voice chat under win2k: voice pitch wrong, deep voice (3)

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Sven Holm, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Sven Holm

    Sven Holm Guest

    Hello!

    I presumed, here are the experts to help with voice over ip problems...
    Am I wrong? Please, someone, give me a hint how to solve my voice chat
    problem (see below). Reinstalling or using XP is NO solution, by the
    way. Thanks.

    Tried google and forums in vain for this problem...

    My system: windows 2000, sp4, onboard via ac97 sound

    Why is it that each and every voice over ip program (voice chat,
    internet telephony), such as netmeeting, speakfreely, teamspeak etc.,
    doesn't work for me right under windows 2000?

    "Doesn't work" means:
    My own voice is heard by others as very, very slow, deep, roaring like a
    lion, while I hear the others all right.

    The same voice speed/pitch phenomenon happens when I just do a local
    loopback test!

    The problem only is under windows 2000, while at the same computer
    windows xp and Linux don't have this problem!

    Anyone else having had this problem under windows 2000? Could you solve
    it?

    I already had uninstalled all my sound drivers, audio codecs etc and
    reinstalled again, but the problem with my voice speed (pitch) didn't go
    away!

    Please, someone answer to this article, hopefully with a way
    to find a solution.

    Many thanks
    Sven

    Sven Holm, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Sven Holm wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I presumed, here are the experts to help with voice over ip problems...
    > Am I wrong? Please, someone, give me a hint how to solve my voice chat
    > problem (see below). Reinstalling or using XP is NO solution, by the
    > way. Thanks.
    >

    > Tried google and forums in vain for this problem...
    >
    > My system: windows 2000, sp4, onboard via ac97 sound
    >
    > Why is it that each and every voice over ip program (voice chat,
    > internet telephony), such as netmeeting, speakfreely, teamspeak etc.,
    > doesn't work for me right under windows 2000?
    >
    > "Doesn't work" means:
    > My own voice is heard by others as very, very slow, deep, roaring like a
    > lion, while I hear the others all right.
    >
    > The same voice speed/pitch phenomenon happens when I just do a local
    > loopback test!
    >

    > The problem only is under windows 2000, while at the same computer
    > windows xp and Linux don't have this problem!
    >

    > Anyone else having had this problem under windows 2000? Could you solve
    > it?
    >
    > I already had uninstalled all my sound drivers, audio codecs etc and
    > reinstalled again, but the problem with my voice speed (pitch) didn't go
    > away!
    >

    > Please, someone answer to this article, hopefully with a way
    > to find a solution.
    >

    > Many thanks
    > Sven

    I am no expert, but heres my thoughts: your soundcard doesn't support the
    sampling rate you're using to record audio. The audio is recorded at a
    higher sampling rate than it is played back, this causes the low, slow
    sound.

    I would be inclined to think that voice over ip packages would sample at the
    lowest possible rate that provides the required sound bandwidth (say 8khz
    for plain speech, which is defined to 3.1khz - nyquist), and that your
    sound card cannot sample at that slow rate.

    You might look for other drivers for your card. Problem could be corrected
    if the drivers sampled at the higher rate and just recoded it down to the
    requested rate before passing it to the application. This would obviously
    UP the cpu usage, so it is not likely to be included in drivers.

    Otherwise, see if you can't select a higher quality setting or sampling rate
    for the recorded audio. This could push the application to use a faster
    sampling rate.

    GL..

    --
    If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
    unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,

    dii

    Dawid Oosthuizen, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Sven Holm

    Sven Holm Guest

    Dawid Oosthuizen <> wrote:

    >> The same voice speed/pitch phenomenon happens when I just do a local
    >> loopback test!
    >>

    >> The problem only is under windows 2000, while at the same computer
    >> windows xp and Linux don't have this problem!
    >>

    >> Anyone else having had this problem under windows 2000? Could you solve
    >> it?
    >>
    >> I already had uninstalled all my sound drivers, audio codecs etc and
    >> reinstalled again, but the problem with my voice speed (pitch) didn't go
    >> away!

    >I am no expert, but heres my thoughts: your soundcard doesn't support the
    >sampling rate you're using to record audio. The audio is recorded at a
    >higher sampling rate than it is played back, this causes the low, slow
    >sound.
    >
    >I would be inclined to think that voice over ip packages would sample at the
    >lowest possible rate that provides the required sound bandwidth (say 8khz
    >for plain speech, which is defined to 3.1khz - nyquist), and that your
    >sound card cannot sample at that slow rate.
    >
    >You might look for other drivers for your card. Problem could be corrected
    >if the drivers sampled at the higher rate and just recoded it down to the
    >requested rate before passing it to the application. This would obviously
    >UP the cpu usage, so it is not likely to be included in drivers.
    >
    >Otherwise, see if you can't select a higher quality setting or sampling rate
    >for the recorded audio. This could push the application to use a faster
    >sampling rate.

    Hello and thanks for an answer!

    Well, it really looks like some kind of a sampling rate issue.

    The problem is:
    I do already use the same VIA sound driver (exactly the same package and
    version) as I do under XP, were I don't have this problem at all (on the
    same computer, same hardware, same software settings!!).

    I don't see any place where I could change sample rates for voice over
    ip programs like "teamspeak", "speakfreely". It doesn't matter what kind
    of compression method I chose, I get always the same bad effect: a much
    too deep and too slow, low pitched voice.

    I think, it must be in the windows audio codecs somewhere, but as I
    said, I already uninstalled them completely (in "safe mode") and only
    gradually reinstalled them. The problem was there from the beginning
    again! I am out of ideas.

    I don't want to use XP, because there are different issues, in my case.
    So I would really like to use windows 2000 for voip, too.

    I also installed, for a test, an older version of my sound driver. Same
    result.

    As I found, in the meantime, there is only one voip program which seems
    to give me a normal voice: "teamsound". But this one appears to be
    different, because even under XP I had to install an additional gsm
    codec which wasn't there when I had the program installed.

    All the other voip programs, however, seem to user other codecs, and
    none of them works for me under windows 2000. Nevertheless, everything
    audio related (except voip) works perfectly otherwise, even under
    windows 2000.

    To the experts:
    What could I do to trace the problem?
    Are people here who use windows 2000 and voip? What codecs do you have
    installed?

    thanks again
    Sven

    Sven Holm, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Sven Holm

    TC Guest

    Just curious what result do you get using xlite from www.xten.com

    TC, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Sven Holm

    Sven Holm Guest

    "TC" <> wrote:

    >Just curious what result do you get using xlite from www.xten.com

    You made me curious, too. So I installed xlite.

    Had a hard time finding out how this thing works and also how to do an
    echo test, until I realized, I have to use Free World Dialup and NOT
    just AddaLine, oh yeah.

    Well, I finally did the echo test (dialing 613), and what can I say?
    Whatever codec I activated/disabled inside the program, I got the same
    bad result under windows 2000, a roaring, very low and deep voice.

    I also tried this under windows xp, and again, it worked perfectly here.

    I certainly have no more ideas. Is voip a fundamental problem under
    windows 2000, or are some of you successful there?

    bye
    Sven

    Sven Holm, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Sven Holm wrote:
    > "TC" <> wrote:
    >>Just curious what result do you get using xlite from www.xten.com

    > You made me curious, too. So I installed xlite.
    >
    > Well, I finally did the echo test (dialing 613), and what can I say?
    > Whatever codec I activated/disabled inside the program, I got the same
    > bad result under windows 2000, a roaring, very low and deep voice.
    >
    > I also tried this under windows xp, and again, it worked perfectly here.
    >

    > I certainly have no more ideas. Is voip a fundamental problem under
    > windows 2000, or are some of you successful there?

    I have seen VoIP implementations in Win2000 a number of times. Most
    recently with 40 softphones running Win2000. I think, probably you as
    well, that the issue is very strange.

    Normally H.323 will negotiate a codec to be used for the conversation,
    if there is no codec match IMHO you will hear nothing. IMHO you
    therefore cannot have a codec mismatch problem, since you are hearing
    sound. You said you have de-installed en re-installed all codecs. I
    presume you did this of the original Win2000 CD?

    The only thing I can imagine at this moment is that you have a
    sound-modifier installed? I've seen an app running once that was able to
    transform sound on the fly, really cool all of a sudden you could sound
    like James Earl Jones or whoever... probably this is not installed but I
    just need to check..

    Did you try just one machine or different PC's running 2000 ?

    Arnold

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Sep 12, 2003