    loaded Windows NT 4 3 times within the last few days and I forgot how
    annoying it is. There's got to be an easier way. I've tried looking it up
    but I'm just not finding anything.

    Julia B, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Julia B

    joe Guest

    Unless I'm mistaken, you can only clone VMs from VMware Workstation 5.x
    (VMware Server doesn't support 5.x VMs, at least not the last version I
    looked at). Cloning will save time in copying and space on your hard
    drive. If you're using VMware Server, you'll be stuck copying the entire
    folder.

    Russell is correct in that you will need to rename the copied machines
    after booting them, which means you need to shut down the VM from which
    you copied it before booting the copy. Otherwise you'd have dupe machine
    names on your virtual network. If you're using static IP addresses,
    you'll need to change them on the copies too.

    I also recommend renaming the files in the copies. I prefer being able
    to identify the VM not only by the folder name but the files too. You
    have to edit the VMX file to do this, and sometimes you have to drop the
    VMDK files (hard drives) from the VM, then add them back after renaming
    them. (I haven't found out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
    IOW, sometimes you can just rename the files and edit the VMX file and
    everything still works. Other times, you get errors when you try to
    start up the VM.)

    Suggestion: Create a library of clean, fully patched VMs. Copy it as
    many times as you need it, but reserve the clean one for creating copies
    and never customize it.

    joe, Apr 13, 2006