    any keywords suggested. Also able to click on any links profferred.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Using Kubuntu 7.10 as host and VMware Server Console Ver 1.0.4
    > build-56528 as guest running a Win 98 vmx
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that there should be some way of transferring
    > files between the two OS's without having to burn to CD's or copying to
    > USB flash drives.
    >
    > Something network based. Similar to using Win98's "My Network Places" or
    > KDE's "Find Network Location"
    >
    > I'm not that knowledgeable with networks but can do google searches on
    > any keywords suggested. Also able to click on any links profferred.

    Samba does windows networking under linux.

    You might find swat useful to configure samba.

    They should both be kubuntu packages.
    Mark Robinson, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Lodi

    Allistar Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all...Using Kubuntu 7.10 as host and VMware Server Console Ver 1.0.4
    > build-56528 as guest running a Win 98 vmx
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that there should be some way of transferring
    > files between the two OS's without having to burn to CD's or copying to
    > USB flash drives.
    >
    > Something network based. Similar to using Win98's "My Network Places" or
    > KDE's "Find Network Location"
    >
    > I'm not that knowledgeable with networks but can do google searches on
    > any keywords suggested. Also able to click on any links profferred.

    There are a number of ways of doing this:

    - setup a Samba server on the Linux host and connect to that from W98.

    - setup a "shared folder" in vmware which will appear in the "network
    neighbourhood" of W98 (there is a chance this feature is disabled for W98).

    - connect to the host from the W98 using winscp, which provides a "windows
    explorer" type view of the host using the ssh protocol. You'll need to
    setup and configure an ssh server on the host, but that's pretty much
    standard software on any Linux distribution.

    Personally I use the 2nd and 3rd options, and they work very well.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:49:34 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all...Using Kubuntu 7.10 as host and VMware Server Console Ver 1.0.4
    >> build-56528 as guest running a Win 98 vmx
    >>
    >> Am I right in thinking that there should be some way of transferring
    >> files between the two OS's without having to burn to CD's or copying to
    >> USB flash drives.
    >>
    >> Something network based. Similar to using Win98's "My Network Places"
    >> or KDE's "Find Network Location"
    >>
    >> I'm not that knowledgeable with networks but can do google searches on
    >> any keywords suggested. Also able to click on any links profferred.

    > There are a number of ways of doing this:
    >
    > - setup a Samba server on the Linux host and connect to that from W98.
    >
    > - setup a "shared folder" in vmware which will appear in the "network
    > neighbourhood" of W98 (there is a chance this feature is disabled for
    > W98).
    >
    > - connect to the host from the W98 using winscp, which provides a
    > "windows explorer" type view of the host using the ssh protocol. You'll
    > need to setup and configure an ssh server on the host, but that's pretty
    > much standard software on any Linux distribution.
    >
    > Personally I use the 2nd and 3rd options, and they work very well.

    Thanks Allistar. Samba to the rescue. Connected from Kubuntu to Win98
    easily enough. Can't seem to find a connection from Win98's Network
    Neighbourhood back to Kubuntu. Just means I have to minimize vmware and
    use Kubuntu to do any transferring. Good enough for me :)

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 17, 2008