    continue", and have severe restrictions. Anyone know of a program which
    truly is free and will do this without these limitations?

    Cheers.

    J, Jul 8, 2009

  2. J

    Freezer Guest

    If I don't reply to this J post, the terroists win.

    > I've downloaded a dozen programs saying they are 'free' and will
    > convert my vob files (on pc) to mpeg, but after installing them they
    > say "pay now to continue", and have severe restrictions. Anyone know
    > of a program which truly is free and will do this without these
    > limitations?

    I have no idea where you're searching that you keep ending up with
    scamware, but either WinFF or SUPER will should suit your needs. SUPER
    handles more formats, but WinFF has a simpler, easier to use GUI.

    http://winff.org/html_new/

    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

    --
    My name is Freezer and my anti-drug is porn.
    http://freezer818.livejournal.com/

    Freezer, Jul 8, 2009

  3. J

    doS Guest

    any goose on the lake this year?

    doS, Jul 9, 2009
  4. J

    chuckcar Guest

    "J" <> wrote in

    > I've downloaded a dozen programs saying they are 'free' and will convert
    > my vob files (on pc) to mpeg, but after installing them they say "pay
    > now to continue", and have severe restrictions. Anyone know of a program
    > which truly is free and will do this without these limitations?

    You've been scammed. VOB files *are* mpeg files - specifically mpeg chunk
    format with MPEG2 compression for the video and PCM or AC3 for the audio.
    You can directly copy and rename them to *.mpeg and they'll play fine in
    WMP or anything else.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 9, 2009
  5. J

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:23:53 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You've been scammed.

    No, the OP hasn't. The OP never said they BOUGHT any of the programs.

    >VOB files *are* mpeg files - specifically mpeg chunk
    >format with MPEG2 compression for the video and PCM or AC3 for the audio.
    >You can directly copy and rename them to *.mpeg and they'll play fine in
    >WMP or anything else.

    Good answer - only 2 hours after someone else gave it.

    Evan Platt, Jul 9, 2009
  6. J

    M.L. Guest

    >> I've downloaded a dozen programs saying they are 'free' and will convert
    >> my vob files (on pc) to mpeg, but after installing them they say "pay
    >> now to continue", and have severe restrictions. Anyone know of a program
    >> which truly is free and will do this without these limitations?
    >>

    >You've been scammed. VOB files *are* mpeg files - specifically mpeg chunk
    >format with MPEG2 compression for the video and PCM or AC3 for the audio.
    >You can directly copy and rename them to *.mpeg and they'll play fine in
    >WMP or anything else.

    That hack doesn't always work for some applications. Better to use a
    dedicated freeware vob to mpeg2 converter to make a proper mpeg2 file.

    VOB2MPG
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

    M.L., Jul 10, 2009
  7. J

    chuckcar Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in

    >>> I've downloaded a dozen programs saying they are 'free' and will
    >>> convert my vob files (on pc) to mpeg, but after installing them they
    >>> say "pay now to continue", and have severe restrictions. Anyone know
    >>> of a program which truly is free and will do this without these
    >>> limitations?
    >>>

    >>You've been scammed. VOB files *are* mpeg files - specifically mpeg
    >>chunk format with MPEG2 compression for the video and PCM or AC3 for the
    >>audio. You can directly copy and rename them to *.mpeg and they'll play
    >>fine in WMP or anything else.

    > That hack doesn't always work for some applications. Better to use a
    > dedicated freeware vob to mpeg2 converter to make a proper mpeg2 file.
    >
    > VOB2MPG
    > http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

    Bullshit. They are mpeg2 files. The only thing missing is the index file
    which is stored separately. MPEG files aren't indexed like avi formats, so
    it only affects DVD operation.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 10, 2009
  8. J

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:45:37 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Bullshit. They are mpeg2 files. The only thing missing is the index file
    >which is stored separately. MPEG files aren't indexed like avi formats, so
    >it only affects DVD operation.

    *sigh*

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vob

    Evan Platt, Jul 10, 2009