Vodafone usb stick stopped working-help

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by raycnz, Dec 12, 2009.

  1. raycnz

    raycnz Guest

    Model K3565-Z. The white modern version.

    The $99.00 version worked fine for 3 weeks.

    Then Microsoft installed an automatic update to the laptop
    and from then on it will not run.

    When I plug it in and install the latest update at mobilenetworks
    ..co.nz I get an error when Vista home Premium attempts to start
    the service.

    I get "VMCService stopped working and was closed"

    I has never worked since.

    I have had an MS support guy take control of the laptop for
    an hour with no fix forthcoming.

    All Vodafone can help with is the new software site and do
    not use the lite version that comes with the stick.

    Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

    Thanks

    raycnz, Dec 12, 2009

  2. raycnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    ..

    >Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

    I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

    Donchano, Dec 12, 2009

  3. raycnz

    PeeCee Guest

    "raycnz" <> wrote in message
    > Model K3565-Z. The white modern version.
    >
    > The $99.00 version worked fine for 3 weeks.
    >
    > Then Microsoft installed an automatic update to the laptop
    > and from then on it will not run.
    >
    > When I plug it in and install the latest update at mobilenetworks
    > .co.nz I get an error when Vista home Premium attempts to start
    > the service.
    >
    > I get "VMCService stopped working and was closed"
    >
    > I has never worked since.
    >
    > I have had an MS support guy take control of the laptop for
    > an hour with no fix forthcoming.
    >
    > All Vodafone can help with is the new software site and do
    > not use the lite version that comes with the stick.
    >
    > Any one out there had the problem and found a cure
    >
    > Thanks

    FWIW I had a laptop in here last week that wouldn't log on to the Vodafone
    network.
    The owner had left it at the local Vodafone shop for a day and was told the
    problem was the Laptop needed 'Upgrading"
    In the end uninstalling the software and reinstalling with the AntiVirus and
    Firewall 'off' was successfull.
    So much for the 'experts' at the Vodafone shop, the 'upgrading' ploy was
    just a fob off.

    In your case the MS update 'may' have not quite installed correctly.
    I would try the following:
    1 Uninstall whatever Vodem software is installed and remove the USB Vodem.
    2 Roll back Vista to 'before' the troublesome update (start, accessories,
    system tools, system restore) & reboot.
    3 Disable your AntiVirus (the real time component)
    4 Reapply the Vista Update & reboot, disable the AntiVirus again if it has
    renabled itself.
    5 Plug in the Vodem and install the software.
    6 If successfull reactivate your AntiVirus.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 12, 2009
  4. raycnz

    raycnz Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    > .
    >>
    >>Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

    > I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

    Vista home premium with all updates.

    raycnz, Dec 13, 2009
  5. raycnz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-12-12, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    > .
    >>
    >>Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

    > I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

    Which version. Note not a question

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2009