    So this leaves me with two questions. 1. Why did they claim to believe that my
    modem was causing poor download performance? 2. Why did they give me a free modem?

    Suggestions for answers are welcomed.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 18, 2010

  2. Gib Bogle

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:43:11 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > So this leaves me with two questions. 1. Why did they claim to believe
    > that my modem was causing poor download performance?

    Don't know.

    > 2. Why did they give me a free modem?

    "because [you] were a long-term customer"?

    Sweetpea, Jul 18, 2010

  3. Gib Bogle

    Greg Guest

    On 18/07/2010 11:43 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I've been complaining (again) to Vodafone about the atrocious download
    > speed I'm seeing with overseas sites. Specifically, I use speedtest.net
    > and a site in Boston as a benchmark. The tech guy at Vodafone got me to
    > send the results of a set of speed tests, and after some time he came
    > back to me with the information that their experts had concluded that
    > the problem must be with my modem, and they would send me a Vodafone
    > "Broadband Complete" modem free of charge, because I was a long-term
    > customer. I responded that I couldn't see how my (recently acquired)
    > D-Link modem could be the bottleneck, because at the same times that I'm
    > seeing acceptable speed of download from the Vodafone server (e.g. 2
    > Mb/s - not good, but I can live with it), I'm seeing speeds like 0.2 -
    > 0.4 Mb/s from Boston. Of course I wasn't going to refuse a free modem,
    > and now I've installed it, and it's no surprise that nothing has changed.
    >
    > So this leaves me with two questions. 1. Why did they claim to believe
    > that my modem was causing poor download performance? 2. Why did they
    > give me a free modem?
    >
    > Suggestions for answers are welcomed.

    Simple answer here, Vodafone are well know (like every other ISP in NZ)
    to claim everything is the customers fault, their equipnment works 100%
    of the time and never fails............back in the real world we know it
    is a problem with vodafone, vodafone know it is a problem with vodafone.

    The quickest solution I have found is tell them to fix the problem or
    you will file a complaint with the TDR, this is a very good motivator

    Greg, Jul 18, 2010
  4. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > So this leaves me with two questions. 1. Why did they claim to believe
    > that my modem was causing poor download performance?

    Because they can, it means they are not blaming their network etc...

    > 2. Why did they
    > give me a free modem?

    To get you off the phone and waiting for it to arrive, which will
    hopefully mean that you call back and get someone else.

    Richard, Jul 19, 2010
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> So this leaves me with two questions. 1. Why did they claim to
    >> believe that my modem was causing poor download performance?

    > Because they can, it means they are not blaming their network etc...
    >
    > > 2. Why did they
    >> give me a free modem?

    > To get you off the phone and waiting for it to arrive, which will
    > hopefully mean that you call back and get someone else.

    This doesn't seem likely, since I've been in contact with the same person a
    Vodafone by email many times over the past couple of weeks. He's been very
    willing to help.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 19, 2010
  6. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 19, 4:57 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > Gib Bogle wrote:

    > >> So this leaves me with two questions.  1. Why did they claim to
    > >> believe that my modem was causing poor download performance?

    > > Because they can, it means they are not blaming their network etc...

    > >  > 2.  Why did they
    > >> give me a free modem?

    > > To get you off the phone and waiting for it to arrive, which will
    > > hopefully mean that you call back and get someone else.

    > This doesn't seem likely, since I've been in contact with the same person a
    > Vodafone by email many times over the past couple of weeks.  He's been very
    > willing to help.

    If it is like most helpdesks, the operators are working off a FAQ and
    giving its answers without thinking. You need to push the right
    buttons to get your call escalated to someone higher up the food
    chain.

    FYI I am also getting shitty speeds off vodafone, but not just
    overseas either. I initially was getting 16-17Mbps but lately I rarely
    get over 12Mbps and occasionally it gets down to a few Mbps. I suspect
    it is contention.

    JohnO, Jul 20, 2010
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 19, 4:57 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> Because they can, it means they are not blaming their network etc...
    >>> To get you off the phone and waiting for it to arrive, which will
    >>> hopefully mean that you call back and get someone else.

    >> This doesn't seem likely, since I've been in contact with the same person a
    >> Vodafone by email many times over the past couple of weeks. He's been very
    >> willing to help.

    > If it is like most helpdesks, the operators are working off a FAQ and
    > giving its answers without thinking. You need to push the right
    > buttons to get your call escalated to someone higher up the food
    > chain.
    >
    > FYI I am also getting shitty speeds off vodafone, but not just
    > overseas either. I initially was getting 16-17Mbps but lately I rarely
    > get over 12Mbps and occasionally it gets down to a few Mbps. I suspect
    > it is contention.

    Your idea of shitty and mine are a bit different. I've never seen better than 4
    Mb/s download speed from the Vodafone server, often less than 2, and
    speedtest.net sometimes gives numbers like 0.3 Mb/s for a Boston site.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 20, 2010