    having quite a bit of trouble, in addition to Transcom, which has ripped out
    about $10mil, 50,000 ports of Cisco. I am looking at manufacturers like
    Sysmaster. They haven't made a name, but they seem to work much better.

    Colby Latham, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Colby  Latham

    Nortec Guest

    Look at Nortel and Avaya solutions... there is a reason they dominate the
    telecom market.

    "Colby Latham" <> wrote in message
    > How has been everyone else's experience with AVVID, Cisco's design. I

    have

    Nortec, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Colby  Latham

    Steve Blair Guest

    Colby:

    Can you explain what exactly the problem is. I haven't used
    AVVID products recently but in my experience the products
    worked fine for VoIP.

    What exactly is your friend trying to do?

    Thanks,Steve

    Steve Blair, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Colby  Latham

    Arcaidy Guest

    My experience has been good overall. My only gripe would be upgrades. Every
    upgrade I have done has been a pain in the ass.. Other than that, It has
    been stable. Older Modem's used to have problems. We just used something
    that had been made in the past 5 years and all works pretty well.
    Personally, the only horror story's I have heard have come from other sales
    reps... I have yet to hear of something that went tottaly wrong. Maybe it's
    just because I don't come out of my cave that much... Who knows..
    I have looked at Nortel's VOIP offerings and I'm not to impressed. I can see
    with going with them in a converged system, but not a new VOIP install. Just
    my opinion.

    Arcaidy, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Colby  Latham

    Colby Latham Guest

    The AVVID system is not scalable accross multiple locations. In the realm
    of networking, it does not network well, allowing multiple masters
    (gatekeepers) to operate at full functionality. Video is such a heavy
    platform, and integrating it for a small video conference utilization for
    companies is okay, but when the system gets loaded down in any way, video
    suffers. This was all within a
    lit building. It is not so much a problem for ptp video, but when you are
    recording, while communicating, with multiple streams, and guaranteeing Qos,
    there is a problem. With VoIP, Cisco does not support multiple platforms,
    gateways very well. It seems as though they thought they could rule the
    VoIP world like they do the data world, and supportting H.323 and SIP on any
    advanced level was an afterthought. Plus, if Cisco does not have your
    technology, they buy your company theology; support is impossible. Multiple
    teams from multiple companies came together to design this thing, only
    understanding their small part. Customization is expensive because it is so
    time consuming. One engineer has to get approval from 4 other engineers
    from four other subsidiaries before he makes a change to the code. I just
    want to know what kind of time frame before they get this under control. I
    would hate to go with a company that eventually gets bought by them, only to
    lose support of the product I just bought.

    Colby Latham, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Colby  Latham

    Guest Guest

    > How has been everyone else's experience with AVVID, Cisco's design. I
    have
    > a friend within a news channel in Oklahoma, and they continually have
    > problems. SBC's Cisco installation for the city of Dallas seems to be
    > having quite a bit of trouble, in addition to Transcom, which has ripped

    out
    > about $10mil, 50,000 ports of Cisco. I am looking at manufacturers like
    > Sysmaster. They haven't made a name, but they seem to work much better.

    We were all set up and certified as an AVVID (Call Manager/Unity) reseller
    and then dropped it for a combination of Nortel BCM for the small and Mitel
    3300 for the large. I don't hear much about Mitel on this group but they've
    been a big player in the traditional PBX market for a very long time. The
    only drawback, compared to Cisco's CM, that I've found is that since the TDM
    gateway is connected to the 3300 ICP and not directly to an Ethernet port
    you can't have a remote PSTN trunk without a second controller. The second
    controller doesn't cost all that much so it's no big deal if the remote site
    is of any real size, but if it's just 12 or so phones it can look a bit
    high. We often put these is with a Cisco infrastructure (Mitel doesn't do
    routers/switches) and it works great. Mitel even built it to be compatible
    with the Cisco PoE. Go with the best, Mitel does great phone systems but no
    LAN/WAN, Cisco is the best LAN/WAN but a bit behind on the PBX side.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2003