    i can actually connect systems to a 2k3 AD.

    I appreciate your time,

    Kevin J
    Kevin, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Kevin

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Kevin" <cwgdesigns(at)sympatico.ca> prattled ceaslessly in

    > I am going to be studying for my MCSE from home, but I do not have a
    > set up that would allow me to benefit from having a complete network.
    > I am also unfortunate in not being able to go to a school to do this
    > so my next logical step is to find a virtual way to do this.
    >
    > Are there any draw backs in using VMWARE?
    > Has anyone here successfully installed Server 2k3, WinXP and Win 2000
    > inside VMWare and had them all "talk" to each other?
    >
    > I basically want to install Server 2k3 as a guest, and then install
    > WinXP and Win2000 as guests also, and possibly have the 2 OS's connect
    > to the 2K3 AD.
    >
    > Would anyone recommend any other software i may not be familiar with,
    > where i can actually connect systems to a 2k3 AD.

    VM Ware will work. Also Virtual PC or Virtual Server from Microsoft.
    You will need pretty powerful hardware on the machine you run it from.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
    doubted it for a second."
    catwalker63, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks catwalker63

    I currently have an AMD 2800 Barton, 1 gig ram, 120gig HDD

    I hope that is enough.

    Since i am not 100% sure on how these things work, i hope i am able to
    install the virtual software without much fuss.
    Can you do VPN's and stuff like that? Or are these limits of the virtual
    software?

    I tried scouring the VMWare website for answers, but it seems a bit more
    complex then if i had an actual computer to install win server 2k3.
    I mean i may encounter an error not associated with windows server, but with
    the virtual software, which might make my learning that much more difficult.

    I guess it won't hurt to try!
    thanks

    Kevin, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Kevin

    Bryce Guest

    I would suggest the VMWare product over the Microsoft VPC. You should
    have few issues with the vmware. I use it all the time to setup Proof
    of concepts and labs for clients. 2 features that vmare has over VPC
    is the use of an ISO cd image instead of having to pop CDs in. Also
    you can setup a virtual Microsoft Cluster. Most people don't have
    access to 2 machines with HPAs and a SAN to play with this.

    Good luck.

    Also if you have a MS cert you get a discount on vmware
    Bryce, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Kevin

    Bryce Guest

    Also one other note. Get your self one more HD to load you host OS on
    and run the virtual images from 120Gb drive. This will keep the
    contention for I/O to a minimum
    Bryce, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Kevin

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Bryce" <> say in

    > I would suggest the VMWare product over the Microsoft VPC. You should
    > have few issues with the vmware. I use it all the time to setup Proof
    > of concepts and labs for clients. 2 features that vmare has over VPC
    > is the use of an ISO cd image instead of having to pop CDs in.

    ok, I can do this in VPC 2004 (mount an ISO in the VM) so that doesn't
    work. Takes a bit more to optimize VPC (IMHO) than VMware, but I have some
    documentation that really helped. Things like defragging your hosts OS and
    the guest OS and using very little Vitrual memory on a box with large RAM,
    etc. can really make the VPC VMs move.

    > Also
    > you can setup a virtual Microsoft Cluster. Most people don't have
    > access to 2 machines with HPAs and a SAN to play with this.

    you can set up clusters on VS2005. costs more than VMware Workstation but
    less than GSX.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Windws is jst ine for bckgroun comnicaions
    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Kevin

    Bart Guest

    Yes! I use it all the time. You can get a 30-day eval, and the cost for
    the workstation product after that isn't too bad.
    Bart, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Neil wrote:
    > you can set up clusters on VS2005. costs more than VMware Workstation

    but
    > less than GSX.

    To me the biggest "selling point" for going with VS2005 was the length
    of time for the freebee trial - 180 days for Virtual Server 2005 versus
    45 days for Virtual PC or 30 days for VMware Workstation or GSX.

    That's more than enough time to set up a virtual lab at home including
    Exchange, SQL Server and whatever else you want to study and get your
    MCSE and a few other certs to boot.
    blastingfonda, Mar 9, 2005
  9. Kevin

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "blastingfonda" <> say in

    > Neil wrote:
    >> you can set up clusters on VS2005. costs more than VMware Workstation

    > but
    >> less than GSX.

    > To me the biggest "selling point" for going with VS2005 was the length
    > of time for the freebee trial - 180 days for Virtual Server 2005 versus
    > 45 days for Virtual PC or 30 days for VMware Workstation or GSX.
    >
    > That's more than enough time to set up a virtual lab at home including
    > Exchange, SQL Server and whatever else you want to study and get your
    > MCSE and a few other certs to boot.

    very nice idea! that being said, VS is not super expensive and if you are
    using it for development it is very cost effective (as is VMWare). From a
    training and testing perspective, you should have a pretty good handle on
    the product bofore 6 months <VBG>.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - PC compatibles aren't.
    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  10. Anyone know how each product handles Linux? I'm guessing VMWare handles
    most flavors better than Microsoft's products (this is Microsoft we're
    talking about after all... :) )
    blastingfonda, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Kevin

    > Anyone know how each product handles Linux? I'm guessing VMWare handles
    > most flavors better than Microsoft's products (this is Microsoft we're
    > talking about after all... :) )

    I install a copy of RH7 (waaaaaay back) on VMWare wkst 3 and it had video
    issues. there was a fix for it but I was disappointed.

    on an MS product that just seems silly. <VBEG>

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  12. Kevin

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, blastingfonda climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    > Anyone know how each product handles Linux? I'm guessing VMWare handles
    > most flavors better than Microsoft's products (this is Microsoft we're
    > talking about after all... :) )

    I installed Debian on virtual PC and it worked just fine.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Mar 9, 2005
  13. Neil wrote:

    > I install a copy of RH7 (waaaaaay back) on VMWare wkst 3 and it had

    video
    > issues. there was a fix for it but I was disappointed.
    >
    > on an MS product that just seems silly. <VBEG>

    Heheh... I betcha it worked fine when Virtual PC was a Connectix
    product, and the moment Microsoft developers got their grubby paws on
    it, it suddenly sprouted new "features" that rendered Linux
    incompatible.
    blastingfonda, Mar 9, 2005
  14. Kevin

    > Heheh... I betcha it worked fine when Virtual PC was a Connectix
    > product, and the moment Microsoft developers got their grubby paws on
    > it, it suddenly sprouted new "features" that rendered Linux
    > incompatible.

    actaully I think it will work fine. I have to give it a shot when I have
    some free time and am not in here...BWAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry that was funny....

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Is infidelity a form of multitasking?
    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  15. Kevin

    JaR Guest

    > did you hear "blastingfonda" <> say in
    >
    >> Heheh... I betcha it worked fine when Virtual PC was a Connectix
    >> product, and the moment Microsoft developers got their grubby paws on
    >> it, it suddenly sprouted new "features" that rendered Linux
    >> incompatible.
    >>

    > actaully I think it will work fine. I have to give it a shot when I
    > have some free time and am not in here...BWAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry that was
    > funny....

    It does work just fine. And you have an ...errr...odd sense of humor.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Mar 9, 2005
  16. JaR wrote:

    > It does work just fine. And you have an ...errr...odd sense of humor.

    In what, VPC 2004, VS 2005 or both?
    blastingfonda, Mar 9, 2005
  17. Kevin

    > In what, VPC 2004, VS 2005 or both?

    I have an odd sense of humo(u)r in BOTH VPC2004 and VS2005

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Resistance is assimilated. Prepare to be futile. Waitaminute.....
    Neil, Mar 9, 2005
  18. Kevin

    JaR Guest

    > did you hear "blastingfonda" <> say in
    >
    >> In what, VPC 2004, VS 2005 or both?

    > I have an odd sense of humo(u)r in BOTH VPC2004 and VS2005

    Indeed.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Mar 9, 2005
  19. Kevin

    meanoldman Guest

    I've installed mandrake on vmware, never tried it on vpc or vs. Although I
    hated it at first I've come to really like the web interface for vs.
    Instead of running the app on my workstation I confiscated a small fairly
    new server, installed vs on it and put it in my test lab to replace a whole
    rack of aging servers. Now I can use a virtual machine without degrading
    the performance of my workstation. Sure, I could have done with vmware or
    vpc and controlled them via rdp but it's just not as convenient as this.

    --
    ____________________
    meanoldman MCNGP #1

    meanoldman, Mar 10, 2005
  20. Kevin

    fygar Guest

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:45:00 -0500, "Kevin"
    <cwgdesigns(at)sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Are there any draw backs in using VMWARE?
    >Has anyone here successfully installed Server 2k3, WinXP and Win 2000 inside
    >VMWare and had them all "talk" to each other?

    I not only use it for testing, I have the GSX product running four
    servers in production.

    You'll find that access via the network feels very natural, but direct
    access through the console is a little sluggish.

    ....butch()
    fygar, Mar 10, 2005