Vodafone Vodem <--> Windows Vista incompatibility

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Rosner, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    Vodafone "sometime in April"

    I note this was originally promised in March.

    When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone site
    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp

    To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    explicitly checking. But be warned.

    I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    Adam Rosner, Apr 22, 2007

  2. Adam  Rosner

    XPD Guest

    "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    > Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    > Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    > Vodafone "sometime in April"
    > I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    > me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    > be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    > me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    IPass software is the same, most ISP's use it for Global Roaming - IPass
    does not work on Vista, and the new version is suppose to be out now but no
    sign of it on Clearnets website.
    Calling Clearnet gets you nowehere as well "Oh were waiting on Ipass to send
    it to us but we dont know when thats happening"

    XPD, Apr 22, 2007

  3. Adam  Rosner

    Ken Guest

    On 22 Apr 2007 05:31:17 -0700, Adam Rosner <> wrote:

    >Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    >Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    >Vodafone "sometime in April"
    >
    >I note this was originally promised in March.
    >
    >When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    >Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone site
    >http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp
    >
    >To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    >suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    >explicitly checking. But be warned.
    >
    >I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    >me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    >be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    >me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    Silly you in getting VISTA, you were warned that its utter Crap..

    Ken , Apr 22, 2007
  4. Adam  Rosner

    Craig Shore Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:

    > Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    > Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    > Vodafone "sometime in April"
    >
    > I note this was originally promised in March.
    >
    > When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    > Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone site
    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp
    >
    > To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    > suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    > explicitly checking. But be warned.
    >
    > I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    > me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    > be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    > me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    As a suggestion to be able to use your account in the mean time, if you
    take the sim card (i'm assuming they have one) and put it in a 3G
    phone, you might be able to use Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) or
    Internet Sharing over bluetooth.

    Craig Shore, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:58 am, Ken wrote:
    > On 22 Apr 2007 05:31:17 -0700, Adam Rosner <> wrote:
    >
    > Silly you in getting VISTA, you were warned that its utter Crap..

    Thanks for this insightful, useful and helpful remark. Because my
    clients run it, I have to run it.

    Do not speak unless you can improve upon silence.

    Adam Rosner, Apr 23, 2007
  6. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    On Apr 23, 10:53 am, "Craig Shore" <> wrote:

    > As a suggestion to be able to use your account in the mean time, if you
    > take the sim card (i'm assuming they have one) and put it in a 3G
    > phone, you might be able to use Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) or
    > Internet Sharing over bluetooth.

    I've decided to install VMWare and build an Hosted Virtual Machine
    running XP, and share its internet connection with the host using the
    network bridge.

    The problem will go away when Vodafone release the Vista driver, but
    talking to them on the phone they've unofficially admitted that it's
    still in testing and buggy as all Hell, so it might still be a
    while... :-(

    Just would have been nice to have been warned.

    Adam Rosner, Apr 23, 2007
  7. Adam  Rosner

    Vista Guest

    > Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    > Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    > Vodafone "sometime in April"
    >
    > I note this was originally promised in March.
    >
    > When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    > Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone site
    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp
    >
    > To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    > suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    > explicitly checking. But be warned.
    >
    > I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    > me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    > be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    > me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    You would be able to return it under the sale of goods act and get out of
    the contract. If you are buying a new product, you would expect that it
    would work with a current opertaing system. Vista has been out in beta
    versions for years, so it is really slack that they haven't got software
    that works with it.
    Maybe thats why they have stopped advertising vodems.

    Vista, Apr 23, 2007
  8. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    On Apr 23, 12:19 pm, "Vista" <> wrote:

    > You would be able to return it under the sale of goods act and get out of
    > the contract.

    Yeah I thought about that too, but if we take them at their word and
    assume that within the next few weeks Vista will be supported, it's a
    temporary inconvenience. Rather than return it, I'll try to push them
    for a refund of a month's subscription.

    Adam Rosner, Apr 23, 2007
  9. Adam  Rosner

    CM Guest

    On 23 Apr, 00:31, Adam Rosner <> wrote:
    > Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    > Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    > Vodafone "sometime in April"
    >
    > I note this was originally promised in March.
    >
    > When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    > Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone sitehttp://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp
    >
    > To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    > suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    > explicitly checking. But be warned.
    >
    > I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    > me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    > be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    > me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    Hi Adam,

    I just finsihed a stint working with DSE and I had a customer with the
    same problem. Vodafone indeed does not support Vista with their
    Vodems (at this stage). That being said however I spent a number of
    hours on the phone last week with VF Channell Support and also their
    tech support guys. As far as I'm aware VF have said there SHOULD be
    drivers out THIS month (April) but knowing what VF are like I'm not
    sure if that will be the case. The software has actually been written
    and at the moment VF are beta testing.

    If I were you I'd look at a VMC card (Vodafone Mobile Connect Card) to
    get you out of a bind perhaps for the meantime.

    It's not actually VF's problem they don't support Vista. It is
    however partly the problem of the store that sold it to you (it may
    have been VF, I'm not sure). I would ring VF directly, explain the
    problem and if you're lucky you may get some kind of credit. Your
    only hope is that the store that sold you the Vodem specifically told
    you that the Vodem is supported under Vista... otherwise good luck!

    Let this be a leason to you to be more thorough in your research
    before buying such products.

    CM, Apr 23, 2007
  10. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:10 pm, CM <> wrote:

    > If I were you I'd look at a VMC card (Vodafone Mobile Connect Card) to
    > get you out of a bind perhaps for the meantime.
    >
    > It's not actually VF's problem they don't support Vista. It is
    > however partly the problem of the store that sold it to you (it may
    > have been VF, I'm not sure). I would ring VF directly, explain the
    > problem and if you're lucky you may get some kind of credit. Your
    > only hope is that the store that sold you the Vodem specifically told
    > you that the Vodem is supported under Vista... otherwise good luck!
    >
    > Let this be a leason to you to be more thorough in your research
    > before buying such products.

    VMC card would be a great idea if my laptop had a PCMCIA slot. It
    doesn't.

    Regarding contacting Vodafone - I've done that, and am in the process
    of discussing it with them.

    Re being thorough in research - Amen!

    Adam Rosner, Apr 23, 2007
  11. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > IPass software is the same, most ISP's use it for Global Roaming - IPass
    > does not work on Vista, and the new version is suppose to be out now but no
    > sign of it on Clearnets website.
    > Calling Clearnet gets you nowehere as well "Oh were waiting on Ipass to send
    > it to us but we dont know when thats happening"

    Anyone would think that vista snuck up and was released with no warning
    to these bloody useless companies..

    Richard, Apr 23, 2007
  12. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    Adam Rosner wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 12:19 pm, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >> You would be able to return it under the sale of goods act and get out of
    >> the contract.

    > Yeah I thought about that too, but if we take them at their word and
    > assume that within the next few weeks Vista will be supported, it's a
    > temporary inconvenience. Rather than return it, I'll try to push them
    > for a refund of a month's subscription.

    No, they always do that with promises of software updates etc.

    Return it within 2 weeks and tell them that they can call you when it
    will work and you will buy it again. Otherwise its a lot harder to
    return after 2 weeks.

    Richard, Apr 23, 2007
  13. Adam  Rosner

    Bobs Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:58 am, Ken wrote:
    > On 22 Apr 2007 05:31:17 -0700, Adam Rosner <> wrote:
    >

    > >Today I bought a Vodem, only to discover it won't work with my Windows
    > >Vista laptop. There's no Vista driver for it, and one is promised by
    > >Vodafone "sometime in April"

    > >I note this was originally promised in March.

    > >When I bought it, there was no warning evident that it doesn't work on
    > >Windows Vista. Nor is there anything on the Vodafone site
    > >http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp

    > >To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. My own stupid fault I
    > >suppose, for trusting the "works on any computer" spiel and not
    > >explicitly checking. But be warned.

    > >I have signed a contract for something that is essentially useless to
    > >me until the updated driver software is released, whenever that might
    > >be. Would have been nice for the salesperson to at least check with
    > >me, what type of computer I was planning to use it on.

    > Silly you in getting VISTA, you were warned that its utter Crap..

    Yes, because it's Microsoft's fault for not supporting some obscure
    piece of hardware rather than the developer who has known that the OS
    will be released for many years.

    We all know Linux and Macs support everything right out the box. LOL

    Bobs, Apr 24, 2007
  14. Adam  Rosner

    EMB Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > We all know Linux and Macs support everything right out the box. LOL

    Maybe not... but at least Linux gives you the option to create your own
    support by making the source available. :)

    EMB, Apr 24, 2007
  15. Adam  Rosner

    CM Guest

    On 23 Apr, 21:41, Adam Rosner <> wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 9:10 pm, CM <> wrote:
    >

    > > If I were you I'd look at a VMC card (Vodafone Mobile Connect Card) to
    > > get you out of a bind perhaps for the meantime.

    > > It's not actually VF's problem they don't support Vista. It is
    > > however partly the problem of the store that sold it to you (it may
    > > have been VF, I'm not sure). I would ring VF directly, explain the
    > > problem and if you're lucky you may get some kind of credit. Your
    > > only hope is that the store that sold you the Vodem specifically told
    > > you that the Vodem is supported under Vista... otherwise good luck!

    > > Let this be a leason to you to be more thorough in your research
    > > before buying such products.

    > VMC card would be a great idea if my laptop had a PCMCIA slot. It
    > doesn't.
    >
    > Regarding contacting Vodafone - I've done that, and am in the process
    > of discussing it with them.
    >
    > Re being thorough in research - Amen!

    So what's your plan of attack?

    CM, Apr 24, 2007
  16. Adam  Rosner

    Craig Shore Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Bobs wrote:
    >
    > > We all know Linux and Macs support everything right out the box. LOL

    > Maybe not... but at least Linux gives you the option to create your
    > own support by making the source available. :)

    There's no reason they couldn't do that for Windows as well.

    Craig Shore, Apr 25, 2007

    See http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/2728

    Nathan Mercer, Apr 26, 2007