VMWARE offers free client player

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Winged, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Winged

    Winged Guest

    VMware has a "Free" beta player software package that allows you to
    utilize virtual machines that have been created with VMware. While the
    player is limited (ie will not allow you to create your own vm's) it is
    useful for those on winx platforms who want to play with Linux.

    There are preconfigured Linux vms for Red hat and SUSE, IBM, BEA, mysql
    configs, (grid oracle and spike) (which i am not familiar with).

    While I own a VMware workstation license, thought this might be useful
    to those who might want to play in Linux before jumping in with both
    feet. The player comes in both Linux and winx versions.I have used
    VMware for a long time. I highly recommend the workstation product
    however this might be useful to some.

    There is also a browser appliance VM based of UBANTU which might be
    interesting to some.

    You probably should have high speed connection, some of the available VM
    packages are huge...

    Thought I'd pass along.

    Winged
    Winged, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Winged

    Winged Guest

    Winged wrote:
    > VMware has a "Free" beta player software package that allows you to
    > utilize virtual machines that have been created with VMware. While the
    > player is limited (ie will not allow you to create your own vm's) it is
    > useful for those on winx platforms who want to play with Linux.
    >
    > There are preconfigured Linux vms for Red hat and SUSE, IBM, BEA, mysql
    > configs, (grid oracle and spike) (which i am not familiar with).
    >
    > While I own a VMware workstation license, thought this might be useful
    > to those who might want to play in Linux before jumping in with both
    > feet. The player comes in both Linux and winx versions.I have used
    > VMware for a long time. I highly recommend the workstation product
    > however this might be useful to some.
    >
    > There is also a browser appliance VM based of UBANTU which might be
    > interesting to some.
    >
    > You probably should have high speed connection, some of the available VM
    > packages are huge...
    >
    > Thought I'd pass along.
    >
    > Winged

    Oppsd forgot link:

    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/

    Winged
    Winged, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Winged

    claudel Guest

    In article <50738$43938169$45493f2f$>,
    Winged <> wrote:
    >Winged wrote:
    >> VMware has a "Free" beta player software package that allows you to
    >> utilize virtual machines that have been created with VMware. While the
    >> player is limited (ie will not allow you to create your own vm's) it is
    >> useful for those on winx platforms who want to play with Linux.
    >>
    >> There are preconfigured Linux vms for Red hat and SUSE, IBM, BEA, mysql
    >> configs, (grid oracle and spike) (which i am not familiar with).
    >>
    >> While I own a VMware workstation license, thought this might be useful
    >> to those who might want to play in Linux before jumping in with both
    >> feet. The player comes in both Linux and winx versions.I have used
    >> VMware for a long time. I highly recommend the workstation product
    >> however this might be useful to some.
    >>
    >> There is also a browser appliance VM based of UBANTU which might be
    >> interesting to some.
    >>
    >> You probably should have high speed connection, some of the available VM
    >> packages are huge...
    >>
    >> Thought I'd pass along.
    >>
    >> Winged

    >Oppsd forgot link: