    their impressions as to to ease of setup or anyohter comments. I plan
    to use RH9.

    Thank you
    costas menico, Sep 25, 2003

  2. costas menico

    TC Guest

    "costas menico" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I want to setup a small inhouse VoIP system. I am looking at VOCAL and
    > Asterisk both on Linux. It seems Asterisk has more activity in their
    > mail list but the documentation is really disorganized and hard to
    > follow. VOCAL seems more organized but doesn't seem to be as active in
    > the mailing lists. Also it is owned by Cisco which means they probably
    > would be biased towards Cisco hardware and the community may not be
    > inclined to submit code.
    >
    > Still, I wanted to know if someone has looked at either of these and
    > their impressions as to to ease of setup or anyohter comments. I plan
    > to use RH9.

    As the name imples VOCAL
    Vovida Open Communication Application Library
    it is a hodge podge set of lib & server applications to be used as VOIP
    building blocks
    AND it does not address some of the VoIP protocols & codecs.
    It lacks the comprehensive intergration and levels of abstraction about the
    concept
    of a call that asterisk has designed for. Its heritage is VoIP, asterisk is
    a generic
    call processing engine.

    Asterisk is a full featured/comprehensive PBX Private Branch Exchange
    that seemless translates
    protocols tdm,sip, h323, iax, mgcp, ciscos sccp,
    AND
    and codecs (ulaw, alaw, ilibc, speex, g729, gsm).

    It has a simple dialplan processor allowing you to script the path of a
    calls flow
    independent of the protocol/codec. It also allows any user script engine
    (perl, phython, java etc) to drive the call fow via Asterisk Common Gateway
    interface.

    As you also noted asterisk is active VOCAL is not.
    Asterisk is simply a better choice for most applications, and more ppl are
    using it ..
    & it can be turn key in a few hours for a simple test VoiP application,
    assuming you have
    other supported VoIP devices to test with AND you have comfort level with
    compiling applications
    from sources
    TC, Sep 25, 2003

  3. costas menico

    Peter Guest

    > I want to setup a small inhouse VoIP system. I am looking at VOCAL and
    > Asterisk both on Linux. It seems Asterisk has more activity in their
    > mail list but the documentation is really disorganized and hard to

    You're talking to Asterisk crowd here... guess what the recommendation is
    going to be? :)

    Let me just add my voice to the chorus - Asterisk is the way to go. Initial
    setup can be a bit daunting, but after you've overcome the initial hurdles
    it works beatifully, and can accomodate practically your every whim &
    desire. I'm sure you can get all the help you need in this NG and
    Asterisk-users mailinglist.

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 25, 2003
  4. I just ordered the Asterisk Developers Lite kit. I am planning to
    install RH9 to try this.

    Is there a doc that basically tells you the steps to install Asterisk
    and get it up and running? Like I said, Vocal has a pretty organized
    dcoument to setup as well as the API calls (and a book). Anything
    similar for Asterisk?

    Thanks
    costas menico, Sep 26, 2003
  5. costas menico

    Peter Guest

    > Is there a doc that basically tells you the steps to install Asterisk
    > and get it up and running? Like I said, Vocal has a pretty organized
    > dcoument to setup as well as the API calls (and a book). Anything
    > similar for Asterisk?

    Have you looked at Asterisk Handbook? It's not exactly what you're looking
    for, but close. Also I'd suggest searching this NG & asterisk-users archives
    for sample setups, I remember people asking for a simple SIP config sample

    Not sure, but since you're ordering the devkit won't Digium provide you some
    support?

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 26, 2003