    use.

    I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    a mobile data card.

    Craig Shore, Sep 11, 2006

  2. T'was the Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:35:40 +1200 when I remembered Craig
    Shore <> saying something like this:

    >Damm shame it's too expensive to use.

    Especially on the casual data plan, $10 a MB. Even a basic data plan
    on account slashes that to a fifth of the price. As for prepaid, alas.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    Phil Guest

    Craig Shore wrote, On 11/09/06 10.35 p:
    > I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    > a mobile data card.

    Neither can I.
    I was tempted to poke them on this at one of their Vodafone mobile
    business things... but I hadn't navigated my way to the free lunch yet.

    -Phil

    Phil, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Craig Shore

    Vista Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    > connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how
    > bloody easy
    > it was.
    >
    > I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software on
    > the
    > laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like
    > when
    > you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    > message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the
    > internet,
    > Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too expensive
    > use.
    >
    > I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell
    > out for
    > a mobile data card.

    Access over a bluetooth connection wouldn't be as fast as it would be over a
    3G connect card would it?

    Vista, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > Access over a bluetooth connection wouldn't be as fast as it would be over
    > a 3G connect card would it?

    I couldn't believe the first time I saw someone using a laptop with 3G
    connect card running their desktop off their office PC back in Napier.
    Glacially slow, very expensive, impossible to do anything with it locally.
    Why do people do things like that?

    Stu Fleming, Sep 11, 2006
  6. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:59:03 +1200, "Stu Fleming" <> wrote:

    >"Vista" <> wrote in message
    >> Access over a bluetooth connection wouldn't be as fast as it would be over
    >> a 3G connect card would it?

    >I couldn't believe the first time I saw someone using a laptop with 3G
    >connect card running their desktop off their office PC back in Napier.
    >Glacially slow, very expensive, impossible to do anything with it locally.
    >Why do people do things like that?

    Actually it's not too bad if you buy the 1 gig plan, which is $49.95+GST a
    month. But there isn't really anything useful below that as the pricing is that
    high for bugger all data you might as well be on the 1 gig plan.

    Craig Shore, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Craig Shore

    thingy Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    8><---

    > I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    > a mobile data card.

    Business users who dont pay for the connection and who consider
    themselves important
    enough to warrant the cost will get 3G....certainly the only people who
    I have seen using it seem
    to be possing in cafes more than anything.

    ;]

    I find it interesting that the phone companies bought heavily into 3G
    only to find the uptake has been very slow,
    somehow they thought they could make a killing but it looks like they
    will be the fodder....

    IMHO, they have an expensive technology that gets/will get bypassed by
    wi-fi and in the future wi-max
    for a fraction of the cost....spot the dinosaur....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 11, 2006
  8. Craig Shore

    SNOman Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    > connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how bloody easy
    > it was.
    >
    > I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software on the
    > laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like when
    > you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    > message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the internet,
    > Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too expensive to
    > use.
    >
    > I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    > a mobile data card.

    Sign up for 2 years and the card is free and 1Gb of data is only
    $49/mth. Been using it for a while and it's great.

    SNOman, Sep 11, 2006
  9. Craig Shore

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Stu Fleming <> wrote:
    > I couldn't believe the first time I saw someone using a laptop with 3G
    > connect card running their desktop off their office PC back in Napier.
    > Glacially slow, very expensive, impossible to do anything with it locally.
    > Why do people do things like that?

    which carrier are they with, and whereabouts in Nelson are they? if
    on Vodafone, it's entirely possible they were in a marginal coverage
    area and the card had fallen back to GPRS.

    3G is impressively fast... as long as you're within coverage :/

    also, I think this is the first mention I've seen of someone using 3G
    (or trying to!) on a desktop. I looked into it for one of our offices
    and it took me half of forever to find a PCMCIA converter card. even
    with Vodafone teaming up with DSE, it didn't seem to occur to either
    that there might be hordes of rural customers outside broadband areas
    whose home desktop PCs might be a natural sales target... pillocks.

    (*then*, of course, I found out that Te Poi was *nowhere* near
    Vodafone's coverage and just outside Telecom's. oops.)

    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.

    Bryce Utting, Sep 11, 2006
  10. Craig Shore

    Vista Guest

    "SNOman" <spam_sux@sod_off.com> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    >> connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how
    >> bloody easy
    >> it was.
    >>
    >> I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software on
    >> the
    >> laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like
    >> when
    >> you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    >> message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the
    >> internet,
    >> Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too
    >> expensive to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell
    >> out for
    >> a mobile data card.
    >>

    > Sign up for 2 years and the card is free and 1Gb of data is only $49/mth.
    > Been using it for a while and it's great.

    The are coming out with a whole lot of new plans soon. I pesonally wouldn't
    want to be locked into such a contract due to pricing plans changing and new
    plans being introduced.

    Vista, Sep 12, 2006
  11. Craig Shore

    JohnO Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    > connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how bloody easy
    > it was.
    >
    > I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software on the
    > laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like when
    > you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    > message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the internet,
    > Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too expensive to
    > use.
    >
    > I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    > a mobile data card.

    On vodafone do you get the same data rate via a phone as via a
    datacard? On Telecon mobile "broadband" my CDMA phone only gets about
    100kbit/s but a t3g data card gets me typically around 1mbit/s.

    Data gets almost reasonable if you prepay enough cap - I recall it's
    $50/mo for 1Gb and that gets you the data card free on a 2yr contract.

    JohnO, Sep 12, 2006
  12. Craig Shore

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "SNOman" <spam_sux@sod_off.com> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>> Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    >>> connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how
    >>> bloody easy
    >>> it was.
    >>>
    >>> I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software
    >>> on the
    >>> laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like
    >>> when
    >>> you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up
    >>> message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the
    >>> internet,
    >>> Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too
    >>> expensive to
    >>> use.
    >>>
    >>> I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell
    >>> out for
    >>> a mobile data card.
    >>>

    >> Sign up for 2 years and the card is free and 1Gb of data is only $49/mth.
    >> Been using it for a while and it's great.
    >>

    > The are coming out with a whole lot of new plans soon. I pesonally
    > wouldn't want to be locked into such a contract due to pricing plans
    > changing and new plans being introduced.

    It's Vodafone remember, not Telecom. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Sep 12, 2006
  13. Craig Shore

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "Bryce Utting" <> wrote in message
    > Stu Fleming <> wrote:
    >> I couldn't believe the first time I saw someone using a laptop with 3G
    >> connect card running their desktop off their office PC back in Napier.
    >> Glacially slow, very expensive, impossible to do anything with it
    >> locally.
    >> Why do people do things like that?

    > which carrier are they with, and whereabouts in Nelson are they? if
    > on Vodafone, it's entirely possible they were in a marginal coverage
    > area and the card had fallen back to GPRS.

    Pretty marginal coverage to Nelson from Dunedin CBD...I'd imagine they were
    on GPRS there as the only (?) 3G hotspot is at the airport.

    Stu Fleming, Sep 12, 2006
  14. Craig Shore

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in news:1158021838.774693.41000
    @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Data gets almost reasonable if you prepay enough cap - I recall it's
    > $50/mo for 1Gb and that gets you the data card free on a 2yr contract.

    A co-worker got that because it was cheaper and better than using the hotel
    ISP he was staying in all the time!

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 12, 2006
  15. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 11 Sep 2006 17:43:58 -0700, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    >> connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how bloody easy
    >> it was.
    >>
    >> I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software on the
    >> laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing like when
    >> you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    >> message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the internet,
    >> Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too expensive to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to shell out for
    >> a mobile data card.

    >On vodafone do you get the same data rate via a phone as via a
    >datacard? On Telecon mobile "broadband" my CDMA phone only gets about
    >100kbit/s but a t3g data card gets me typically around 1mbit/s.

    I switched my connection to just over 900kbps to the phone with the phone in 3g
    coverage. It still seemed to be slow at connecting to www sites, but did seem
    to load them up quick. Couldn't remember the speed test site to test it.

    Craig Shore, Sep 12, 2006
  16. Craig Shore

    Philip Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Staying at a motel on the weekend, I decided to see if I could get a net
    >> connection via my cellphone using bluetooth. I couldn't believe how
    >> bloody easy
    >> it was.
    >>
    >> I just double clicked the Dial Up networking on the bluetooth software
    >> on the
    >> laptop, it came up with the dial up networking dialing prompt thing
    >> like when
    >> you use a normal phone line, I clicked connect, the cellphone popped up a
    >> message saying the laptop wanted to use the cellphone to access the
    >> internet,
    >> Yes or No. I clicked Yes, and it was away. Damm shame it's too
    >> expensive to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to
    >> shell out for
    >> a mobile data card.
    >>

    > Sign up for 2 years and the card is free and 1Gb of data is only
    > $49/mth. Been using it for a while and it's great.

    Yep, every week when I go to Auckland, I have full 3G, in my room, in
    the train, in the car, wherever. Very choice.

    Back in the Bay of Islands it's back to GPRS, which both crawls and sucks.

    Now what I want is the same connectivity in the same plan in Oz. I
    wonder if Vodafone realise how many more people would sign up if the
    dropped the ludicrous "roaming" differential? They could wipe the floor
    with the competition, in both countries.

    Philip

    Philip, Sep 12, 2006
  17. Craig Shore

    Phil Guest

    Vista wrote, On 11/09/06 11.39 p:
    > Access over a bluetooth connection wouldn't be as fast as it would be over a
    > 3G connect card would it?

    Bluetooth 2 can do up to about 3Mbps, but most phones also support these
    connections over USB.

    -Phil

    Phil, Sep 12, 2006
  18. Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:59:03 +1200, "Stu Fleming" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>> Access over a bluetooth connection wouldn't be as fast as it would be over
    >>> a 3G connect card would it?

    >> I couldn't believe the first time I saw someone using a laptop with 3G
    >> connect card running their desktop off their office PC back in Napier.
    >> Glacially slow, very expensive, impossible to do anything with it locally.
    >> Why do people do things like that?

    > Actually it's not too bad if you buy the 1 gig plan, which is $49.95+GST a
    > month. But there isn't really anything useful below that as the pricing is that
    > high for bugger all data you might as well be on the 1 gig plan.

    Broadband in your back pocket will become a reality for New Zealanders on 1
    October with the launch of Vodafone 3G broadband.

    Stanners says Vodafone is able to offer super-fast 3G broadband speeds through
    an upgrade to its 3G network, launched in August last year. New Zealand is one
    of the first countries in the world to introduce the High Speed Downlink Packet
    Access (HSDPA) upgrade.

    “This upgrade introduces a host of new features, but the most important is the
    stunning connectivity speeds,” says Stanners.

    “From 1 October our 3G network will deliver a theoretical maximum speed of
    3.6Mbps. We expect customers to be blown away by the average performance of
    800Kbps-1.4Mbps. This is 58 times faster than dial up and considerably faster
    than most entry level conventional broad band services, and you can connect at
    these speeds at or away from home.”

    Vodafone will deliver speeds up to 3.6Mbps in Auckland, Wellington and
    Christchurch. HSDPA will also be available in other areas with 3G coverage but
    will initially operate at speeds below 1Mbps. Speeds in these centres and
    others will increase over the next 18 months as part of a deployment programme
    now being developed.

    Prices start at $29.95 for 200MB or 1GB for $49.95. For an additional $10 per
    month, customers will receive ‘bundle insurance’ - a data cap extension for
    those months they hit or by-pass their limit.

    http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0609/S00178.htm

    Mark Robinson, Sep 12, 2006
  19. Craig Shore

    -=rjh=- Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    > 8><---
    >
    >> I can't see why anyone with a laptop with bluetooth would want to
    >> shell out for
    >> a mobile data card.

    > Business users who dont pay for the connection and who consider
    > themselves important
    > enough to warrant the cost will get 3G....certainly the only people who
    > I have seen using it seem
    > to be possing in cafes more than anything.

    Hey, you are hardly likely to see them using it at home :)

    > ;]

    It's no joke - some government departments provide some of their staff
    with both a 3G phone AND a 3G data card. Seems absolutely a waste of
    money to me - especially when there are better options for home use.

    Bet they get an ipod at christmas, too :)

    -=rjh=-, Sep 12, 2006