Vodafone to allege Telecom Network interference in court

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by simonnz10@gmail.com, May 1, 2009.

  1. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. peterwn Guest

    On May 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid....
    >
    > A Vodafone beat up of Telecom?

    Looks like it.

    However Vodafone has a good chance of obtaining an interim injunction
    on the balance of convenience (because Vodafone customers are
    inconvenienced) even though it will probably not be upheld in the long
    term (bcause the problem was foreseeable and Vodafone's
    responsibility). Even if Telecom is ultimately awarded damages for a
    non-upheld injunction, Vodafone would still most likely come out on
    top financially by successfully derailing Telecom's marketing
    campaign.
    peterwn, May 2, 2009

  3. greg Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On May 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid...
    >>
    >> A Vodafone beat up of Telecom?

    > Looks like it.
    >
    > However Vodafone has a good chance of obtaining an interim injunction
    > on the balance of convenience (because Vodafone customers are
    > inconvenienced) even though it will probably not be upheld in the long
    > term (bcause the problem was foreseeable and Vodafone's
    > responsibility). Even if Telecom is ultimately awarded damages for a
    > non-upheld injunction, Vodafone would still most likely come out on
    > top financially by successfully derailing Telecom's marketing
    > campaign.

    chances are that it is a beat up, gotta remember way back when a 2nd
    cell phone carrier came on the market (Bellsouth - now vodafone),
    Telecom played the beat up game as well, now that the tables are turned
    on them. Hard to have sympthay for telecom here.

    But looking on the other side of the coin, maybe there is actually some
    interference here and telecom have not pulled finger and fixed it, they
    may just be protecting the customers?
    greg, May 2, 2009
  4. fred Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > peterwn <> wrote:
    >
    >> On May 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
    >>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid...
    >>>
    >>> A Vodafone beat up of Telecom?

    >> Looks like it.
    >>
    >> However Vodafone has a good chance of obtaining an interim injunction
    >> on the balance of convenience (because Vodafone customers are
    >> inconvenienced) even though it will probably not be upheld in the long
    >> term (bcause the problem was foreseeable and Vodafone's
    >> responsibility). Even if Telecom is ultimately awarded damages for a
    >> non-upheld injunction, Vodafone would still most likely come out on
    >> top financially by successfully derailing Telecom's marketing
    >> campaign.

    > Unlikely as the Telecom WCDMA network has been up and running for
    > about 5 months now with no public noises from Vodafone. . Sounds to
    > me like Vodafone is running scared..

    The new Telecom 3G network is not WCDMA, it's UMTS, WCDMA was rolled
    out, along with GSM, but abandoned in favour of UMTS. (or vice versa,
    the acronyms fail me) At any rate, the point is this is new tech being
    rolled out as opposed to the previous attempt at a 3G rollout.

    It's also running on 850MHz, whereas Vodafone runs on 900 MHz which
    should be plenty of space. However there is a possibility of an overlap
    in the 2100 MHz range (although, strictly speaking I am not qualified to
    make such a judgement so there may be acres of space between them)
    fred, May 2, 2009
  5. Richard Guest

    fred wrote:

    > The new Telecom 3G network is not WCDMA, it's UMTS, WCDMA was rolled
    > out, along with GSM, but abandoned in favour of UMTS. (or vice versa,
    > the acronyms fail me) At any rate, the point is this is new tech being
    > rolled out as opposed to the previous attempt at a 3G rollout.

    WCDMA covers UMTS and the HSPA revisions.

    > It's also running on 850MHz, whereas Vodafone runs on 900 MHz which
    > should be plenty of space. However there is a possibility of an overlap
    > in the 2100 MHz range (although, strictly speaking I am not qualified to
    > make such a judgement so there may be acres of space between them)

    I havent seen any telecom 2100 for quite some time so I think that they
    have it off or hidden at the moment.
    Richard, May 2, 2009
  6. Party Animal Guest

    Mutley wrote:

    > I think you should read this before saying "It's not WCDMA"
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=32997

    Great link thanks
    The link contained shows there are quite a few handsets compatible with
    both networks which is what I want to know.
    Other countries support multiple networks so I should think these two
    should be able to sort it all out, they both bought their spectrum at a
    government auction didn't they ?
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Jama/6461
    Party Animal, May 2, 2009
  7. Guest

    On May 2, 12:38 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On May 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid....

    > > A Vodafone beat up of Telecom?

    > Looks like it.
    >
    > However Vodafone has a good chance of obtaining an interim injunction
    > on the balance of convenience (because Vodafone customers are
    > inconvenienced) even though it will probably not be upheld in the long
    > term (bcause the problem was foreseeable and Vodafone's
    > responsibility).  Even if Telecom is ultimately awarded damages for a
    > non-upheld injunction, Vodafone would still most likely come out on
    > top financially by successfully derailing Telecom's marketing
    > campaign.

    That's what worried me, however from a legal perspective I guess they
    are quite rightly allowed their day in court. It will be interesting
    to see if Vodafone end up with egg on their face over this matter.

    Over the last few years I've found that they have become terribly
    arrogant, seemingly relying upon the "we're not evil Telecom" phrase
    as their main marketing technique. Their 3G coverage has been
    exceptionally poor until (surprise surprise) Telecom announced their
    vastly superior 3G coverage for the new XT network.

    Thanks for the legal perspective on this. Oh well, will wait and see
    what happens!
    , May 3, 2009
  8. Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > Over the last few years I've found that they have become terribly
    > arrogant, seemingly relying upon the "we're not evil Telecom" phrase
    > as their main marketing technique. Their 3G coverage has been
    > exceptionally poor until (surprise surprise) Telecom announced their
    > vastly superior 3G coverage for the new XT network.
    >
    > Thanks for the legal perspective on this. Oh well, will wait and see
    > what happens!

    Still crap 3g from vodafone - unless you leave the city and can benifit
    from their 900MHz "extended" 3G network - urban users are screwed.
    Richard, May 3, 2009
  9. In article <gtg92o$87r$>, greg <> wrote:
    >peterwn wrote:

    (snip)

    >But looking on the other side of the coin, maybe there is actually some
    >interference here and telecom have not pulled finger and fixed it, they
    >may just be protecting the customers?

    ........ nah ! That doesn't doesn't seem possible when you type it like
    that, does it ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 7, 2009