    Lars Forslin

    "Doing time on earth"

    **************************
    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Lars Forslin

    ink Guest

    "Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote in
    message news:eqc3be$7ce$...
    >I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    >seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    >come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    >using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    >feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    >in the electronic age.

    No need to carry a notebook. I use one of these with good results:

    http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_WS-320M.htm

    Of course, it's an additional device, but I just hang it around my neck and
    start talking when I need to.

    No affiliation with Olympus, other companies make them just as good.

    Cheers,
    ink
    ink, Feb 7, 2007

  3. In article <eqc3be$7ce$>, Lars Forslin
    <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:

    > I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    > seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    > come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    > using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    > feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    > in the electronic age.

    What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?
    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Lars Forslin <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:
    : I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However
    : it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo
    : function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us
    : into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they
    : remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook
    : around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.

    I guess I never did find a need to record what I said to my camera (and
    some of what I say shouldn't be recorded). If I need to note something
    about my photo that isn't automatically recorded in EXIF or obvious from
    the content, I do carry a tiny notebook for jotted notes.

    But if you just Have to talk while taking a photo, check at your local
    office supply or electronics store. There are many brands of tiny little
    "dictation" recorders that are about the size of a disposable lighter that
    hang from a lanyard around yourt neck, that will record your musings.
    Some can be set to voice activated so you wouldn't have to turn them on
    (but will be triggered by every utterance by you or anyone around you).
    Also they will record much more than the short "notes" feature of some
    cameras. Some may even accept a memory card (possibly the same kind of
    card you use in your camera) so you could use the same equipment to store
    (archive) your photos to store the audio notes in the same directory. And
    if you rename the audio files with the same name as the appropriate
    image, you can keep everything straight for years to come. All you have
    to remember is to say the number of the image when you check the image on
    the display while recording your deathless prose. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <eqc3be$7ce$>, Lars Forslin
    > <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable.
    >> However it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a
    >> voice-memo function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers
    >> first lures us into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want
    >> to upgrade, they remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to
    >> carry a notebook around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.

    > What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

    Maybe you want to photograph a church tower and record the bell chimes you
    were hearing at the time - it can add a lot to experience you are
    recording.

    The OP will need to upgrade from his DSLR to a camera capable of capturing
    more than just still images. DSLRs don't do movies either. Yet.

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Lars Forslin wrote:
    > I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    > seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    > come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    > using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    > feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    > in the electronic age.

    I do like the microphone in the 1D mark II. I use to carry a notepad
    to jot notes. But writing notes on a pad takes more time than a quick audio
    recording. Then I switched to a hand held microphone. But tagging
    the recording to the photo was a pain, and sometimes in the heat of field
    action got totally confusing. The 1D Mark II records a wav file with
    the same name (+.wav) as the image you have displayed when you record, so the
    sound clip is effectively attached to your image.

    I use the audio to describe things in the scene,
    identification of animals, and to record animal sounds to go with
    the picture. Here is a test page with a 30 second
    clip recorded by the 1D Mark II:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/features/bosque sound
    A 30 second sound clip takes 275 KBytes on the CF card, so pretty
    negligible compared to the image. I wish the 30D had a microphone.
    The Canon 1D series are the only DSLRs that record sound that
    I am aware of. I need such a camera at work, and I have looked
    for lower cost alternatives but found none. Let's hope at PMA
    in early march, new DSLRs with sound will be introduced.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 7, 2007
  7. Randall Ainsworth <> writes:

    > In article <eqc3be$7ce$>, Lars Forslin
    > <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    > > seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    > > come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    > > using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    > > feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    > > in the electronic age.

    > What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

    I can imagine people wanting to record extra equipment used, or if you are
    photographing people, the subject's name. In the days of film, many
    photographers carried notebooks with them to write down the information. It
    can be handy if you are trying various things, and want to know what worked
    best afterwards. Unlike a separate voice recorder one advantage that the
    cameras with a voice memo function have is the .WAV file has the same name as
    the photo, so it is easy to associate which memo is with which photo.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Feb 7, 2007
  8. Lars Forslin

    Skip Guest

    "Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote in
    message news:eqc3be$7ce$...
    >I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    >seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    >come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    >using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    >feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    >in the electronic age.

    Well, if it's really important to you, the Canon 1 series has that option,
    but it's gonna cost you...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Feb 7, 2007
  9. In article <-meissners.org>, Michael
    Meissner <> wrote:

    > I can imagine people wanting to record extra equipment used, or if you are
    > photographing people, the subject's name. In the days of film, many
    > photographers carried notebooks with them to write down the information. It
    > can be handy if you are trying various things, and want to know what worked
    > best afterwards. Unlike a separate voice recorder one advantage that the
    > cameras with a voice memo function have is the .WAV file has the same name as
    > the photo, so it is easy to associate which memo is with which photo.

    In film days, I never wrote down camera settings. What useful purpose
    does it serve? Unless you were standing right next to me when I created
    the image, the information would have no value (and even then, it would
    be questionable). I don't even look at EXIF info...I don't care what
    shutter speed I used. It's useless information.
    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 7, 2007
  10. Skip wrote:
    > "Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se>
    > wrote in message news:eqc3be$7ce$...
    >> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable.
    >> However it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a
    >> voice-memo function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers
    >> first lures us into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want
    >> to upgrade, they remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to
    >> carry a notebook around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.
    >>

    > Well, if it's really important to you, the Canon 1 series has that
    > option, but it's gonna cost you...

    That's good to hear, Skip. I had not been aware of that when I sent my
    first reply.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 7, 2007
  11. Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <eqc3be$7ce$>, Lars Forslin
    > <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.se> wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    >> seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
    >> come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
    >> using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    >> feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
    >> in the electronic age.

    > What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

    I want to tell it where I am. (A GPS accessory of course will
    do that too, but I'd have to look it up on a map.) I want to
    tell it who's in the picture.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Feb 7, 2007
  12. Lars Forslin

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 06:12:25 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <-meissners.org>, Michael
    >Meissner <> wrote:
    >
    >> I can imagine people wanting to record extra equipment used, or if you are
    >> photographing people, the subject's name. In the days of film, many
    >> photographers carried notebooks with them to write down the information. It
    >> can be handy if you are trying various things, and want to know what worked
    >> best afterwards. Unlike a separate voice recorder one advantage that the
    >> cameras with a voice memo function have is the .WAV file has the same name as
    >> the photo, so it is easy to associate which memo is with which photo.

    >In film days, I never wrote down camera settings. What useful purpose
    >does it serve? Unless you were standing right next to me when I created
    >the image, the information would have no value (and even then, it would
    >be questionable). I don't even look at EXIF info...I don't care what
    >shutter speed I used. It's useless information.

    That explains a lot.

    --
    San Francisco Mayor Gavin
    Newsom admitted to having
    Bill Funk, Feb 7, 2007
  13. ? "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> ??????
    ??? ?????? news:...
    > Lars Forslin wrote:
    > > I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
    > > seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function.

    How
    > > come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit

    of
    > > using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
    > > feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we

    live
    > > in the electronic age.
    > >

    > I do like the microphone in the 1D mark II. I use to carry a notepad
    > to jot notes. But writing notes on a pad takes more time than a quick

    audio
    > recording. Then I switched to a hand held microphone. But tagging
    > the recording to the photo was a pain, and sometimes in the heat of field
    > action got totally confusing. The 1D Mark II records a wav file with
    > the same name (+.wav) as the image you have displayed when you record, so

    the
    > sound clip is effectively attached to your image.
    >
    > I use the audio to describe things in the scene,
    > identification of animals, and to record animal sounds to go with
    > the picture. Here is a test page with a 30 second
    > clip recorded by the 1D Mark II:
    > http://www.clarkvision.com/features/bosque sound

    Very nice!
    A 30 second sound clip takes 275 KBytes on the CF card, so pretty
    > negligible compared to the image. I wish the 30D had a microphone.
    > The Canon 1D series are the only DSLRs that record sound that
    > I am aware of. I need such a camera at work, and I have looked
    > for lower cost alternatives but found none. Let's hope at PMA
    > in early march, new DSLRs with sound will be introduced.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Feb 7, 2007
  14. Lars Forslin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:49:48 -0700, Bill "foxy" Funk wrote:

    > San Francisco Mayor Gavin
    > Newsom admitted to having
    > an affair with his friend's
    > wife while he was divorcing
    > Fox News anchor Kimberly
    > Guilfoyle. The city may never
    > forgive him. If there's one
    > thing they can't stand, it's
    > somebody who's in bed with
    > Fox News.

    As Spock would say, "illogical".

    Whoever wrote that has the rhythm of the joke, but is a bit
    confused. Neither of Newsom's two recent actions puts him in bed
    with Fox News unless his friend's wife is also a Fox News employee.
    Is Drudge The Hapless once again straining at being a comic? <g>
    ASAAR, Feb 7, 2007
  15. Lars Forslin

    Lars Forslin Guest

    Exactly. There should be no need to carry an extra device with you. Digtal
    cameras have had this feature since the beginning in 1998. Why remove it
    now? Can't cost much to add?
    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007
  16. Lars Forslin

    Lars Forslin Guest

    Mostly when I shoot plants, garden plants. There are thousands of different
    varieties. Very convenient to get a .mpg file with the same name as the
    photo.
    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007
  17. Lars Forslin

    Lars Forslin Guest

    It's not that kind of info, I want so save info about the photographed
    subject.
    Exif data is saved anyway.
    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007
  18. Lars Forslin

    Just D Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I do like the microphone in the 1D mark II. I use to carry a notepad

    When my children enabled this feature in my old Olympus by mistake playing
    with the menu and used it for a while it was very funny to hear their
    comments that they made without even knowing about it when I downloaded the
    shots together with wav files to my computer...)

    Just D.
    Just D, Feb 7, 2007
  19. Lars Forslin

    Lars Forslin Guest

    I don't want to carry additional devices with me, that's the whole point. I
    find a voice-memo feature to be of great help in many cases. And it
    generates a file with the same name as the photo. No hassle with additional
    devices, renaming files from a recorder etc.
    My point is that this feature has been in digital cameras since 1998, many
    photographers have got used to it, and it can't be that hard to add it to a
    camera since it's been done for a long time even in cheap cameras. Also for
    press photographers this should be a useful feature. Just record the names
    of the subjects.

    Some of the more expensive cameras like Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II has a
    voice-memo function, so it can't be all that bad, can it?

    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007
  20. Lars Forslin

    Lars Forslin Guest

    Exactly, you understand what I mean. Yes let's hope for some development in
    this area. I am willing to pay, but the 1D Mk II is a bit too expensive :)
    /Lars

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> skrev i
    meddelandet news:...

    Lars Forslin, Feb 7, 2007