    Can anybody help with possibly a free vob converter for use with Windows
    Media Player and Windows Movie Maker- I would be most grateful.

    Ideally an easy to operate interface would be a distinct advantage :)

    Caught, Apr 11, 2008

  2. Caught

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-04-11, Caught <> wrote:
    > Can anybody help with possibly a free vob converter for use with Windows
    > Media Player and Windows Movie Maker- I would be most grateful.
    >
    > Ideally an easy to operate interface would be a distinct advantage :)

    Handbrake, off the top of my head.

    Gordon, Apr 11, 2008

  3. Caught

    Lodi Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:42:17 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2008-04-11, Caught <> wrote:
    >> Can anybody help with possibly a free vob converter for use with
    >> Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker- I would be most grateful.
    >>
    >> Ideally an easy to operate interface would be a distinct advantage :)
    >>

    > Handbrake, off the top of my head.

    Avidemux? There's a windows version. Freeware. Not quite one-click but
    pretty close.

    http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

    Not sure how the Windows version works but converting a dvd into an
    avi/mpeg/mov/etc is pretty straightforward in the Linux version. If
    you've already got the vob's just follow the tutorial....

    http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=DVD_to_AVI

    (By "vob converter" I'm assuming you mean DVD conversion. Apologies for
    time-wasting if I'm wrong)

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 11, 2008
  4. Caught

    Caught Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:ftndfa$nrf$...
    > On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:42:17 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-04-11, Caught <> wrote:
    >>> Can anybody help with possibly a free vob converter for use with
    >>> Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker- I would be most grateful.
    >>>
    >>> Ideally an easy to operate interface would be a distinct advantage :)
    >>>

    >> Handbrake, off the top of my head.

    > Avidemux? There's a windows version. Freeware. Not quite one-click but
    > pretty close.
    >
    > http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html
    >
    > Not sure how the Windows version works but converting a dvd into an
    > avi/mpeg/mov/etc is pretty straightforward in the Linux version. If
    > you've already got the vob's just follow the tutorial....
    >
    > http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=DVD_to_AVI
    >
    > (By "vob converter" I'm assuming you mean DVD conversion. Apologies for
    > time-wasting if I'm wrong)
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    No apologies necessary - instead many thanks I'll give it a try

    Caught, Apr 11, 2008
  5. In article <480188cb$>, Sticky did write:

    > Sometimes you can get away with renaming a VOB file as an MPEG2 file.

    A VOB file on a DVD _is_ an MPEG-2 file. Two qualifications:
    1) The VOB file has extra stuff -- navigation packets (used for trick play
    and direct positioning by movie time), and subpicture streams (used for
    subtitles and some other special features). These can of course be ignored
    by MPEG-2 decoders.
    2) Long titles can be broken up into multiple VOB files, so that each file
    is less than 1 GiB in size, whereas you would normally rather the title
    ended up as a single MPEG file.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 13, 2008