    i need to check something remotely..

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    EAgle, Sep 26, 2003

  2. EAgle

    OJ Guest

    EAgle wrote:

    > Hi guys/gals
    > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can connect
    > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen using
    > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
    > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has been
    > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or is
    > this something to do with VNC?
    >
    > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it when
    > i need to check something remotely..
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
    XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
    The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
    from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
    http://www.rdesktop.org/

    OJ, Sep 26, 2003

  3. EAgle

    OJ Guest

    steve wrote:

    > EAgle allegedly said:
    >

    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > Get an operating system that works properly? :)
    >
    > (l i n u x)

    Wrong as well as unhelpful.
    Its not possible to log into the desktop you were working on at your
    desktop with VNC in linux, it starts a different X Window.
    It would only work if you started in a VNC viewer on the desktop.

    OJ, Sep 26, 2003
  4. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "OJ" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > EAgle allegedly said:
    > >

    > >>Any ideas?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks

    > > Get an operating system that works properly? :)
    > >
    > > (l i n u x)
    > >

    > Wrong as well as unhelpful.
    > Its not possible to log into the desktop you were working on at your
    > desktop with VNC in linux, it starts a different X Window.
    > It would only work if you started in a VNC viewer on the desktop.

    Yes thats what i found. I already have a couple of machine running Linux
    which I used VNC to logon to .. but that doesn't solve the problem with XP
    :)

    EAgle, Sep 27, 2003
  5. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "OJ" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys/gals
    > > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can

    connect
    > > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen

    using
    > > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
    > > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has

    been
    > > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or

    is
    > > this something to do with VNC?
    > >
    > > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it

    when
    > > i need to check something remotely..
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
    > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
    > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
    > from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
    > http://www.rdesktop.org/

    Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on the
    machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
    Services..

    Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works

    Cheers

    EAgle, Sep 27, 2003
  6. "EAgle" <> wrote in message

    > "OJ" <> wrote in message
    > > EAgle wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi guys/gals
    > > > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can

    > connect
    > > > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen

    > using
    > > > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped.

    This
    > > > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has

    > been
    > > > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes?

    or
    > is
    > > > this something to do with VNC?
    > > >
    > > > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it

    > when
    > > > i need to check something remotely..
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
    > > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
    > > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
    > > from MS at

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    > > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
    > > http://www.rdesktop.org/
    > >

    > Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

    the
    > machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
    > Services..
    >
    > Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works
    >
    > Cheers

    There doesn't seem to be much difference.
    PCAnywhere has a lot more features and thats my first choice for Windows,
    but this one comes free and built in.
    Its what I have been using from laptops running 98 and 2k to access an XP
    desktop
    When I log on from the laptop the desktop automatically logs off to the
    login prompt.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 27, 2003
  7. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "OJ" <> wrote in message

    > > connect

    screen
    > > using

    > This

    has
    > > been

    > or
    > > is

    it
    > > when

    > > > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use

    Windows
    > > > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
    > > > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to

    download
    > > > from MS at

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    > > > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
    > > > http://www.rdesktop.org/
    > > >

    > > Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

    > the
    > > machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than

    Termal
    > > Services..
    > >
    > > Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works
    > >
    > > Cheers

    > There doesn't seem to be much difference.
    > PCAnywhere has a lot more features and thats my first choice for Windows,
    > but this one comes free and built in.
    > Its what I have been using from laptops running 98 and 2k to access an XP
    > desktop
    > When I log on from the laptop the desktop automatically logs off to the
    > login prompt.

    OK i have tried this now. it works nicely but the remote session is logged
    out when i connect so its sort of a non optimal solution, but works anyway
    Thanks.

    I'll still be interested if anyone knows how to get VNC to work...

    EAgle, Sep 27, 2003
  8. "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
    > > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
    > > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
    > > from MS at

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    > > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
    > > http://www.rdesktop.org/
    > >

    > Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

    the
    > machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
    > Services..
    >
    > Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works

    Run the latest version of the Remote Desktop/Terminal Services client from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 27, 2003
  9. EAgle

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bl13r4$qg1$>, says...
    > Hi guys/gals
    > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can connect
    > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen using
    > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
    > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has been
    > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or is
    > this something to do with VNC?
    >
    > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it when
    > i need to check something remotely..
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Read your XP license!

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  10. EAgle

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > Read your XP license!

    It doesnt say anything about not accepting network connections when the PC
    is locked... care to enlighten me?

    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  11. EAgle

    Matt B Guest

    In news:bl81po$91b1j$-berlin.de,
    T.N.O. <> wrote:
    > "Mainlander" wrote
    >> Read your XP license!

    > It doesnt say anything about not accepting network connections when
    > the PC is locked... care to enlighten me?

    I think he may be referring to...

    <quote >
    Except as otherwise permitted by the
    NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop
    features described below, you may not use the Product
    to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other
    executable software residing on the Workstation Computer,
    nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display,
    or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless
    the Device has a separate license for the Product.
    </quote >

    Numerous articles out there on this - google for "windows XP EULA vnc"
    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Sep 29, 2003
  12. EAgle

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Matt B" wrote
    > I think he may be referring to...
    >
    > <quote >
    > Except as otherwise permitted by the
    > NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop
    > features described below, you may not use the Product
    > to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other
    > executable software residing on the Workstation Computer,
    > nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display,
    > or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless
    > the Device has a separate license for the Product.
    > </quote >
    >
    > Numerous articles out there on this - google for "windows XP EULA vnc"

    I see... so why didn't he just say that, 'google for "windows XP eula vnc"'
    gees, has all sort of help just gone from usenet?

    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  13. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Matt B" wrote
    > > I think he may be referring to...
    > >
    > > <quote >
    > > Except as otherwise permitted by the
    > > NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop
    > > features described below, you may not use the Product
    > > to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other
    > > executable software residing on the Workstation Computer,
    > > nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display,
    > > or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless
    > > the Device has a separate license for the Product.
    > > </quote >
    > >
    > > Numerous articles out there on this - google for "windows XP EULA vnc"

    > I see... so why didn't he just say that, 'google for "windows XP eula

    vnc"'
    > gees, has all sort of help just gone from usenet?

    Typical Microsoft i would say.. oh well atleast Remote Desktop seems to be
    working ok.

    Anyway beside the point, the client machine was running Windows Xp as well
    which means "the device HAS a seperate licence for the product" doesn't it?
    So shouldn't that simply mesn connecting from a licenced XP machine to
    another licenced XP machine shouldn't be against the EULA. If so it still
    doesn't explain why it doesn't work with VNC.

    EAgle, Sep 29, 2003
  14. EAgle

    Matt B Guest

    In news:bl8e28$9ap85$-berlin.de,
    T.N.O. <> wrote:
    > "Matt B" wrote
    >> I think he may be referring to...
    >>
    >> <quote >
    >> Except as otherwise permitted by the
    >> NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop
    >> features described below, you may not use the Product
    >> to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other
    >> executable software residing on the Workstation Computer,
    >> nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display,
    >> or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless
    >> the Device has a separate license for the Product.
    >> </quote >
    >>
    >> Numerous articles out there on this - google for "windows XP EULA
    >> vnc"

    > I see... so why didn't he just say that, 'google for "windows XP eula
    > vnc"' gees, has all sort of help just gone from usenet?

    Not quite ;-)

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Sep 29, 2003
  15. EAgle

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bl81po$91b1j$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Mainlander" wrote
    > > Read your XP license!

    > It doesnt say anything about not accepting network connections when the PC
    > is locked... care to enlighten me?

    No it says VNC is verboten unless you have an XP license on both machines

    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003
  16. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bl81po$91b1j$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > "Mainlander" wrote
    > > > Read your XP license!

    > > It doesnt say anything about not accepting network connections when the

    PC
    > > is locked... care to enlighten me?

    > No it says VNC is verboten unless you have an XP license on both machines

    what you failed to note was the fact that I do have an XP license on both
    machines. which is why i wanted to find out why this perticular scenario
    wasn't working..

    EAgle, Sep 29, 2003
  17. EAgle

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > No it says VNC is verboten unless you have an XP license on both machines

    errr, but he does.

    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  18. EAgle

    steve Guest

    EAgle allegedly said:

    > Typical Microsoft i would say.. oh well atleast Remote Desktop seems to be
    > working ok.
    >
    > Anyway beside the point, the client machine was running Windows Xp as well
    > which means "the device HAS a seperate licence for the product" doesn't
    > it? So shouldn't that simply mesn connecting from a licenced XP machine to
    > another licenced XP machine shouldn't be against the EULA. If so it still
    > doesn't explain why it doesn't work with VNC.

    Use Linux and you don't have these problems.

    Other problems, maybe.....but not monopoly-vendor dictatorial licensing
    problems.

    steve, Sep 30, 2003
  19. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle allegedly said:

    > > Typical Microsoft i would say.. oh well atleast Remote Desktop seems to

    be
    > > working ok.
    > >
    > > Anyway beside the point, the client machine was running Windows Xp as

    well
    > > which means "the device HAS a seperate licence for the product" doesn't
    > > it? So shouldn't that simply mesn connecting from a licenced XP machine

    > > another licenced XP machine shouldn't be against the EULA. If so it

    still
    > > doesn't explain why it doesn't work with VNC.

    > Use Linux and you don't have these problems.
    >
    > Other problems, maybe.....but not monopoly-vendor dictatorial licensing
    > problems.

    ah yes.. but I do use Linux.. but not as my main workstation though. VNC
    works fine with Linux but haven't figured out how to allow it to connect to
    the currently active Xwindows session.. but thats a different story
    altogether :)

    EAgle, Sep 30, 2003
  20. On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:16:10 +1200, EAgle wrote:

    > ah yes.. but I do use Linux.. but not as my main workstation though. VNC
    > works fine with Linux but haven't figured out how to allow it to connect to
    > the currently active Xwindows session.. but thats a different story
    > altogether :)

    VNC is its own Xwindows session. What you're looking for is Xnest

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 30, 2003