Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tony, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm wanting to install an ATA onto my network so I can make a receive calls
    using Vo-IP using a DECT cordless phone. I have the following questions if
    anyone could help.

    How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

    How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
    configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

    Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
    present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

    Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
    back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

    Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
    to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

    Any recommendations for a suitable ATA would be great, especially if you
    have a website where I could buy one as I really would like to get this up
    and running as soon as possible.

    Thanks very much indeed..

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 27, 2005

  2. On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

    some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
    £50-£100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html

    >How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
    >configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

    got it in 1.

    >Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
    >present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

    depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.

    >Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
    >back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

    right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
    for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.

    >Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
    >to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

    none.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    Phil Thompson, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

    > some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
    > £50-£100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html
    >
    >>How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
    >>configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

    > got it in 1.
    >
    >>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
    >>at
    >>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

    > depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.
    >
    >>Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
    >>back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

    > right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
    > for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.
    >
    >>Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless
    >>phone
    >>to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

    > none.

    Thanks ever so much Phil, for the prompt reply. So if I buy a
    http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa2000.html
    You don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to carry on using 18866 for
    outgoing calls and sipgate for incoming calls using this unit?

    I assume thats what the dual line bit means? Presume the cheap option here
    http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa1001.html wouldn't allow me to use both
    18866 and sipgate???

    Thanks again Phil... If you could just clear these two queries up, I`ll get
    ordering.

    Thanks again.

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Tony

    gumusluk Guest

    If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    gumusluk, Jun 27, 2005
  5. On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:41:28 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >I assume thats what the dual line bit means?

    yes, dual line means two accounts.

    The 1001 refers to a firmware upgrade to carry two accounts on the 1
    physical port. This would seem best for your needs.

    see the review at http://www.voipuser.org/review_15.html
    confirms what we thought.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 27, 2005
  6. Tony

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

    > some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
    > £50-£100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html
    >
    >>How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
    >>configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

    > got it in 1.
    >
    >>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
    >>at
    >>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

    > depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.
    >
    >>Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
    >>back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

    > right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
    > for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.
    >
    >>Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless
    >>phone
    >>to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

    > none.
    >

    > Phil

    Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
    any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
    172.17.xx.xx

    Thanks
    Tony

    Tony, Jun 27, 2005
  7. On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:13:36 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
    >any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
    >172.17.xx.xx

    most ATA's take the IP by DHCP so I would say yes. I use 10.x
    addresses.

    Some use IVR from the phone handset to put in the IP. Wouldn't expect
    it to be an issue.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 27, 2005
  8. Tony

    JPG Guest

    Dual line - WAS: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    wrote:

    >Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
    >present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

    Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:

    How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for incoming
    and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?

    JPG

    JPG, Jun 27, 2005
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Dual line - WAS: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    "JPG" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
    >>at
    >>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?
    >>

    > Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:
    >
    > How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for
    > incoming
    > and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?
    >
    > JPG

    Setup a second service in SIP PROXY: proxy 1 in the program.

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 27, 2005
  10. Tony

    Dave Gill Guest

    gumusluk <> wrote:

    > If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    > providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    There's currently a 1001 on eBay. The "buy-it-now" price is about what
    you would pay for a new one less the VAT.

    (I am in no way connected with the seller, and cannot vouch for his item
    or his reputation, but his eBay feedback seems good.)

    Dave Gill, Jun 27, 2005
  11. Tony

    Dave Gill Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/cnhxw

    Dave Gill, Jun 27, 2005
  12. Tony

    JPG Guest

    Re: Dual line - WAS: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:32:32 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >"JPG" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
    >>>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
    >>>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
    >>>at
    >>>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?
    >>>

    >> Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:
    >>
    >> How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for
    >> incoming
    >> and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?
    >>
    >> JPG

    >Setup a second service in SIP PROXY: proxy 1 in the program.

    I can't really see how to set up 18866 - it seems to be for fixed
    landlines or mobiles only, I am evidently not fully understanding
    something.

    I currently have Sipgate and X-lite and it appears to be working
    correctly.

    JPG

    --
    "And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of
    human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason

    JPG, Jun 27, 2005
  13. Re: Dual line - WAS: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:33:02 +0100, JPG <> wrote:

    >I can't really see how to set up 18866 - it seems to be for fixed
    >landlines or mobiles only, I am evidently not fully understanding
    >something.

    you're not on the VoIP pages
    try
    http://www.call18866.co.uk/voip.php

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 27, 2005
  14. Tony

    Martin² Guest

    Have look at Linksys PAP2, just £35.24 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk,
    it has two sockets and two providers.
    I have no personal experience though .
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jun 28, 2005
  15. Tony

    Marc Popek Guest

    voip pstn adapter solution? Re: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    There is a simple automatic switching device combine-a-line that routes PSTN
    and VOIP to a single line handset, answering machine, Fax, etc. This might
    work.

    Marco
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5785155151&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Jun 28, 2005
  16. Tony

    Marc Popek Guest

    Marc Popek, Jun 28, 2005
  17. Re: voip pstn adapter solution? Re: Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:58:34 GMT, "Marc Popek" <> wrote:

    >There is a simple automatic switching device combine-a-line that routes PSTN
    >and VOIP to a single line handset, answering machine, Fax, etc. This might
    >work.
    >
    >Marco

    apart from the irritiating top posting this looks rather like
    advertising to me esp as the Ebay seller is "lvmarco".

    The charter for this group excludes advertising.

    One wonders if a line powered device from the USA would work in the UK
    phone system.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  18. Tony

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:13:36 +0100, "Tony"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
    >>any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
    >>172.17.xx.xx

    > most ATA's take the IP by DHCP so I would say yes. I use 10.x
    > addresses.
    >
    > Some use IVR from the phone handset to put in the IP. Wouldn't expect
    > it to be an issue.
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    > spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    > Come on down !

    Well Phil, I ordered at 15:55 yesterday afternoon and the unit arrived this
    morning at 07:55... Pretty good speedy delivery that was!

    I've not got round to installing it yet, but do you know which of the
    firmware upgrades on their site supports the 2 service option?

    Im about to start installing it.....

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  19. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "gumusluk" <> wrote in message
    > If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
    > providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

    Can you direct me to the required firmware that you are using? I have now
    purchased a 1001 and I'm about to install it on the network.

    Thanks

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 28, 2005
  20. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:26:55 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >I've not got round to installing it yet, but do you know which of the
    >firmware upgrades on their site supports the 2 service option?

    http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/support/firmware/default.aspx

    the one with SE after its name ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 28, 2005