    ordinary phone, but in our case it really makes sense :)

    Thanks
    Stefan
    Stefan Poehn, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Stefan Poehn

    Peter Guest

    > sorry for being slightly offtopic:
    > do you know any softphone application that works with GSM cards
    > (or COM port to any modem) instead of IP?
    > I know this does not make sense in most cases, since you can use an
    > ordinary phone, but in our case it really makes sense :)

    Don't think it will work, GSM data usually is terribly laggy. Plus it's 9.6
    kbit/s unless you go HSCD route... And GPRS is even worse, data seems to
    come in in 5kb chunks or so...

    Peter

    Aaron Leonard, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Stefan Poehn

    Peter Guest

    > Can't we use an interface to a _voice_ service directly to the GSM card
    > without using any data structures for encapsulating the voice stream in
    > data stream?

    Then it won't be VoIP ;) But yes, technically this should be possible. My
    phone & laptop has Bluetooth and there is an option to use computer as audio
    gateway. This means I should be able to use speakers & mic to talk when
    hooked up to the phone

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 4, 2003
  5. On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:02:37 -0600, "Peter" <> wrote:

    ~ > Can't we use an interface to a _voice_ service directly to the GSM card
    ~ > without using any data structures for encapsulating the voice stream in
    ~ > data stream?
    ~
    ~ Then it won't be VoIP ;)

    Well, note the subject in this thread (as opposed to the newsgroup name ...)

    It looks like here's an instance of what the original poster is
    looking for:

    Ubinetics GC201 GSM PCMCIA Phone Card (for Laptops Only)

    http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201-LTOP

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Stefan Poehn

    Stefan Poehn Guest

    "Aaron Leonard" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:02:37 -0600, "Peter" <> wrote:
    >
    > Well, note the subject in this thread (as opposed to the newsgroup name

    ....)

    sorry for being off topic, but I hope it's not too far off topic.
    Please tell me if it is unbearable for you, then I will stop to
    write postings in this thread.

    > It looks like here's an instance of what the original poster is
    > looking for:
    >
    > Ubinetics GC201 GSM PCMCIA Phone Card (for Laptops Only)
    >
    > http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201-LTOP

    Yes, that would be one of the cards we would like to use. We already
    have the Nokia Phone Card, that does the job, too. What we are
    looking for, is a softphone application that does not (only) allow
    voice over ip, but over gsm.

    Stefan
    Stefan Poehn, Jul 9, 2003