Vodafone's PhoneInsure

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hugo, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Hugo

    Hugo Guest

    Hi all..

    I've just got a brand new phone, and am thinking about going back on
    Vodafone's PhoneInsure plan. It seems as though they have changed the
    coverage conditions since I was last on it.

    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting lost
    phones replaced? I'm a bit guilty of losing phones, so this is my
    primary reason for getting coverage.

    On the front of their brochure
    (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/phone_insure.pdf), they state:

    Whether it's lost, stolen or damaged, not having your mobile is a big
    hassle.
    With phoneInsure you can relax. Your mobile is completely covered, so
    if it's lost, stolen or damaged* you'll get a replacement in next
    to no time, for just $125 excess.

    Sounds good so far, right?

    But in the conditions, the relevant clauses for theft or loss include:

    4 We do not provide you with any insurance cover for:
    a) the Mobile Phone if left unattended in the open air or in any public
    place;
    c) not taking all reasonable precautions to prevent loss, or damage to
    the Mobile
    Phone;
    e) theft or attempted theft of the unattended Mobile Phone from any
    premises
    unless there is evidence of forcible and violent entry to the premises;
    g) any loss where the Mobile Phone has been left behind in an unknown
    location
    or you have forgotten its whereabouts.

    Now, to me it seems that if my phone gets lost or stolen, they can make
    a pretty good case I didn't take 'reasonable precautions' to prevent
    it. After all, I don't have it any more, right?

    And clause 4g) is almost the definition of 'lost'! Left behind in an
    unknown location or forgotten its whereabouts? How else can I go about
    losing it? Leaving it somewhere I can't possible get back to, perhaps?

    Seems to me they are going a long way out of their way to make sure you
    won't get a replacement phone from them.

    I thought I would ask people here if they have had any bad/good
    experiences with the new policy? My previous experience, about two
    years ago, involved replacing a broken Nokia, bought in Hong Kong. That
    was very easy, but with a 12 month warranty, I'm more concerned with
    lose or theft.

    Any comments would be much appreciated!

    Cheers.

    Hugo, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Hugo

    EMB Guest

    Hugo wrote:

    > Any comments would be much appreciated!

    They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
    from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Hugo

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Hugo

    JohnO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Hugo wrote:
    > >
    > > Any comments would be much appreciated!

    > They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
    > from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Ergo if it was lost, just tell them you accidentally dropped it off a boat.

    JohnO, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Hugo

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Hugo

    Matthias Guest

    Hugo wrote:

    > I've just got a brand new phone, and am thinking about going back on
    > Vodafone's PhoneInsure plan. It seems as though they have changed the
    > coverage conditions since I was last on it.

    > Any comments would be much appreciated!

    If you have a decent contents insurance policy, your mobile phone might
    already be covered. They definitely offer better value for money.

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Hugo

    Matthias Guest

    Matthias, Dec 16, 2004
  8. Hugo

    EMB Guest

    Matthias wrote:

    > If you have a decent contents insurance policy, your mobile phone might
    > already be covered. They definitely offer better value for money.

    Maybe. My contents policy has a $500 excess (saves a load of premium).
    But more importantly they will normally only pay out the "cost" of the
    phone as per an invoice so if you got a $1800 phone on a contract deal
    for $400 that's all they will pay. They may also depreciate the phone
    (and with an expected average lifespan of 2 years that soon bites into
    it's value).

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Hugo

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Dec 16, 2004
  10. Hugo

    Arkwright Guest

    I have used it once - phone was accidentally thrown out with the rubbish!
    No problems, they paid out for a new phone (less, of course $125).

    Arkwright, Dec 16, 2004
  11. Hugo

    Arkwright, Dec 16, 2004
  12. Hugo

    Italian Jobs Guest

    Not lost but dropped several times resulting in awful sound quality.
    They replaced the phone with a newer model which meant I had a six
    month phone instead of a year old job.

    Italian Jobs, Dec 16, 2004