    on their very limited coverage.
    Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb modem,
    and if coverage is much better.
    Vista, Oct 30, 2006

  2. "Vista" <> wrote in message
    news:1162250693.737106@ftpsrv1...
    >I was investigating the new vodafone vodem as an answer to my internet when
    >I travel. It is advertised as being 'broadband anywhere' so though it
    >would be available through most of NZ and their smaller towns. In the fine
    >print it say that it is only available where there is 3G coverage to get
    >broadband speeds. From the vodafone map, 3G coverage is extremely limited,
    >and is only available in the CBDs of only 3 of NZ cities, and I presume
    >that the vodem, to get broadband speeds, you must be within these areas.
    >Therefore Total area where it is available would be less than 1% of the
    >area country. Anyone know how they can advertise this as 'broadband
    >anywhere' when it doesn't appear to be the case. It should be advertised as
    >'broadband nowhere' based on their very limited coverage.
    > Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb
    > modem, and if coverage is much better.

    The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I am in
    Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the XU870
    Expresscard.

    When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a max
    speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So, still not
    bad when you are out and about.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm
    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>I was investigating the new vodafone vodem as an answer to my internet
    >>when I travel. It is advertised as being 'broadband anywhere' so though
    >>it would be available through most of NZ and their smaller towns. In the
    >>fine print it say that it is only available where there is 3G coverage to
    >>get broadband speeds. From the vodafone map, 3G coverage is extremely
    >>limited, and is only available in the CBDs of only 3 of NZ cities, and I
    >>presume that the vodem, to get broadband speeds, you must be within these
    >>areas. Therefore Total area where it is available would be less than 1%
    >>of the area country. Anyone know how they can advertise this as 'broadband
    >>anywhere' when it doesn't appear to be the case. It should be advertised
    >>as 'broadband nowhere' based on their very limited coverage.
    >> Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb
    >> modem, and if coverage is much better.
    >>

    > The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I am
    > in Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the
    > XU870 Expresscard.
    >
    > When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a max
    > speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So, still
    > not bad when you are out and about.
    >
    > --
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm

    Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better solution
    if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar hardware and it's
    cheaper with more bandwidth.
    Vista, Oct 31, 2006
  4. Vista

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:36:07 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>I was investigating the new vodafone vodem as an answer to my internet when
    >>I travel. It is advertised as being 'broadband anywhere' so though it
    >>would be available through most of NZ and their smaller towns. In the fine
    >>print it say that it is only available where there is 3G coverage to get
    >>broadband speeds. From the vodafone map, 3G coverage is extremely limited,
    >>and is only available in the CBDs of only 3 of NZ cities, and I presume
    >>that the vodem, to get broadband speeds, you must be within these areas.
    >>Therefore Total area where it is available would be less than 1% of the
    >>area country. Anyone know how they can advertise this as 'broadband
    >>anywhere' when it doesn't appear to be the case. It should be advertised as
    >>'broadband nowhere' based on their very limited coverage.
    >> Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb
    >> modem, and if coverage is much better.
    >>

    >The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I am in
    >Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the XU870
    >Expresscard.
    >
    >When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a max
    >speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So, still not
    >bad when you are out and about.

    And that's still above the 128k that we have called broadband in NZ :)
    Craig Shore, Oct 31, 2006
  5. Vista

    Philip Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>> I was investigating the new vodafone vodem as an answer to my internet
    >>> when I travel. It is advertised as being 'broadband anywhere' so though
    >>> it would be available through most of NZ and their smaller towns. In the
    >>> fine print it say that it is only available where there is 3G coverage to
    >>> get broadband speeds. From the vodafone map, 3G coverage is extremely
    >>> limited, and is only available in the CBDs of only 3 of NZ cities, and I
    >>> presume that the vodem, to get broadband speeds, you must be within these
    >>> areas. Therefore Total area where it is available would be less than 1%
    >>> of the area country. Anyone know how they can advertise this as 'broadband
    >>> anywhere' when it doesn't appear to be the case. It should be advertised
    >>> as 'broadband nowhere' based on their very limited coverage.
    >>> Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb
    >>> modem, and if coverage is much better.
    >>>

    >> The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I am
    >> in Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the
    >> XU870 Expresscard.
    >>
    >> When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a max
    >> speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So, still
    >> not bad when you are out and about.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mauricio Freitas
    >> www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm
    >>

    > Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better solution
    > if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar hardware and it's
    > cheaper with more bandwidth.

    And of course north of Whangarei, it's back to GPRS speeds. Vodafone
    dissimulate elegantly, but however you wrap up the bullsh, it's inherent
    nature will still make itself apparent.

    I have two Vodafone 3G/GPRS cards (1 GB / month, up to 384Kbps for
    $57/month). They do what they are supposed to do in Auckland and other
    centres - they connect in Kerikeri to a much poorer service. The Vodem
    will not do any better, but when HSDPA coverage finally arrives here, it
    will be a most welcome godsend and will let me get rid of a wholly
    unwanted POTS connection. But Vodafone willl then want a much higher
    monthly rate, so that's a no-no.

    Has anyone noticed that Vodaphone 3G and Vodem are the country's first
    ever retail naked broadband?

    Philip
    in the almost but not quite data-free Northland
    Philip, Oct 31, 2006
  6. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >> "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I
    >>> am in Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the
    >>> XU870 Expresscard.
    >>>
    >>> When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a
    >>> max speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So,
    >>> still not bad when you are out and about.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mauricio Freitas
    >>> www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm
    >>>

    >> Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better
    >> solution if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar hardware
    >> and it's cheaper with more bandwidth.

    > And of course north of Whangarei, it's back to GPRS speeds. Vodafone
    > dissimulate elegantly, but however you wrap up the bullsh, it's inherent
    > nature will still make itself apparent.
    >
    > I have two Vodafone 3G/GPRS cards (1 GB / month, up to 384Kbps for
    > $57/month). They do what they are supposed to do in Auckland and other
    > centres - they connect in Kerikeri to a much poorer service. The Vodem
    > will not do any better, but when HSDPA coverage finally arrives here, it
    > will be a most welcome godsend and will let me get rid of a wholly
    > unwanted POTS connection. But Vodafone willl then want a much higher
    > monthly rate, so that's a no-no.
    >
    > Has anyone noticed that Vodaphone 3G and Vodem are the country's first
    > ever retail naked broadband?
    >
    > Philip
    > in the almost but not quite data-free Northland

    I was talking to a couple of product managers at Vodafone during their HSDPA
    launch party here in Wellington, and I've heard that more plans will come
    out sometime, depending on usage. They realise the usage data they have so
    far is for businesses, but as more and more consumers are attracted to the
    cellular data easy of use they will have to cope with different
    requirements - and price points.

    Keep an eye on this space, I say.

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 31, 2006
  7. In <1162265963.849718@ftpsrv1> Vista wrote:

    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only -
    >> I am in Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem
    >> and the XU870 Expresscard.
    >>
    >> When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a
    >> max speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really).
    >> So, still not bad when you are out and about.
    >>

    > Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better
    > solution if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar
    > hardware and it's cheaper with more bandwidth.

    Don't forget Woosh's $20 per month roaming fee, required if you want to
    use their wireless service outside your home town.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 31, 2006
  8. Vista

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:36:07 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>> I was investigating the new vodafone vodem as an answer to my internet when
    >>> I travel. It is advertised as being 'broadband anywhere' so though it
    >>> would be available through most of NZ and their smaller towns. In the fine
    >>> print it say that it is only available where there is 3G coverage to get
    >>> broadband speeds. From the vodafone map, 3G coverage is extremely limited,
    >>> and is only available in the CBDs of only 3 of NZ cities, and I presume
    >>> that the vodem, to get broadband speeds, you must be within these areas.
    >>> Therefore Total area where it is available would be less than 1% of the
    >>> area country. Anyone know how they can advertise this as 'broadband
    >>> anywhere' when it doesn't appear to be the case. It should be advertised as
    >>> 'broadband nowhere' based on their very limited coverage.
    >>> Anyone know if telecom are coming out with their own version of a usb
    >>> modem, and if coverage is much better.
    >>>

    >> The HSDPA coverage will be expanding. It's not limited to CBD only - I am in
    >> Johnsonville and get a healthy 1.4 Mbps with both my vodem and the XU870
    >> Expresscard.
    >>
    >> When not on HSDPA coverage it will drop to UMTS, which will provide a max
    >> speed of 384 Kbps (but average will be about 250 Kbps really). So, still not
    >> bad when you are out and about.

    > And that's still above the 128k that we have called broadband in NZ :)

    You poor bastards. . .
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 31, 2006
  9. Vista

    Alan Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message

    > Has anyone noticed that Vodaphone 3G and Vodem are the country's
    > first ever retail naked broadband?

    I am just looking at this as an option.

    In what way is it 'naked' that Woosh (for example) is not?

    It looks faster than Woosh (I am in Auckland with coverage for both at
    home), but lower data cap at this point/

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Nov 1, 2006
  10. Vista

    Nig Guest

    In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    > > Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better
    > > solution if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar
    > > hardware and it's cheaper with more bandwidth.

    > Don't forget Woosh's $20 per month roaming fee, required if you want to
    > use their wireless service outside your home town.

    It's probably better to just fit a WiFi card and connect via any of the
    many Cyber-cafes and Internet Shoppes scattered around the towns. In
    fact you could do quite nicely just cruising until you spot an
    un-encoded router wide open for any passers-by

    --
    Nigel
    Nig, Nov 2, 2006
  11. "Nig" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Roger Johnstone <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Tahnks for your reply, I would have thought woosh may be a better
    >> > solution if you are in a city, as they appear to offer similar
    >> > hardware and it's cheaper with more bandwidth.

    >> Don't forget Woosh's $20 per month roaming fee, required if you want to
    >> use their wireless service outside your home town.

    > It's probably better to just fit a WiFi card and connect via any of the
    > many Cyber-cafes and Internet Shoppes scattered around the towns. In
    > fact you could do quite nicely just cruising until you spot an
    > un-encoded router wide open for any passers-by
    >
    > --
    > Nigel

    That's ok, except if you need the reliability and safety of access
    everywhere - such as business requirements.

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Vista

    S.Nufkin Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:

    > > It's probably better to just fit a WiFi card and connect via any of the
    > > many Cyber-cafes and Internet Shoppes scattered around the towns. In
    > > fact you could do quite nicely just cruising until you spot an
    > > un-encoded router wide open for any passers-by
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nigel

    > That's ok, except if you need the reliability and safety of access
    > everywhere - such as business requirements.

    Then it's a plain ol' vanilla modem. It'll cost $$$ in a lot of hotels
    but it will work. I'd carry an ethernet cable for the occasional hotel
    with broadband available to their rooms.

    Wireless connections work, right up until you move outside their range
    or even just behind a big building or hill.

    --
    S. Nufkin
    [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]
    S.Nufkin, Nov 7, 2006
  13. "S.Nufkin" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > It's probably better to just fit a WiFi card and connect via any of the
    >> > many Cyber-cafes and Internet Shoppes scattered around the towns. In
    >> > fact you could do quite nicely just cruising until you spot an
    >> > un-encoded router wide open for any passers-by
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Nigel

    >> That's ok, except if you need the reliability and safety of access
    >> everywhere - such as business requirements.

    > Then it's a plain ol' vanilla modem. It'll cost $$$ in a lot of hotels
    > but it will work. I'd carry an ethernet cable for the occasional hotel
    > with broadband available to their rooms.
    >
    > Wireless connections work, right up until you move outside their range
    > or even just behind a big building or hill.

    Which is better than a modem which requires a wall outlet and an outside
    line, or a wired broadband at a hotel.

    Mauricio Freitas, Nov 7, 2006
  14. Vista

    Old Wolf Guest

    S.Nufkin wrote:
    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:
    > > Nigel wrote:
    > > > It's probably better to just fit a WiFi card and connect via any of the
    > > > many Cyber-cafes and Internet Shoppes scattered around the towns. In
    > > > fact you could do quite nicely just cruising until you spot an
    > > > un-encoded router wide open for any passers-by

    > > That's ok, except if you need the reliability and safety of access
    > > everywhere - such as business requirements.

    > Then it's a plain ol' vanilla modem. It'll cost $$$ in a lot of hotels
    > but it will work. I'd carry an ethernet cable for the occasional hotel
    > with broadband available to their rooms.

    The hotel I stayed at in Queenstown, charged 37c per minute for
    the in-room Ethernet connection. Vodafone has got to be
    preferable to that !
    Old Wolf, Nov 8, 2006