    Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

    Thx in advance

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
    > it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
    > 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
    > Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

    yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network connection,
    it is all good... then just buy to budget.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:35:21 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
    >> it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
    >> 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
    >> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

    > yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network connection,
    > it is all good... then just buy to budget.

    I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour, over a
    100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good performance
    in a dedicated vnc terminal?
    Evil Bastard, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Evil Bastard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:35:21 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Evil Bastard wrote:
    >>> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory
    >>> does it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server
    >>> is 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
    >>> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too
    >>> slow?

    >> yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network
    >> connection, it is all good... then just buy to budget.

    > I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour,
    > over a 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good
    > performance in a dedicated vnc terminal?

    Try redirecting the X-console. Probably better than VNC because no
    encode/ decoding steps, less software.
    I have not done it though.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour,
    >>over a 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good
    >>performance in a dedicated vnc terminal?

    > Try redirecting the X-console. Probably better than VNC because no
    > encode/ decoding steps, less software.
    > I have not done it though.

    This, my old flat mate did... admitedly he redirected the X-console to
    an XP machine(cant remember the name of the utils), but it was fast as,
    and the fastest machine was a P3 550.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Suddenly, Evil Bastard sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
    > it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
    > 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
    >
    > Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

    I'd say your main issue would be the video card, in those days that was
    a pretty high-end spec. Plus you would probably need more RAM to get
    decent speed moving so much data around (4MB just for the screen).

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Evil Bastard

    Howard Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:57:22 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour, over a
    > 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good performance
    > in a dedicated vnc terminal?

    Don't know if this helps much, but I'm using a PIII 800 as a vnc client
    and it works fine. ... I just had it lying around.
    Howard, Feb 2, 2004