Vodafone prepay topup "Hotlink" service discontinued

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Little, May 19, 2013.

  1. John Little

    John Little Guest

    My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
    ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
    off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
    or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
    dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?

    --
    Regards, John Little
     
    John Little, May 19, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
    > My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
    > ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
    > off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
    > or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
    > dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards, John Little


    Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.

    I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?
     
    JohnO, May 19, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John Little

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
    > On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
    >> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
    >> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
    >> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
    >> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
    >> have. Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
    >> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards, John Little

    >
    > Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
    > options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
    >
    > I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
    > card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?
    >

    I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
    of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.

    When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
    spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
    that it couldn't happen.


    Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)


    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, May 20, 2013
    #3
  4. John Little

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-05-19, Mutlley <> wrote:
    > JohnO <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
    >>> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone using the
    >>> ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink". This has been turned
    >>> off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
    >>> or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
    >>> dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Regards, John Little

    >>
    >>Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
    >>
    >>I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

    >
    > This sounds the same as Telecom did about a month ago with their
    > Mtopup system. It was real good for Prepay without a CC..
    >
    > Wonder if it's being driven from the banks to discontinue services
    > that don't use credit cards..


    Or do not make a profit, so they upped the price so the telcos stopped it.
     
    Gordon, May 20, 2013
    #4
  5. John Little

    Richard Guest

    On 5/20/2013 9:01 PM, EMB wrote:
    > On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    >>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    >>> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy
    >>> too.)

    >> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot of
    >> reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being debited.
    >> Of course the banks say this is impossible...
    >>

    > Reality seems to disagree http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804


    I have had present one card show when trying to pay with one of my
    contactless cards when my wallet was in my other hand a good 350mm off
    to one side. Had to put it down to get it to not read the one I wanted
    to read. Perhaps there is some other thru body coupling or something
    going on.

    So long as its not a debit card I have no worries about it. Wonder how
    it goes doing a chargeback on a card based on not wanting to charge it
    to that card. Like I dont put things under $250 on my gem visa, if
    something went thru on it when I didnt want it to would it be a huge
    challange to get it reversed or not?
     
    Richard, May 20, 2013
    #5
  6. John Little

    John Little Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.


    A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
    internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
    old enough now, but I wonder.

    --
    Regards, John Little
     
    John Little, May 20, 2013
    #6
  7. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    On May 20, 3:41 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little  wrote:
    > >> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
    > >> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
    > >> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
    > >> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
    > >> have.  Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
    > >> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?

    >
    > >> --

    >
    > >> Regards, John Little

    >
    > > Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
    > > options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.

    >
    > > I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
    > > card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

    >
    > I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
    > of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.
    >
    > When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
    > spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
    > that it couldn't happen.
    >
    > Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    > anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    > 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)
    >


    Seems like a risk to me. The visa guy interviewed on TV seemed to
    think that as the proximity required is ~ 1cm that people won't get
    skimmed but we'll see.

    Also there seems to be a risk of getting charged twice. I tried this
    technology yesterday. The first tap didn't work. Or did it? I needed
    to tap it again to get a transaction. I was careful to check the
    transaction online today for a duplicate - the bother of which
    cancelled the convenience of the tap transaction.
     
    JohnO, May 20, 2013
    #7
  8. In article <51999b81$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 20/05/13 08:01, JohnO wrote:
    >> On Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:23:58 UTC+12, John Little wrote:
    >>> My younger daughter used to top up her cheap Vodafone prepay phone
    >>> using the ASB automatically, the service was called "Hotlink".
    >>> This has been turned off, and I can't see any way to top up online
    >>> that does not involve a credit or debit card, which she does not
    >>> have. Is there a way to top up a prepay dumbphone without going to
    >>> a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?
    >>> Regards, John Little

    >>
    >> Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay
    >> options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.
    >>
    >> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos
    >> card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

    >I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
    >of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.


    It's not a direct replacement for cheques cos I can't put a "card wave" into
    an envelope and post it. Neither can I pay for things more than $80 using
    that system. :)


    >When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
    >spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
    >that it couldn't happen.


    That has happened to me as well. Only once though and it was fixed quickly.
    I was particularly amazed that a retailer could simply write my eftpos card
    number on a bit of paper with the amount, send that off to the bank, and my
    card would be charged. It was - I signed/OKed nothing at all. :) Their
    machine was broken at the time but still ... :)


    >Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    >anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    >'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)


    Actually, that's the *only* thing about the chip card I like. :)
    The idea that a PIN makes a credit card *more* secure seems completely wrong
    to me. I don't have a PIN ... so it can't be guessed/read from the card. Now
    that's secure. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, May 21, 2013
    #8
  9. In article <kncuuj$faq$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 20/05/2013 10:39 p.m., John Little wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.

    >>
    >> A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
    >> internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
    >> old enough now, but I wonder.
    >>

    >Buy at the local dairy/supermarket/etc or use an ASB ATM to grab a topup
    >- it works for my teenager sans credit card.


    ... perhaps a really good question might be ... why should we encourage them
    ? :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, May 21, 2013
    #9
  10. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    >>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    >>> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically
    >>> dodgy too.)

    >> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot of
    >> reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being
    >> debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...
    >>

    > Reality seems to disagree http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804


    Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!

    (I got a contactless-enabled card issued last time around - I didn't ask for
    it and when I rang about not wanting it at first I was told there'd be a $20
    fee for a "replacement card". After a couple of minutes of listrening to me
    they retracted that - but it would have involved quite a bit of drama to get
    a replacement and not get charged. Like, going to the branch, quoting a
    bloody long number..... So I didn't bother.)

    I didn't know about this sort of carry-on then though. :(
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
     
    ~misfit~, May 21, 2013
    #10
  11. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    On May 22, 12:36 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >
    > > On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > >> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >
    > >>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    > >>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    > >>> 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically
    > >>> dodgy too.)
    > >> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot of
    > >> reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being
    > >>   debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...

    >
    > > Reality seems to disagree  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

    >
    > Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!
    >


    LOL! Better a tin wallet than a tin hat, Shaun!
     
    JohnO, May 21, 2013
    #11
  12. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    On May 21, 10:09 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 21/05/2013 11:21 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article <kncuuj$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > >> On 20/05/2013 10:39 p.m., John Little wrote:
    > >>> JohnO wrote:

    >
    > >>>> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.

    >
    > >>> A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
    > >>> internet spending.  In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
    > >>> old enough now, but I wonder.

    >
    > >> Buy at the local dairy/supermarket/etc or use an ASB ATM to grab a topup
    > >> - it works for my teenager sans credit card.

    >
    > > .. perhaps a really good question might be ... why should we encourage them
    > > ? :)

    >
    > My lad stays in touch with me quite nicely via his cellphone.... "I'm
    > going to be late.", "I'm at the supermarket do you need anything?", "I'm
    > at the computer/tool/car parts shop - is xxxxxx for $yyyy a good buy?",
    > "How do I cook eye fillet?".  In light of that I can almost overlook all
    > the time spent on calls and texts to his (lovely) girlfriend.


    LOL! Ignore all that shit and just make sure he doesn't overcook the
    fillet!

    And stop perving at your son's gf for god's sake! :-D
     
    JohnO, May 21, 2013
    #12
  13. In article <knfh4a$1p7$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 21/05/2013 11:21 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <kncuuj$faq$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >>> On 20/05/2013 10:39 p.m., John Little wrote:
    >>>> JohnO wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I'd suggest she just gets a debit card.
    >>>>
    >>>> A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
    >>>> internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this,

    > she's
    >>>> old enough now, but I wonder.
    >>>>
    >>> Buy at the local dairy/supermarket/etc or use an ASB ATM to grab a topup
    >>> - it works for my teenager sans credit card.

    >>
    >> .. perhaps a really good question might be ... why should we encourage them
    >> ? :)
    >>

    >My lad stays in touch with me quite nicely via his cellphone.... "I'm
    >going to be late.", "I'm at the supermarket do you need anything?", "I'm
    >at the computer/tool/car parts shop - is xxxxxx for $yyyy a good buy?",
    >"How do I cook eye fillet?". In light of that I can almost overlook all
    >the time spent on calls and texts to his (lovely) girlfriend.


    ... how did we ever survive before cell phones I wonder ... oh wait ... we
    organised things *beforehand* ... and did what we said we'd do. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
    #13
  14. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On May 22, 12:36 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >>>> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >>
    >>>>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    >>>>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining
    >>>>> the 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems
    >>>>> technically dodgy too.)
    >>>> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot
    >>>> of reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being
    >>>> debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...

    >>
    >>> Reality seems to disagree
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

    >>
    >> Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!

    >
    > LOL! Better a tin wallet than a tin hat, Shaun!


    Wait! Are they mutually exclusive? ;)

    Good timing - I got a new replacement for my other credit card in the mail
    today and it too is 'tap and go' enabled!

    It just annoys me that they automatically send them out - and if history's
    anything to go by make it a PITA / expenisve to get one that *isn't* T&G
    enabled.
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
     
    ~misfit~, May 22, 2013
    #14
  15. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 22/05/2013 9:48 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Good timing - I got a new replacement for my other credit card in
    >> the mail today and it too is 'tap and go' enabled!
    >>
    >> It just annoys me that they automatically send them out - and if
    >> history's anything to go by make it a PITA / expenisve to get one
    >> that *isn't* T&G enabled.
    >>

    > There are a few DIY solutions to sort the NFC stuff out....
    >
    > http://knowak.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/r-i-p-paypass-mbank/


    Thanks for that.

    However I've not been 'lucky' lately and would likely inadvertantly have the
    drill-bit send a series of pulses to the chip as it rotates (and makes and
    breaks contact with the wires) that would re-programme the thing and result
    in my arrest and incarceration. ;)
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
     
    ~misfit~, May 22, 2013
    #15
  16. John Little

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-05-22, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >> On May 22, 12:36 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >>>>> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    >>>>>> anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining
    >>>>>> the 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems
    >>>>>> technically dodgy too.)
    >>>>> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a lot
    >>>>> of reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue) being
    >>>>> debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...
    >>>
    >>>> Reality seems to disagree
    >>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804
    >>>
    >>> Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!

    >>
    >> LOL! Better a tin wallet than a tin hat, Shaun!

    >
    > Wait! Are they mutually exclusive? ;)
    >
    > Good timing - I got a new replacement for my other credit card in the mail
    > today and it too is 'tap and go' enabled!
    >
    > It just annoys me that they automatically send them out - and if history's
    > anything to go by make it a PITA / expenisve to get one that *isn't* T&G
    > enabled.


    Nope, they just say that is not an option. Source Fair Go last night.
     
    Gordon, May 23, 2013
    #16
  17. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-05-22, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >>> On May 22, 12:36 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 20/05/2013 7:47 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >>>>>> On 20/05/2013 3:41 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>> Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads
    >>>>>>> make anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid
    >>>>>>> joining the 'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems
    >>>>>>> technically dodgy too.)
    >>>>>> Reports out of the UK make me want to run a mile - there are a
    >>>>>> lot of reports of random cards (eg the 2nd person in the queue)
    >>>>>> being debited. Of course the banks say this is impossible...
    >>>>
    >>>>> Reality seems to disagree
    >>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804
    >>>>
    >>>> Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!
    >>>
    >>> LOL! Better a tin wallet than a tin hat, Shaun!

    >>
    >> Wait! Are they mutually exclusive? ;)
    >>
    >> Good timing - I got a new replacement for my other credit card in
    >> the mail today and it too is 'tap and go' enabled!
    >>
    >> It just annoys me that they automatically send them out - and if
    >> history's anything to go by make it a PITA / expenisve to get one
    >> that *isn't* T&G enabled.

    >
    > Nope, they just say that is not an option. Source Fair Go last night.


    Ahh, thanks.
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
     
    ~misfit~, May 23, 2013
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mikedane

    vodafone lousy service with lead walls

    mikedane, Mar 1, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    724
    Walter Mautner
    Mar 2, 2007
  2. jack

    VODAFONE & $10 PREPAY CREDIT.

    jack, Jun 16, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    522
    Richard
    Jun 19, 2007
  3. Miche

    Re: Vodafone Prepay Expired date.

    Miche, Sep 10, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    413
    Miche
    Sep 11, 2008
  4. EMB

    Re: Vodafone Prepay Expired date.

    EMB, Sep 10, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    424
  5. David Empson

    Re: iPhone 3G on Prepay

    David Empson, Oct 29, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    349
    Your Name
    Oct 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page