    "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:08:14 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    >> Lodi wrote:

    >> Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891
    >>
    >> Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected i.e
    >> the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    >> "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"

    > Yes, you are right.

    Thanks :)

    Lodi, Aug 18, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Rhino Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:22:20 +0200 (CEST), Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891
    >
    >Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected
    >i.e the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    >"/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lodi

    I have upgraded each update from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6 without any problems,
    but a backup of your virtual machines directories is cheap insurance.

    Rhino, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Lodi

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 18, 1:22 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    > Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891
    >
    > Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected
    > i.e the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    > "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lodi

    I've upgraded 1.0.1 to 1.0.6 with just one slight annoyance. It has a
    warning on the window status bar claiming that the vmware tools is out
    of date. Telling it to re-install vmware tools seems to have no
    effect. Everything else seems to work fine.

    JohnO, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:52:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    >> On Aug 18, 1:22 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891
    >>
    >> Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected i.e
    >> the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    >> "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lodi

    > I've upgraded 1.0.1 to 1.0.6 with just one slight annoyance. It has a
    > warning on the window status bar claiming that the vmware tools is out
    > of date. Telling it to re-install vmware tools seems to have no effect.
    > Everything else seems to work fine.

    Noted the same problem here after my upgrade. Re-installed vmware tools
    but still got the error message.

    Doesn't seem to effect vmwares performance though.

    Lodi

    Lodi, Aug 27, 2008
  6. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Aug 18, 1:22 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891
    >>
    >> Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected
    >> i.e the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    >> "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lodi

    > I've upgraded 1.0.1 to 1.0.6 with just one slight annoyance. It has a
    > warning on the window status bar claiming that the vmware tools is out
    > of date. Telling it to re-install vmware tools seems to have no
    > effect. Everything else seems to work fine.

    Don't you have to run it once you click on the "Install VMWare" menu
    option? Doesn't clicking the button just 'mount the CD'?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Lodi

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 27, 8:56 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > On Aug 18, 1:22 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    > >> Hi all...I'm upgrading my VMWare Server from 1.0.4-56528 to 1.0.6-91891

    > >> Am I right in assuming none of my VMWare machines will be effected
    > >> i.e the 1.0.6 installation won't overwrite any of the *.vmx files in
    > >> "/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines"

    > >> Thanks
    > >> Lodi

    > > I've upgraded 1.0.1 to 1.0.6 with just one slight annoyance. It has a
    > > warning on the window status bar claiming that the vmware tools is out
    > > of date. Telling it to re-install vmware tools seems to have no
    > > effect. Everything else seems to work fine.

    >  >
    > Don't you have to run it once you click on the "Install VMWare" menu
    > option? Doesn't clicking the button just 'mount the CD'?

    Dunno. If I open the menu again I see 'Cancel VMWare Tools Install'
    instead of 'Install VMWare Tools', but it never seems to actually do
    anything or complete. Have tried all sorts of restarts and reruns
    without any change. Have not had a serious search of the support
    forums yet. As Lodi says, everything seems to work fine anyway.

    JohnO, Aug 27, 2008
  8. Lodi

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 28, 1:34 pm, Allistar <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:

    > >> Don't you have to run it once you click on the "Install VMWare" menu
    > >> option? Doesn't clicking the button just 'mount the CD'?

    > > Dunno. If I open the menu again I see 'Cancel VMWare Tools Install'
    > > instead of 'Install VMWare Tools', but it never seems to actually do
    > > anything or complete. Have tried all sorts of restarts and reruns
    > > without any change. Have not had a serious search of the support
    > > forums yet. As Lodi says, everything seems to work fine anyway.

    > What OS is the virtual machine?For some OS's all "insttal VMWare tools" does
    > it mount a virtual CDROM which contains the VMWare tools software. You then
    > need to go to that mounted CDROM and install the tools by hand (by running
    > the exe, installing the deb, or rpm or .tar.gz, depending on the OS).
    > --
    > A.

    This could be an issue. The client machines I have the problem with
    are Win2000 and Windows Server 2003. In each case, there seems to be
    no mounted virtual cd-dom so I guess there's no chance the vmware
    tools will install.

    There is one configured cd-rom device in the client machines, mapped
    to the physical cd-rom on the host. There is a second virtual cd-rom
    mapped to autodetect that is unconnected and seems to want to connect
    to a non existent g: drive when I direct it to connect.

    JohnO, Aug 28, 2008
  9. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 1:34 pm, Allistar <> wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>> Dunno. If I open the menu again I see 'Cancel VMWare Tools Install'
    >>> instead of 'Install VMWare Tools', but it never seems to actually do
    >>> anything or complete. Have tried all sorts of restarts and reruns
    >>> without any change. Have not had a serious search of the support
    >>> forums yet. As Lodi says, everything seems to work fine anyway.

    >> What OS is the virtual machine?For some OS's all "insttal VMWare tools" does
    >> it mount a virtual CDROM which contains the VMWare tools software. You then
    >> need to go to that mounted CDROM and install the tools by hand (by running
    >> the exe, installing the deb, or rpm or .tar.gz, depending on the OS).
    >> --
    >> A.

    > This could be an issue. The client machines I have the problem with
    > are Win2000 and Windows Server 2003. In each case, there seems to be
    > no mounted virtual cd-dom so I guess there's no chance the vmware
    > tools will install.
    >
    > There is one configured cd-rom device in the client machines, mapped
    > to the physical cd-rom on the host. There is a second virtual cd-rom
    > mapped to autodetect that is unconnected and seems to want to connect
    > to a non existent g: drive when I direct it to connect.

    OK, John, enough of the theories. I decided to try it. Fired up an old
    Windows 2000 Server VM I have and bingo! My VMWare Tools were out of
    date. So I opened up Windows Explorer in the client then up to the
    VMWare menu bar where I clicked on "Install VMWare tools". The D: drive
    changed to the VMWare icon and a box popped up for me to confirm that I
    wanted to install the Tools!

    So, I conclude that you have something wrong there - it should, it seems
    install automatically. Sorry! I do seem to recall having to install the
    tools manually at one time, but I could be imagining it. Have you looked
    at the VMWare site?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 28, 2008
  10. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:

    >>> What OS is the virtual machine?For some OS's all "insttal VMWare tools"
    >>> does it mount a virtual CDROM which contains the VMWare tools software.
    >>> You then need to go to that mounted CDROM and install the tools by hand
    >>> (by running the exe, installing the deb, or rpm or .tar.gz, depending on
    >>> the OS). --
    >>> A.

    >> This could be an issue. The client machines I have the problem with
    >> are Win2000 and Windows Server 2003. In each case, there seems to be
    >> no mounted virtual cd-dom so I guess there's no chance the vmware
    >> tools will install.
    >>
    >> There is one configured cd-rom device in the client machines, mapped
    >> to the physical cd-rom on the host. There is a second virtual cd-rom
    >> mapped to autodetect that is unconnected and seems to want to connect
    >> to a non existent g: drive when I direct it to connect.

    > I think it will add a virtual CD drive regardless of whether you already
    > have one or not.

    Based on my experience it will temporarily replace or use the existing
    one if one is there already.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 28, 2008
  11. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> I think it will add a virtual CD drive regardless of whether you already
    >>> have one or not.
    >> >

    >> Based on my experience it will temporarily replace or use the existing
    >> one if one is there already.

    > I stand corrected - it's been a while since I've installed the tools on my
    > VMs. I use VMWare Workstation which may have a different behaviour to
    > VMWare Server, although I doubt it.

    Server and Workstation have their advocates. Apparently Workstation is
    more flexible in some ways than Server, (and presumably vice versa), but
    I've not done a comparison. They *are* different.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 29, 2008
  12. Lodi

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 28, 10:04 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > >> What OS is the virtual machine?For some OS's all "insttal VMWare tools" does
    > >> it mount a virtual CDROM which contains the VMWare tools software. You then
    > >> need to go to that mounted CDROM and install the tools by hand (by running
    > >> the exe, installing the deb, or rpm or .tar.gz, depending on the OS).
    > >> --
    > >> A.

    > > This could be an issue. The client machines I have the problem with
    > > are Win2000 and Windows Server 2003. In each case, there seems to be
    > > no mounted virtual cd-dom so I guess there's no chance the vmware
    > > tools will install.

    > > There is one configured cd-rom device in the client machines, mapped
    > > to the physical cd-rom on the host. There is a second virtual cd-rom
    > > mapped to autodetect that is unconnected and seems to want to connect
    > > to a non existent g: drive when I direct it to connect.

    >  >
    > OK, John, enough of the theories. I decided to try it. Fired up an old
    > Windows 2000 Server VM I have and bingo! My VMWare Tools were out of
    > date. So I opened up Windows Explorer in the client then up to the
    > VMWare menu bar where I clicked on "Install VMWare tools". The D: drive
    > changed to the VMWare icon and a box popped up for me to confirm that I
    > wanted to install the Tools!
    >
    > So, I conclude that you have something wrong there - it should, it seems
    > install automatically. Sorry! I do seem to recall having to install the
    > tools manually at one time, but I could be imagining it. Have you looked
    > at the VMWare site?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Ok, on starting the Win2000 VM, there's no CD-Rom under explorer,
    despite the config indicating there should be a connected one mapped
    to the host's CD-Rom.

    I Start the VMWare Tools Install menu option, and get the popup and
    accept it, but there's still no CD-Rom on the VM. The menu option has
    changed to 'Cancel VMWare Tools install' but there doesn't seem to be
    anything to cancel.

    I've searched the support site but have not found anything that
    matches this case. I guess I will have to raise a case with them.

    Cheers
    JohnO

    JohnO, Aug 31, 2008