Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tony, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:26:55 +0100, "Tony"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've not got round to installing it yet, but do you know which of the
    >>firmware upgrades on their site supports the 2 service option?

    > http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/support/firmware/default.aspx
    >
    > the one with SE after its name ?
    >
    > Phil

    Arh, on logging into the menu, it seems that this one has come supplied with
    the lastest software, so it is already supporting the 2 line options. Thats
    a bit of good news.. Looks like I don't need to update the firmware after
    all.... Its running software version : 2.0.13(SEg)

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:26:55 +0100, "Tony"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've not got round to installing it yet, but do you know which of the
    >>>firmware upgrades on their site supports the 2 service option?

    >> http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/support/firmware/default.aspx
    >>
    >> the one with SE after its name ?
    >>
    >> Phil

    > Arh, on logging into the menu, it seems that this one has come supplied
    > with the lastest software, so it is already supporting the 2 line options.
    > Thats a bit of good news.. Looks like I don't need to update the firmware
    > after all.... Its running software version : 2.0.13(SEg)
    >
    > Tony

    I've got another couple of queries Phil, if you wouldn't mind...?

    I presume the SIP port 5060 and 5061 need opening up on the DG834G, to allow
    the connection to work? Am I correct in assuming this?

    Is there any preference for which service I add to which line? For now, I
    want to make calls with 18866, and receive with sipgate. This could well
    change once I have set everything up and confirmed all is working.

    How do I prove the system is working for outgoing calls? Is there a dial
    tone that comes from the Sipura, or do I have to start the call by dialling
    something specific?

    It looks like I'm almost there now... I just need to find the lead to the
    DECT phone that seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! (I set
    up the 1001 with another wired phone that I don't want to use as the main
    one)

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/support/firmware/default.aspx
    >>>
    >>> the one with SE after its name ?
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> Arh, on logging into the menu, it seems that this one has come supplied
    >> with the lastest software, so it is already supporting the 2 line
    >> options. Thats a bit of good news.. Looks like I don't need to update the
    >> firmware after all.... Its running software version : 2.0.13(SEg)
    >>
    >> Tony

    > I've got another couple of queries Phil, if you wouldn't mind...?
    >
    > I presume the SIP port 5060 and 5061 need opening up on the DG834G, to
    > allow the connection to work? Am I correct in assuming this?
    >
    > Is there any preference for which service I add to which line? For now, I
    > want to make calls with 18866, and receive with sipgate. This could well
    > change once I have set everything up and confirmed all is working.
    >
    > How do I prove the system is working for outgoing calls? Is there a dial
    > tone that comes from the Sipura, or do I have to start the call by
    > dialling something specific?
    >
    > It looks like I'm almost there now... I just need to find the lead to the
    > DECT phone that seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! (I
    > set up the 1001 with another wired phone that I don't want to use as the
    > main one)
    >
    > Tony

    I spoke too soon, I have just set a password for the admin, but now when I
    try logging in, it as asking me for a username and password! I only
    specified a password (of which I know), but what would the default username
    be?

    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    > I spoke too soon, I have just set a password for the admin, but now when I
    > try logging in, it as asking me for a username and password! I only
    > specified a password (of which I know), but what would the default
    > username be?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tony

    Panic over, it seems the username is 'user'

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  5. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:50:58 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >I presume the SIP port 5060 and 5061 need opening up on the DG834G, to allow
    >the connection to work? Am I correct in assuming this?

    they need forwarding to the IP of the ATA, not just opening up in the
    firewall. Also you need to open some UDP ports for the voice side fo
    things see
    <http://esupport.gradwell.net/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=168>

    >Is there any preference for which service I add to which line? For now, I
    >want to make calls with 18866, and receive with sipgate. This could well
    >change once I have set everything up and confirmed all is working.

    one of the accounts is default, isn't it. I don't have one of these
    yet - you're slightly ahead of me. So set the default one to be the
    one you want to make calls on..

    "When you pick up the handset initially, you will
    hear the dial tone for the first (default) service provider. Then
    you can switch to the second service provider by entering a # key
    (this key sequence is configurable).
    If the secondary service provider is configured and in service, you
    will
    hear a slightly higher pitch dial tone indicating the seondary service
    provider is selected. Hook flash or on-hook-and-off-hook will switch
    back to the default service provider."

    http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/support/firmware/sipura/rn1001-se.htm

    config tool at www.sipura.com/support/wiz.htm

    >How do I prove the system is working for outgoing calls? Is there a dial
    >tone that comes from the Sipura, or do I have to start the call by dialling
    >something specific?

    see above, you get dial tone when its got a service.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Tony wrote:
    >> I spoke too soon, I have just set a password for the admin, but
    >> now when I try logging in, it as asking me for a username and
    >> password! I only specified a password (of which I know), but what
    >> would the default username be?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Panic over, it seems the username is 'user'
    >
    > Tony

    That's for the basic settings only. The admin page is accessed by going to
    page http://ipaddress/admin/advanced and entering admin as the username.
    There is no password as a default, but set one..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Tony

    Al Guest

    On 27 Jun 2005 06:45:03 -0700, gumusluk wrote:

    >If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    >providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    On the datasheet it says it has just ONE RJ11 for a telephone handset.
    Can you explain how you can handle TWO different providers with just
    ONE RJ11. Surely you would need TWO RJ11s (ie 2 handsets) to use 2
    providers?
    Al, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > On 27 Jun 2005 06:45:03 -0700, gumusluk wrote:
    >
    >>If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    >>providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    > On the datasheet it says it has just ONE RJ11 for a telephone handset.
    > Can you explain how you can handle TWO different providers with just
    > ONE RJ11. Surely you would need TWO RJ11s (ie 2 handsets) to use 2
    > providers?

    The 1001 has the option within the menu's to setup two different services.
    Each service can then be chosen by a pre-set button using the keypad of the
    connected telephone.

    Or you can set it up that both services are sctive together. This will
    allow you to make calls with one provider whilst receiving them with another
    provider.

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Tony

    Al Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:34:10 +0100, Tony wrote:

    >The 1001 has the option within the menu's to setup two different services.
    >Each service can then be chosen by a pre-set button using the keypad of the
    >connected telephone.
    >
    >Or you can set it up that both services are sctive together. This will
    >allow you to make calls with one provider whilst receiving them with another
    >provider.

    Since it seems you can only attach one telephone to the unit, how can
    you make and receive calls simultaneously using only a single handset?
    Al, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "gumusluk" <> wrote in message
    > If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    > providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    Hi again,

    I wonder if you might tell me how to register with voipbuster, as the
    website doesn't appear to have a signup page?? I have given up on 18866 for
    voip, I have spent all day trying to get it to work with the SPA1001 to no
    avail. Perhaps its not compatible or something, I don't know. I did get
    sipgate working though, but do you have the sip settings for VOIPBuster and
    how do I sign up?

    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  11. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:20:28 +0100, Al <> wrote:

    >Since it seems you can only attach one telephone to the unit, how can
    >you make and receive calls simultaneously using only a single handset?

    he didn't say you could, that would be silly.

    What he meant was you can have incoming from one and outgoing on the
    other, but not at the same time. For example 18866 don't do incoming
    but are cheaper than sipgate for outgoing so you use th elatter for a
    geographical incoming number and the former to make calls.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  12. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:21:39 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    > I did get
    >sipgate working though,

    outgoing too ?

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Tony wrote:
    >>> I spoke too soon, I have just set a password for the admin, but
    >>> now when I try logging in, it as asking me for a username and
    >>> password! I only specified a password (of which I know), but what
    >>> would the default username be?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >> Panic over, it seems the username is 'user'
    >>
    >> Tony

    > That's for the basic settings only. The admin page is accessed by going to
    > page http://ipaddress/admin/advanced and entering admin as the username.
    > There is no password as a default, but set one..!
    >
    > Ivor

    Ivor, I think I have screwed things up here : (

    I selected the menu option, 'No Web Access' and now I cant get top any of
    the menu's to make any changes to the settings : ( Is there a way to get
    back in or have I blown it? I thought that option was just to stop anyone
    accessing the unit from the WAN. I can't get in anymore, it says I'm not
    authorised 'Forbidden'.

    Any idea how I can get back in?

    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Al wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:34:10 +0100, Tony wrote:
    >
    >> The 1001 has the option within the menu's to setup two different
    >> services. Each service can then be chosen by a pre-set button
    >> using the keypad of the connected telephone.
    >>
    >> Or you can set it up that both services are sctive together. This
    >> will allow you to make calls with one provider whilst receiving
    >> them with another provider.

    > Since it seems you can only attach one telephone to the unit, how
    > can you make and receive calls simultaneously using only a single
    > handset?

    You can't. For that you would need an ATA with two ports such as the
    SPA2000. The 1001 merely allows you to use a single phone for two
    "lines" - each will ring with a different ring and you select which line
    you want to dial out on by entering a code.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2005
  15. Tony

    Al Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:16:12 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >You can't. For that you would need an ATA with two ports such as the
    >SPA2000. The 1001 merely allows you to use a single phone for two
    >"lines" - each will ring with a different ring and you select which line
    >you want to dial out on by entering a code.

    So what happens if you're in the middle of a call and there's an
    incoming call on the other line?
    Al, Jun 28, 2005
  16. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> Panic over, it seems the username is 'user'
    >>>
    >>> Tony

    >> That's for the basic settings only. The admin page is accessed by
    >> going to page http://ipaddress/admin/advanced and entering admin
    >> as the username. There is no password as a default, but set one..!
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Ivor, I think I have screwed things up here : (
    >
    > I selected the menu option, 'No Web Access' and now I cant get top
    > any of the menu's to make any changes to the settings : ( Is there
    > a way to get back in or have I blown it? I thought that option was
    > just to stop anyone accessing the unit from the WAN. I can't get
    > in anymore, it says I'm not authorised 'Forbidden'.
    >
    > Any idea how I can get back in?

    You'll have to reset the web access. You can get in via the IVR menu on
    the phone - if your unit is the same as my SPA2000 dial **** and you
    should get a voice prompt. To enable the web server dial 7932 then 1. You
    will need to enter your admin password - to do this from the keypad, enter
    the letters as follows:

    To input A, B, C, a, b, c - press 2
    To input D, E, F, d, e, f - press 3

    and so on, following the usual letter pattern used on most phone keypads.

    To input any other character in the password press 0.

    Note: this translation applies *only* to the password input.

    For example to enter the password test@1234 you would press 8378001234

    After entering the password press the # key to enter.

    To save value, press 1
    To review, press 2
    To re-enter, press 3

    Hope this helps.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2005
  17. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Al wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:16:12 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> You can't. For that you would need an ATA with two ports such as
    >> the SPA2000. The 1001 merely allows you to use a single phone for
    >> two "lines" - each will ring with a different ring and you select
    >> which line you want to dial out on by entering a code.

    > So what happens if you're in the middle of a call and there's an
    > incoming call on the other line?

    I have no idea. I assume you would get call waiting bleeps or something
    and there would be a code sequence to put one call on hold. I've never
    used this particular unit so I don't know for sure.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2005
  18. Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  19. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:56:23 +0100, "Tony"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any idea how I can get back in?

    > via the phone keypad IVR system ?
    > http://www.quantumvoice.com/support_phone_troubleshooting.shtml#sipura_ivr
    > gives a "manual reboot" code.
    >
    > otherwise factory reset I suspect. Is there a pinhole ?
    >
    > Phil

    You don't need to do a factory reset (see my other post). A normal reset
    wouldn't re-enable web access anyway.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 28, 2005
  20. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Phil Thompson wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:56:23 +0100, "Tony"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any idea how I can get back in?

    >> via the phone keypad IVR system ?
    >> http://www.quantumvoice.com/support_phone_troubleshooting.shtml#sipura_ivr
    >> gives a "manual reboot" code.
    >>
    >> otherwise factory reset I suspect. Is there a pinhole ?
    >>
    >> Phil

    > You don't need to do a factory reset (see my other post). A normal reset
    > wouldn't re-enable web access anyway.
    >
    > Ivor

    Ivor, I didn't enter a password for the admin, I just selected 'No access
    from the web' What is the password likely to be?

    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony, Jun 28, 2005