    that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the VNCconnection attemp from
    my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the connection without
    compromising my security?
    Headtheball, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Headtheball

    Jack Guest

    Hi.

    You upgrade to WinXP SP2.

    The New WinXP SP2 Firewall let you control which applications can go onto
    the Internet.

    As for the Router this might help: http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html

    Specifically about VNC ports here: http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Headtheball" <> wrote in message
    > I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a wireless

    gateway/router.
    > I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way. I have figured

    out

    Jack, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Headtheball

    Sooner Al Guest

    Open TCP Port 5900...

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/ports.mspx

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    Note that SP2 has *NOT* been officially released. SP2 is currently in beta test and should *NOT* be
    installed on a production machine...

    With that said, the new SP2 Windows Firewall will make it quite easy to manage situations like
    this...

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Headtheball" <> wrote in message news:%...
    >I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a wireless gateway/router.
    > I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way. I have figured out
    > that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the VNCconnection attemp from
    > my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the connection without
    > compromising my security?

    ---
    Sooner Al, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Headtheball

    PJB Guest

    > I am running vnc on my main pc and laptop through a

    wireless gateway/router.
    > I can connect from my pc to laptop but not the other way.

    I have figured out
    > that the xp firewall on my main PC is stopping the

    VNCconnection attemp from
    > my laptop. How do I configure the firewall to accept the

    connection without
    > compromising my security?

    either turn the firewall off, or open ports 5900 & 5901 if
    possible.
    I only use UltraVNC from laptop to desktop, no need the
    other way round ;-) But I don't use XP's firewall, relying
    on my router firewall instead.

    P.
    PJB, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Headtheball

    Headtheball Guest

    Thanks all, got it sussed now thanks to your kind and quick response

    Headtheball, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Headtheball

    arsene.mirro

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    If you don't want to bother with port / nat / firewall configuration you should try www[dot]vncproxy[dot]com

    A.M.
    arsene.mirro, Jul 2, 2009