VMWare

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    <gush>
    My god this is fun, I have installed VMWare on my [K]ubuntu system, and from
    there have been installing guest OS's like the proverbial kid in a candy
    store!
    No more reboot to another partition to work in another OS, now its a matter
    of .. changing windows!!!!!!
    OK, If I have several instances up and running, it chokes my poor 1.7
    celery, and compiling FreeBSD's KDE from ports has taken >24 hours (and
    counting) and I'm swapping a bit..
    But this is still fun!
    Its trivial though to power instances up or down, so if Im doing something
    cpu intensive with one instance I can power the others down

    I have tried the normal OS' as guests so far, and my next tries are going to
    be NetBSD, and, for a stretch, Irix
    </gush>

    Has anyone tried Xen on the desktop before?
    I use xen on servers, but only ever see it from the guest system POV, and
    want to know if its as trivial from the hosts POV as VMWare is
    Although Xen appears to give the host admin more control on the allocation
    of resources than VMWare does (with VMWare I have only found how to award
    *all* instances a maximum of RAM, but not how to individualise those
    resources)

    --
    Leela: Fry, if I drop dead from exhaustion, make sure my body freezes in a
    dignified position; none of that huddled over for warmth crap.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 20, 2006

  2. In message <eesgcn$t76$>, Shane wrote:

    > ... and compiling FreeBSD's KDE from ports has taken >24 hours (and
    > counting) ...

    That's about how long it took on my bleeding-edge Gentoo system, so I
    wouldn't say it's anything virtual-machine related. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <eesgcn$t76$>, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> ... and compiling FreeBSD's KDE from ports has taken >24 hours (and
    >> counting) ...

    > That's about how long it took on my bleeding-edge Gentoo system, so I
    > wouldn't say it's anything virtual-machine related. :)

    And 10 minutes ago it died (I hadnt updated my ports before I started)
    I *still* cant remember why I tried to compile KDE
    I am now setting a cron job to install kde from packages .. overnight

    --
    Cop: Better do what he says. He's a whale biologist.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 21, 2006
  4. In message <eete04$j69$>, Shane wrote:

    > I am now setting a cron job to install kde from packages .. overnight

    You mean at-job? You don't want it reinstalling the same thing every
    night ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2006