vob to mpeg question-forgive me

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jim figurski, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. jim figurski

    jim figurski Guest

    if this has already been answered, but I've been searching on the net
    for the past few days on NG and haven't been able to find any
    solutions. I've used dvd shrink to rip my dvds onto my comp's
    harddrive. so far so good. I've even changed the file name to .mpeg
    in order it to watch it through WINdvd. no problem. but what I want is
    to convert it into a file that is either .avi or some kind of mpeg
    that i can play on my windows media player that is NOT Godzillian in
    size!!!! the closest I came to doing it was with this method:

    http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DVD2AVI.htm

    but the final step, after converting with VFAPI converter my wmp could
    not read it because of a lack of codec(s).

    did I also mention i want to be able to retain the original quality as
    much as possible ? (but i'm reasonable, i know that some quality will
    be lost if i want all of my requests met (^_^))

    also, not sure if it's possible but I'd like to do it without the
    whole "seperating the audio" and rejoining it later. I'm so picky...
    thanks for helping a newbie!!
    jim
    jim figurski, Dec 22, 2004

  2. jim figurski

    Shawk Guest

    jim figurski wrote:
    > if this has already been answered, but I've been searching on the net
    > for the past few days on NG and haven't been able to find any
    > solutions. I've used dvd shrink to rip my dvds onto my comp's
    > harddrive. so far so good. I've even changed the file name to .mpeg
    > in order it to watch it through WINdvd. no problem. but what I want is
    > to convert it into a file that is either .avi or some kind of mpeg
    > that i can play on my windows media player that is NOT Godzillian in
    > size!!!! the closest I came to doing it was with this method:
    >
    > http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DVD2AVI.htm
    >
    > but the final step, after converting with VFAPI converter my wmp could
    > not read it because of a lack of codec(s).
    >
    > did I also mention i want to be able to retain the original quality as
    > much as possible ? (but i'm reasonable, i know that some quality will
    > be lost if i want all of my requests met (^_^))
    >
    > also, not sure if it's possible but I'd like to do it without the
    > whole "seperating the audio" and rejoining it later. I'm so picky...
    > thanks for helping a newbie!!
    > jim

    If that method works why not just download the relevant codec? Shaun.
    Shawk, Dec 22, 2004