  1. Does anybody know of an x64 VNC program?
    WinVNC runs fine but in x32 mode and is quite slow.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    DKI Guest

    I don't think there are any X64 VNC clients at this time only 32bit ones

    DKI, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Dear Andre:
    I know it does work, but it is an x32 app that works too slow.
    What I do need is a real x64 VNC app.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Nope, none available, probably working on it.
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  7. FWIW I've tried to recompile VNC 4.0 for x64. The results are very much the
    same as with 32 bit build - it's dog-slow. Must be something with hooking
    the video driver, but I don't have time to dig into it at the moment

    --
    Alex Feinman
    ---

    Alex Feinman [MVP], Jun 30, 2005
  8. Alex Feinman [MVP] wrote:

    > FWIW I've tried to recompile VNC 4.0 for x64. The results are very much
    > the same as with 32 bit build - it's dog-slow. Must be something with
    > hooking the video driver, but I don't have time to dig into it at the
    > moment

    The RealVNC server is not very fast on Windows. I think the problem is
    that I has to check for updates of the screen buffer, and depending on
    the graphics card and the drivers that can be very slow.

    There was a 3rd party "add on" driver that would capture screen updates
    before they where committed to the graphics card. I tried it once, and
    while it was significantly more responsive, it was not without trouble
    either.

    The client should be reasonably fast, but I have not tried it on x64 yet.

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jun 30, 2005
  9. I say Remote Desktop makes a great choice and it comes bundled, unless you
    are accessing other OS Brands.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  10. Yes, but it does not do a good job when trying to view a larger screen on a
    smaller screen.
    There is no way to resize (downsize) it and no scrolling bars are available,
    either.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 30, 2005
  11. Carlos wrote:
    [remote desktop]
    > Yes, but it does not do a good job when trying to view a larger screen on a
    > smaller screen.
    > There is no way to resize (downsize) it and no scrolling bars are available,
    > either.

    Try rdesktop (www.rdesktop.org). As far as I know, you can compile it
    using cygwin (and run it using an X-server). It does not have all the
    features of the remote desktop client, but it has the basic
    functionality, and it works pretty well. It should also have scroll bars.

    However, I am not sure whether rdesktop can connect to existing
    sessions. I know that used to be an open issue.

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Jun 30, 2005