VOCAL SER SIPX NIST ASTERISK DYNAMICSOFT WHICH IS THE BEST FOR LARGESCALE DEPLOYMENT

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Brian Young, May 4, 2004.

  1. Brian Young

    Brian Young Guest

    Hello all,

    I've been investigating a new business that involves VOIP and will
    probably need to scale hopefully into the 100s of thousands of users.
    I've spend the last two weeks evaluating VOCAL (which I like) and I've
    just started on SER. Which leaves me with SIPX, ASTERISK and NIST-SIP
    on the open source side and Dynamicsoft (who claim to be the 'gold
    standard' on the commercial side. I'd like to start a thread here to
    get people who have deployed each of these solutions to start talking
    about the pros and cons of each. Here is the criteria I would like to
    evaluate each on:

    Higher numbers are better

    Ease of installation: (1-5)

    Quality of Documentation: (1-5)

    Level of development activity:(1-5)

    Scalablility:(1-5)

    Standard features:(1-5)

    Unique features:(1-5)

    User provisioning capabilities:(1-5)

    Availability of commercial support:(1-5)

    Real world implementation (verifiable implemenations) (1-5)

    Put most importantly, I'd like to get some realworld implementation
    comments from people who are actually using these products. They all
    look pretty good at the installation phase, but I'd like to hear from
    people who have actually deployed to try to understand where the problem
    areas.

    Thanks,

    BY

    PS Its kind of a shame that we cant get all these talented people to
    work on a single project.

    Brian Young, May 4, 2004

  2. Re: VOCAL SER SIPX NIST ASTERISK DYNAMICSOFT WHICH IS THE BEST FORLARGE

    Hello!

    > I've been investigating a new business that involves VOIP and will
    > probably need to scale hopefully into the 100s of thousands of users.
    > I've spend the last two weeks evaluating VOCAL (which I like) and I've
    > just started on SER. Which leaves me with SIPX, ASTERISK and NIST-SIP
    > on the open source side and Dynamicsoft (who claim to be the 'gold

    There is PortaSIP (www.portaone.com), which is:
    - open-source
    - integrated the best available open-source components, such as SER or Vovida
    - commercial (so you get all of the benefits like good documentation,
    support, ...)
    - easy-to-use and integrated with the billing

    > Higher numbers are better
    >
    > Ease of installation: (1-5)

    5 - installation CD contains FreeBSD, all the required packages and the
    software. Takes about 10 minutes to install the server for a person with
    basic technical knowledge (you just have to answer few simple questions
    like IP addresses, time zone, ...)

    > Quality of Documentation: (1-5)

    4.5, see it yourself, it is publicly available at
    http://www.portaone.com/resources/documentation/index.html

    > Level of development activity:(1-5)

    4 - continuous development, improvements with each new release

    > Scalablility:(1-5)

    4 - single server supports about 40-50 call attempts per second, which is
    more than enough for the average size ITSP, multiple server deployment
    available.

    > Standard features:(1-5)

    5 - all the standard features, call authorization, customer private
    numbering plans and extension lists, disconnect on timer, fail over
    routes, accounting, ...

    > Unique features:(1-5)

    RTP proxy for NAT traversal, media server for error announcement, "Follow
    me" features, integration with the unified messaging solution

    > User provisioning capabilities:(1-5)

    5 - you can either use PortaBilling for the provisioning, or can be
    integrated with the external billing

    > Availability of commercial support:(1-5)

    5 - high quality 24x7 support is available

    > Real world implementation (verifiable implemenations) (1-5)

    4 - multiple running installations world-wide

    > Put most importantly, I'd like to get some realworld implementation
    > comments from people who are actually using these products. They all
    > look pretty good at the installation phase, but I'd like to hear from
    > people who have actually deployed to try to understand where the problem
    > areas.

    Contact , they can provide you with some references.

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

    Andrew Zhilenko, May 4, 2004