    my private IP, the port 5900 on my router is close

    I read that I could use VNC trough SSH too.

    Thank you !

    Ben, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Ben

    nemo_outis Guest

    Ben <> wrote in news:xAcYf.62345$fd.56753
    @read2.cgocable.net:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it enough safe to run VNC throught VPN to access my pc at home ?
    >
    > I connect to my PC with VPN and after I connect to my PC with VNC with
    > my private IP, the port 5900 on my router is close
    >
    > I read that I could use VNC trough SSH too.
    >
    > Thank you !

    Yep, I do it all the time.

    Because I'm accessing a private IP (192.168.0.xxx) with VNC I'm guaranteed
    that it won't connect unless OpenVPN is working - no worries about the
    tunnel failing and accidentally connecting unprotected.

    Regards,

    PS VNC through OpenVPN is superior since (ordinarily) OpenVPN is UDP not
    TCP. This prevents slowdowns on error recovery (packet retransmission)
    compared to when TCP is tunnelled through TCP (e.g., VNC through SSH) since
    there aren't two simultaneous nested recovery mechanisms trying to get back
    onside.

    nemo_outis, Apr 3, 2006