *

    ** GUARANTEED REAL CISCO, in stock! ALL prices in USD **

    50 x CP-7940G= NEW IN BOX @ $260/each

    50 x CP-7960G= NEW IN BOX @ $320/each

    2 x CISCO1760 (64D/32F) USED @ $500.00

    1 x CISCO1760-VPN/K9 (96D/32F) USED @ $650.00