    Anyone have any experience or comments?

    Am thinking of switching over. Their package is 20GB for the same
    price as Telecom's 10GB, plus they throw in a MySky upgrade.

    JohnO, Jun 5, 2010

  2. On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 19:49:21 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > Anyone have any experience or comments?
    >
    > Am thinking of switching over. Their package is 20GB for the same
    > price as Telecom's 10GB, plus they throw in a MySky upgrade.

    I have used them for a long time and have had no probs.

    Robin Halligan, Jun 5, 2010

  3. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 5/06/2010 5:57 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    >>
    >> Far to many complaints about Vodafone's

    > Best option bar none for mobile though Woger.

    The twat nym-shifted again! (I'm sure I've seen that one before, must have a
    different email addy.) Thanks for the heads up EMB.

    <plonk> "Suzie Wong". (What's up with that? 90% of people know his real name
    but he insists on using lots of different aliases, a distubing amount of
    them female....)
    --
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2010
  4. JohnO

    Gib Bogle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > On 5/06/2010 2:49 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >> Anyone have any experience or comments?
    >>
    >> Am thinking of switching over. Their package is 20GB for the same
    >> price as Telecom's 10GB, plus they throw in a MySky upgrade.

    > Pre-cabinetisation I got ~7Mb/s connect speeds with Telecom.

    That's interesting. I'm with Vodafone, and live in Te Atatu. I get ~3Mb/s with
    their speed test. I'm wondering if I would get some improvement by paying some
    attention to my telephone wiring.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 7, 2010
  5. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> On 5/06/2010 2:49 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>> Anyone have any experience or comments?
    >>>
    >>> Am thinking of switching over. Their package is 20GB for the same
    >>> price as Telecom's 10GB, plus they throw in a MySky upgrade.

    >> Pre-cabinetisation I got ~7Mb/s connect speeds with Telecom.

    > That's interesting. I'm with Vodafone, and live in Te Atatu. I get
    > ~3Mb/s with their speed test. I'm wondering if I would get some
    > improvement by paying some attention to my telephone wiring.

    Probably, loads of people on geekzone reporting that is the case.

    IMO the ISPs should not entertain any complaints about speed or
    disconnection until people have had their internal wiring sorted out.

    Richard, Jun 7, 2010
  6. JohnO

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> Pre-cabinetisation I got ~7Mb/s connect speeds with Telecom.

    >> That's interesting. I'm with Vodafone, and live in Te Atatu. I get
    >> ~3Mb/s with their speed test. I'm wondering if I would get some
    >> improvement by paying some attention to my telephone wiring.

    > Probably, loads of people on geekzone reporting that is the case.
    >
    > IMO the ISPs should not entertain any complaints about speed or
    > disconnection until people have had their internal wiring sorted out.

    Can you recommend a good source for info on what is required?

    Gib Bogle, Jun 7, 2010
  7. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-06-07, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 7/06/2010 12:57 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Probably, loads of people on geekzone reporting that is the case.
    >>>
    >>> IMO the ISPs should not entertain any complaints about speed or
    >>> disconnection until people have had their internal wiring sorted out.

    >> Can you recommend a good source for info on what is required?

    > http://www.tcf.org.nz/content/dc07abcd-21f8-4288-b55b-6f861bdd4d02.html

    Interesting site.

    However, to me bedrooms are for three things; sleeping, (un)dressing and
    sex. Still I seem to be way out in the minority on this

    Gordon, Jun 7, 2010
  8. JohnO

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Jun 8, 2010
  9. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 5, 4:39 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/06/2010 2:49 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone have any experience or comments?

    > > Am thinking of switching over. Their package is 20GB for the same
    > > price as Telecom's 10GB, plus they throw in a MySky upgrade.

    > Pre-cabinetisation I got ~7Mb/s connect speeds with Telecom.  Post
    > cabinetisation I get ~18Mb/s.  I'm in Vodafone's "Red Zone" so a
    > connection to the is not a resold Telecom product, which is all good,
    > except it is a link right back to the exchange and gives my neighbour
    > the ~7Mb/s connect speeds as per the original Telecom performance.  Also
    > compared to Telecom the international bandwidth on said neighbour's
    > Vodafone connection seems to somewhat lacking.
    >
    > Oh, you lose unlimited national toll calls when you make the change too.

    I don't care about the tolls, but having upgraded my modem I now get >
    17Mbps and if moving to Voda means I go back to ADSL1 speeds it's a no-
    brainer. I'm not in the red zone.

    JohnO, Jun 10, 2010
  10. JohnO

    Another Me Guest

    On 11/06/10 12:02 AM, JohnO wrote:

    > I don't care about the tolls, but having upgraded my modem I now get>
    > 17Mbps and if moving to Voda means I go back to ADSL1 speeds it's a no-
    > brainer. I'm not in the red zone.

    Has Telecom not upgraded your area yet? I am on Vodafone (NOT the red
    zone) and I get 15Mbps

    Another Me, Jun 10, 2010
  11. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 11, 10:41 am, Another Me <> wrote:
    > On 11/06/10 12:02 AM, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > I don't care about the tolls, but having upgraded my modem I now get>
    > > 17Mbps and if moving to Voda means I go back to ADSL1 speeds it's a no-
    > > brainer. I'm not in the red zone.

    > Has Telecom not upgraded your area yet?  I am on Vodafone (NOT the red
    > zone) and I get 15Mbps

    I stated previously that I am getting around 17Mbps on xtra.

    I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    retain the same performance.

    Cheers,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jun 11, 2010
  12. JohnO

    Another Me Guest

    On 11/06/10 8:23 PM, JohnO wrote:

    > I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    > change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    > same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    > Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    > retain the same performance.

    Well since moving to this place we have only been on Vodafone, but by
    being in Invercargill no one puts their own gear in. But as I say, my
    modem reports I can get a maximum of 18Mbps, and I am currently getting
    15Mbps, and when I perform speed tests I generally get around 15Mbps for
    the results.

    Another Me, Jun 11, 2010
  13. On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:23:59 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > On Jun 11, 10:41 am, Another Me <> wrote:
    >> On 11/06/10 12:02 AM, JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't care about the tolls, but having upgraded my modem I now get>
    >>> 17Mbps and if moving to Voda means I go back to ADSL1 speeds it's a no-
    >>> brainer. I'm not in the red zone.

    >> Has Telecom not upgraded your area yet?  I am on Vodafone (NOT the red
    >> zone) and I get 15Mbps

    > I stated previously that I am getting around 17Mbps on xtra.
    >
    > I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    > change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    > same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    > Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    > retain the same performance.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > JohnO

    Just checked my speed on vodafone (with the wife on her puter playing World
    of Warcraft and running vent i got

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3407 kbps (425.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 55 ms

    Robin Halligan, Jun 12, 2010
  14. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 12, 1:04 pm, Robin Halligan <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:23:59 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > >> Has Telecom not upgraded your area yet? I am on Vodafone (NOT the red
    > >> zone) and I get 15Mbps

    > > I stated previously that I am getting around 17Mbps on xtra.

    > > I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    > > change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    > > same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    > > Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    > > retain the same performance.

    > > Cheers,
    > > JohnO

    > Just checked my speed on vodafone (with the wife on her puter playing World
    > of Warcraft and running vent i got
    >
    > Last Result:
    > Download Speed: 3407 kbps (425.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Latency: 55 ms

    Do you have an ADSL2+ modem? Those sound like ADSL1.

    JohnO, Jun 12, 2010
  15. On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > On Jun 12, 1:04 pm, Robin Halligan <> wrote:

    >>> I stated previously that I am getting around 17Mbps on xtra.

    >>> I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    >>> change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    >>> same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    >>> Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    >>> retain the same performance.

    >>> Cheers,
    >>> JohnO

    >> Just checked my speed on vodafone (with the wife on her puter playing World
    >> of Warcraft and running vent i got
    >>
    >> Last Result:
    >> Download Speed: 3407 kbps (425.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >> Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >> Latency: 55 ms

    > Do you have an ADSL2+ modem? Those sound like ADSL1.

    Adsl 1 i think older D-Link router

    Robin Halligan, Jun 12, 2010
  16. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 13, 10:55 am, Robin Halligan <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > >> Just checked my speed on vodafone (with the wife on her puter playing World
    > >> of Warcraft and running vent i got

    > >> Last Result:
    > >> Download Speed: 3407 kbps (425.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > >> Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > >> Latency: 55 ms

    > > Do you have an ADSL2+ modem? Those sound like ADSL1.

    > Adsl 1 i think older D-Link router

    Ah. With good wiring and being almost right next door to the cabinet I
    got 6-7Mbps with an ADSL1 modem. Getting the ADSL2+ modem instantly
    got me 17Mbps. So there's every possibilityupgrading your modem will
    double your speed.

    Some modems can be upgraded from ADSL1 to ADSL2 with a free firmware
    upgrade. Worth looking up the D-Link support website.

    JohnO, Jun 13, 2010
  17. On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:12:33 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

    > On Jun 13, 10:55 am, Robin Halligan <> wrote:

    >>> Do you have an ADSL2+ modem? Those sound like ADSL1.

    >> Adsl 1 i think older D-Link router

    > Ah. With good wiring and being almost right next door to the cabinet I
    > got 6-7Mbps with an ADSL1 modem. Getting the ADSL2+ modem instantly
    > got me 17Mbps. So there's every possibilityupgrading your modem will
    > double your speed.
    >
    > Some modems can be upgraded from ADSL1 to ADSL2 with a free firmware
    > upgrade. Worth looking up the D-Link support website.

    I will look into it

    Robin Halligan, Jun 13, 2010
  18. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 11, 9:34 pm, Another Me <> wrote:
    > On 11/06/10 8:23 PM, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > I just need to determine whether there is a loss of performance if I
    > > change to vodafone. I assume if I still connect to a similar or the
    > > same card in the same cabinet then the performance will be the same.
    > > Is that true? Based on your own experience it seems that I would
    > > retain the same performance.

    > Well since moving to this place we have only been on Vodafone, but by
    > being in Invercargill no one puts their own gear in.  But as I say, my
    > modem reports I can get a maximum of 18Mbps, and I am currently getting
    > 15Mbps, and when I perform speed tests I generally get around 15Mbps for
    > the results.

    Ok, I've switched to Vodafone. The modem itself reports 945 / 19.897
    up/down speeds but speedtest to vodafone.co.nz reports about 16.7 so
    it's about the same as before with xtra .

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jun 14, 2010