    Vodafone NZ problem.

    Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(
    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013

  2. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:

    > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    >
    > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    > Vodafone NZ problem.
    >
    > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    What is "dial-up"?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2013

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <527ef80c$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    > On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    > > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    > > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    > > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    > > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    > >
    > > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    > > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    > > Vodafone NZ problem.
    > >
    > > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    > > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    > What is "dial-up"?

    Yep, that pretty much sums up Vodafone NZ's attitude as well. They also
    have no idea what an Apple Mac is either :-(
    Your Name, Nov 10, 2013
  4. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/11/13 16:25, Your Name wrote:
    > In article <527ef80c$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/11/13 15:55, Your Name wrote:
    >>>
    >>> They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    >>> via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    >>> "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    >>> issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    >>> time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    >>>
    >>> Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    >>> even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    >>> Vodafone NZ problem.
    >>>
    >>> Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    >>> *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    >> What is "dial-up"?

    > Yep, that pretty much sums up Vodafone NZ's attitude as well. They also
    > have no idea what an Apple Mac is either :-(

    There are only 100 people in the country who are still on dialup and
    they are mostly in Te Kuiti.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2013
  5. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    On Sunday, 10 November 2013 15:55:08 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    >
    > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    > Vodafone NZ problem.
    >
    > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    Why are you still on dial-up?
    JohnO, Nov 10, 2013
  6. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Sunday, 10 November 2013 15:55:08 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    > > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    > > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    > > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    > > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    > >
    > > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    > > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    > > Vodafone NZ problem.
    > >
    > > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    > > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    > Why are you still on dial-up?

    Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
    one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
    landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
    fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
    two together.

    Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
    country is still using dial-up.
    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  7. Your Name

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:02:30 +1300, geoff wrote:

    > What is dial-up ?

    Dial-up is defined by having to "dial up" or connect to one's Internet
    provider. Like for example my 7.2Mb/s MBB dial-up connection (which
    has an internal number of *99# to "dial" and open an Internet session
    via my Internet provider's SGSN/GGSN). "Dial-up" is the opposite of
    having an Internet connection which is intrinsically permanently on.

    Back in the BBS days of the 1980s, dial-up was usually (a) at speeds
    of 300b/s, 1200b/s or 2400b/s, and (b) over fixed-line copper wire.
    Thanks to technological advances, dial-up is (a) no longer limited to
    these speeds, and (b) can run over radio networks.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Nov 11, 2013
  8. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    On Monday, 11 November 2013 19:26:47 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > JohnO <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > > Why are you still on dial-up?

    > Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
    > one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
    > landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
    > fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
    > two together.
    >
    > Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
    > country is still using dial-up.

    The trouble is, very few web pages nowadays are designed to cater to dial-up speeds. They're generally assuming you are on broadband and not designing pages that can be easily viewed in text only.

    I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phone and internet.
    JohnO, Nov 11, 2013
  9. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Monday, 11 November 2013 19:26:47 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >
    > > JohnO <> wrote:
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Why are you still on dial-up?

    > > Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
    > > one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
    > > landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
    > > fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
    > > two together.
    > >
    > > Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
    > > country is still using dial-up.

    > The trouble is, very few web pages nowadays are designed to cater to dial-up
    > speeds. They're generally assuming you are on broadband and not designing
    > pages that can be easily viewed in text only.

    When it's working properly dial-up is fine for all the websites I use
    (I really can't be bothered watching nonsense like YouTube on my
    computer). In fact, the only few problems I have, other than hopeless
    Vodafone, are due to my computers OS being about 10 years old and not
    being able to use newer versions of Flash / Java.

    > I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget
    > prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phone and internet.

    That would be mobile internet, not landline internet. The idiotic data
    caps are even much smaller than the landline ones, plus the signal
    hassles.

    All I need is for Vodafone to actually learn how to run an Internet
    Service Provider, or sell the business to someone who wants to run one.
    Your Name, Nov 11, 2013
  10. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 09:51:10 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > In article <>,

    <snip>

    > > I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget
    > > prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phoneand internet.

    > That would be mobile internet, not landline internet.

    So why not use mobile internet instead? Ditch the landline/dial up and savesome money.

    > The idiotic data

    > caps are even much smaller than the landline ones, plus the signal

    As you are now on dial-up, your data usage will be so tiny that even the mobile data caps won't be an issue. But even if you up-size data to say around 1.5Gb a month (there is zero chance you will get near that) you are stillgetting voice, txt and broadband on your cellular device for much less than the cost of a landline alone.

    What does a home phone plus dial-up cost - $50 a month? For that you can get a cellular plan with 1.5Gb data, unlimited SMS and around 4 hours talk time. And you get broadband speed data, and you can hotspot your phone so youcan use it from any device wirelessly. and you can use it anywhere, not just at home.

    What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me) All I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

    > hassles.

    Depends where you live, but most places don't have coverage issues now, although I couldn't comment on the Vodafone/2degrees coverage. It's rare to find a home that can't see one network or another. Coverage issues outside ofhome are irrelevant in this conversation - your home internet doesn't havecoverage when you are not at home either!

    > All I need is for Vodafone to actually learn how to run an Internet
    > Service Provider, or sell the business to someone who wants to run one.

    Trouble is., nobody is interested in the dial up business anymore. There's no money in it, the few customers still on it are dwindling away so there'sno chance anyone would buy it. They couldn't give it away.
    JohnO, Nov 11, 2013
  11. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5rp9d$7f8$>, Bruce Sinclair
    <> wrote:
    > In article <111120131926473093%>, Your Name
    > <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > >JohnO <> wrote:

    > >> Why are you still on dial-up?

    > >Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
    > >one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
    > >landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
    > >fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
    > >two together.
    > >Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
    > >country is still using dial-up.

    > For me until quite recently, the main reason was dial up was free, with no
    > data limits (yes, appreciate there are some inherent ones in the speed :) ).
    >
    > Also, if not bothering with the stupid video web sites and such, dial up is
    > fast enough. Email and the occasional bank transaction was no problem. :)

    There's a similar reason behind the trouble they're having getting
    people to upgrade to fibre and why they're still charging the same
    price for "old" broadband - few people see any point in upgrading since
    broadband is fast enough for what they do.
    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2013
  13. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    JohnO <> wrote:

    > On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 09:51:10 UTC+13, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>,

    > <snip>
    > >
    > > > I think the cheapest option for phone and broadband now are the budget
    > > > prepaid cellular plans. $16 a month should get you a light volume phone
    > > > and internet.

    > > That would be mobile internet, not landline internet.

    > So why not use mobile internet instead? Ditch the landline/dial up and save
    > some money.
    >
    > > The idiotic data

    > > caps are even much smaller than the landline ones,

    > As you are now on dial-up, your data usage will be so tiny that even the
    > mobile data caps won't be an issue. But even if you up-size data to say
    > around 1.5Gb a month (there is zero chance you will get near that) you are
    > still getting voice, txt and broadband on your cellular device for much less
    > than the cost of a landline alone.
    >
    > What does a home phone plus dial-up cost - $50 a month? For that you can get
    > a cellular plan with 1.5Gb data, unlimited SMS and around 4 hours talk time.
    > And you get broadband speed data, and you can hotspot your phone so you can
    > use it from any device wirelessly. and you can use it anywhere, not just at
    > home.
    >
    > What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me) All
    > I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

    Free phone calls (in and out) is definitely one reason.

    As I said before, I don't really want phone and internet via the same
    company.

    I have no real problem in being a dial-up user ... the issue is that
    Vodafone NZ simply can't seem to run the service properly.

    Changing from the multiple ihug.co.nz email addresses used at MANY
    different places is far too much of a hassle to make switching to
    another provider worthwile ... besides, I'd have to keep paying
    Vodafone and another provider for a while to make sure we caught all
    the places to update, which makes it more expensive. I don't see why I
    should have to pay more simply because Vodafone is too hopeless and too
    lazy to properly run a service they say they provide.

    > > All I need is for Vodafone to actually learn how to run an Internet
    > > Service Provider, or sell the business to someone who wants to run one.

    > Trouble is., nobody is interested in the dial up business anymore.
    > There's no money in it, the few customers still on it are dwindling
    > away so there's no chance anyone would buy it. They couldn't give it
    > away.

    All the big ISPs still provide dial-up accounts, so it must be making
    them money, otherwise they would simply stop providing the service.
    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013
  14. In article <121120131325034947%>, Your Name <> wrote:
    >In article <l5rp9d$7f8$>, Bruce Sinclair
    ><> wrote:
    >> In article <111120131926473093%>, Your Name
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Mostly because even at Vodafone's over-inflated price, dial-up is
    >> >one-quarter the price of broadband / fibre. I also don't want my
    >> >landline and internet through the same company, and all the broadband /
    >> >fibre plans (or at least all those advertised) insist on bundling the
    >> >two together.
    >> >Depending on which statistics you want to believe, 7%-10% of the
    >> >country is still using dial-up.

    >> For me until quite recently, the main reason was dial up was free, with no
    >> data limits (yes, appreciate there are some inherent ones in the speed :) ).
    >>
    >> Also, if not bothering with the stupid video web sites and such, dial up is
    >> fast enough. Email and the occasional bank transaction was no problem. :)

    >There's a similar reason behind the trouble they're having getting
    >people to upgrade to fibre and why they're still charging the same
    >price for "old" broadband - few people see any point in upgrading since
    >broadband is fast enough for what they do.

    More importantly, there's no point in having really fast interweb thingy if
    you have a low data cap. Why (for example) would I want to/need to be able
    to download my monthly limit in an hour ? :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2013
  15. In article <121120131333506565%>, Your Name <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> What does a home phone plus dial-up cost - $50 a month? For that you can get
    >> a cellular plan with 1.5Gb data, unlimited SMS and around 4 hours talk time.
    >> And you get broadband speed data, and you can hotspot your phone so you can
    >> use it from any device wirelessly. and you can use it anywhere, not just at
    >> home.
    >> What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me) All
    >> I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

    Quality for me. Mobile phones are often so bad the person is
    incomprehensible. I've no idea what that sort of quality signal would get
    you for internet ?

    >All the big ISPs still provide dial-up accounts, so it must be making
    >them money, otherwise they would simply stop providing the service.

    They have all the kit - may as well use it until it breaks. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2013
  16. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5s99q$i98$>, Bruce Sinclair
    <> wrote:

    > In article <121120131325034947%>, Your Name
    > <> wrote:
    > >In article <l5rp9d$7f8$>, Bruce Sinclair
    > ><> wrote:

    > >> For me until quite recently, the main reason was dial up was free, with no
    > >> data limits (yes, appreciate there are some inherent ones in the speed :)
    > >> ).
    > >>
    > >> Also, if not bothering with the stupid video web sites and such, dial up
    > >> is fast enough. Email and the occasional bank transaction was no problem.
    > >> :)

    > >There's a similar reason behind the trouble they're having getting
    > >people to upgrade to fibre and why they're still charging the same
    > >price for "old" broadband - few people see any point in upgrading since
    > >broadband is fast enough for what they do.

    > More importantly, there's no point in having really fast interweb thingy if
    > you have a low data cap. Why (for example) would I want to/need to be able
    > to download my monthly limit in an hour ? :) :)

    Yep, that too, although most people have no understanding about the
    data cap limits. They often just go over the limit and get charged for
    more data (or wonder why their connection is so slow for those still on
    plans that get the speed dropped), and then simply do less online the
    next few months.
    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013
  17. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l5s9e7$i98$>, Bruce Sinclair
    <> wrote:

    > In article <121120131333506565%>, Your Name
    > <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    > >> What does a home phone plus dial-up cost - $50 a month? For that you can
    > >> get
    > >> a cellular plan with 1.5Gb data, unlimited SMS and around 4 hours talk
    > >> time.
    > >> And you get broadband speed data, and you can hotspot your phone so you can
    > >> use it from any device wirelessly. and you can use it anywhere, not just at
    > >> home.
    > >> What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me)
    > >> All
    > >> I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

    > Quality for me. Mobile phones are often so bad the person is
    > incomprehensible. I've no idea what that sort of quality signal would get
    > you for internet ?

    Yep, that's another reason.

    Plus the extra electricity you use keep charging the silly phone, then
    the battery gives up (or you drop it or lose it) and then you have to
    buy a new phone, etc., etc. It's largely a never ending cycle of money
    wastage ... often by people who walays claim to have no money. :-\

    > >All the big ISPs still provide dial-up accounts, so it must be making
    > >them money, otherwise they would simply stop providing the service.

    > They have all the kit - may as well use it until it breaks. :)

    If it wasn't profitable to some degree they would simply bin all the
    equipment (or sell it to some third world country) to save on the
    electricity charges.
    Your Name, Nov 12, 2013
  18. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <101120131555084227%>, Your Name
    <> wrote:

    > They *finally* fixed the months of on-going problems trying to log on
    > via a dial-up connection, and now it looks like their stupid
    > "invisible" poxy proxy server is playing up yet again. There are huge
    > issues trying to connect to various websites, most of which pause and
    > time out when trying to connect to Google for api's etc.
    >
    > Email is fine, newsgroups are fine, I've tried another computer and
    > even taking the laptop to someone else's house ... so it's definitely a
    > Vodafone NZ problem.
    >
    > Do these guys even know how to or care about running an actual Internet
    > *SERVICE* Provider?? X-(

    Oh goody! The useless morons have "fixed" it and now it's even worse
    with even more difficulty getting most websites to load. X-(
    Your Name, Nov 13, 2013
  19. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 17:05:29 UTC+13, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <121120131333506565%>, Your Name <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > >> What is the landline advantage? Other than coverage (not an issue for me) All
    > >> I can think of is that others can call you locally without charge?

    > Quality for me. Mobile phones are often so bad the person is
    > incomprehensible. I've no idea what that sort of quality signal would get
    > you for internet ?

    That would be a coverage issue, and the OP is looking at home phone and internet so it comes down to coverage/signal at his home. If it has a good local cell site then signal and quality shouldn't be an issue.

    > >All the big ISPs still provide dial-up accounts, so it must be making
    > >them money, otherwise they would simply stop providing the service.

    Nah. If it made money, they'd look for customers.

    > They have all the kit - may as well use it until it breaks. :)

    Yep, it is zero cost to them.
    JohnO, Nov 14, 2013
  20. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    JohnO <> wrote:

    > On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 17:05:29 UTC+13, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > > In article <121120131333506565%>, Your Name
    > > <> wrote:

    > <snip>

    > > Quality for me. Mobile phones are often so bad the person is
    > > incomprehensible. I've no idea what that sort of quality signal would get
    > > you for internet ?

    > That would be a coverage issue, and the OP is looking at home phone and
    > internet

    <snip>

    The OP (me) was wanting the absolutely useless morons at Vodafone NZ to
    actually provide the service I'm paying them for!! :-(

    It's pointless bothering to ring the fools since they only ever say
    that there is no problem and try to fix my Mac using Windows'
    instructions. Then weeks later (after no doubt "enough" people have
    complained "enough" times to make them actually look at the problem)
    will they eventually fix it, without me making any changes to my
    computer at all.
    Your Name, Nov 14, 2013