VMWare migration question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Running Kubuntu Gutsy.

    Am planning to replace my current hard drive as it's getting on a bit and
    starting to make funny noises (but aren't we all). Also it's a chance to
    get a bit more disk capacity.

    I have VMWare Server 1.0.4 on my old drive. I have a Win98 virtual
    machine which I'd like to transfer onto my new drive.

    Is it as simple as installing VMWare Server on my new drive and then
    copying the Win98-VM config file across from...

    /media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98/Windows 98.vmx

    to the equivalent location on the new drive.

    I've googled a bit but seem to running around in circles.

    Any advice/links appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Lodi

    Allistar Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all...Running Kubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > Am planning to replace my current hard drive as it's getting on a bit and
    > starting to make funny noises (but aren't we all). Also it's a chance to
    > get a bit more disk capacity.
    >
    > I have VMWare Server 1.0.4 on my old drive. I have a Win98 virtual
    > machine which I'd like to transfer onto my new drive.
    >
    > Is it as simple as installing VMWare Server on my new drive and then
    > copying the Win98-VM config file across from...
    >
    > /media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98/Windows 98.vmx
    >
    > to the equivalent location on the new drive.
    >
    > I've googled a bit but seem to running around in circles.
    >
    > Any advice/links appreciated.

    You should be able to copy the entire virtual machine from the old drive to
    the new one. The easiest way to do this is to copy the directory the VM is
    in. (/media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98). When you
    start it up for the first time in it's new location you may find it prompts
    about the machines id - just say "keep". (This is essentially the MAC
    address of the virtual network card).
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Lodi

    peter Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >> Hi all...Running Kubuntu Gutsy.
    >> Am planning to replace my current hard drive as it's getting on a bit and
    >> starting to make funny noises (but aren't we all). Also it's a chance to
    >> get a bit more disk capacity.
    >>
    >> I have VMWare Server 1.0.4 on my old drive. I have a Win98 virtual
    >> machine which I'd like to transfer onto my new drive.
    >>
    >> Is it as simple as installing VMWare Server on my new drive and then
    >> copying the Win98-VM config file across from...
    >> /media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98/Windows 98.vmx
    >> to the equivalent location on the new drive.

    > You should be able to copy the entire virtual machine from the old drive
    > to the new one. The easiest way to do this is to copy the directory the VM
    > is in. (/media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98).

    Yes, you need all the files in that directory, not just the vmx file. For
    example, the vmdk files are the virtual hard disk (and contents), I think.

    HTH

    Peter
    peter, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:12:45 +1300, peter wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Lodi wrote:
    >>> Hi all...Running Kubuntu Gutsy.
    >>> Am planning to replace my current hard drive as it's getting on a bit
    >>> and starting to make funny noises (but aren't we all). Also it's a
    >>> chance to get a bit more disk capacity.
    >>>
    >>> I have VMWare Server 1.0.4 on my old drive. I have a Win98 virtual
    >>> machine which I'd like to transfer onto my new drive.
    >>>
    >>> Is it as simple as installing VMWare Server on my new drive and then
    >>> copying the Win98-VM config file across from...
    >>> /media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98/Windows 98.vmx
    >>> to the equivalent location on the new drive.

    >> You should be able to copy the entire virtual machine from the old
    >> drive to the new one. The easiest way to do this is to copy the
    >> directory the VM is in. (/media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual
    >> Machines/Windows 98).

    > Yes, you need all the files in that directory, not just the vmx file.
    > For example, the vmdk files are the virtual hard disk (and contents), I
    > think.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks very much all. Will get into it on the weekend.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Hi there,

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Running Kubuntu Gutsy.
    >
    > Am planning to replace my current hard drive as it's getting on a bit and
    > starting to make funny noises (but aren't we all). Also it's a chance to
    > get a bit more disk capacity.
    >
    > I have VMWare Server 1.0.4 on my old drive. I have a Win98 virtual
    > machine which I'd like to transfer onto my new drive.
    >
    > Is it as simple as installing VMWare Server on my new drive and then
    > copying the Win98-VM config file across from...
    >
    > /media/sda1/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows 98/Windows 98.vmx
    >
    > to the equivalent location on the new drive.
    >
    > I've googled a bit but seem to running around in circles.

    I've done the very same without a hitch. Only once have I struck
    trouble copying VM's around, and that was to do with copying from
    my Athlon64 desktop to my Core 2 Duo laptop (VMplayer on the laptop
    complained that the VM was created on a different architecture).
    If you keep the VM on a machine with the same CPU architecture
    you should be fine.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 12, 2007