Vlans on a 2900 series XL switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by vos, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. vos

    vos Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
    help with my ccna studies. I am trying to play around with vlans but
    any of the commands I am reading about do not work. It says to use the
    "set vlan" and "set vtp" commands to configure vlans on the cisco site,
    but the only command mine has starting with "set" is setup. Spent a few
    hours now reading and getting a little frustrated. Any help on how to
    set up vlans on this device would be greatly appreciated. I have pasted
    the output from show version below.
    Also when I first booted the device it started up asking if I wanted to
    use command line or menus, after I defaulted the device I can not get
    back to the config menu, I was going to try and set up a vlan domain
    that way then look at the config to see what changes it made and try
    using them commands but now I can not get into the config menu either.
    How do I get back into the config menu also please?

    Thanks

    Regards,

    Vos

    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(8)SA5, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (f
    c1)
    Compiled Tue 23-Mar-99 11:52 by rheaton
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x001D0068

    ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

    Switch uptime is 20 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2900XL-h-mz-112.8-SA5", booted via

    cisco WS-C2924M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with
    8192K/1024K byt
    es of memory.
    Processor board ID 0x10, with hardware revision 0x03
    Last reset from power-on

    Processor is running Standard Edition Software
    24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

    32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:D0:58:CF:DA:00
    Motherboard assembly number: 73-3425-08
    Power supply part number: 34-0920-01
    Motherboard serial number: FAA03179GKG
    Power supply serial number: PHI031002KD
    Model revision number: A0
    Model number: WS-C2924M-XL-A
    System serial number: FAA0321F0ER
    Configuration register is 0xF

    vos, Mar 18, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    vos <> wrote:
    >I have a 2900 series XL switch

    >I am trying to play around with vlans

    >IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(8)SA5, RELEASE

    http://www.cisco.com/go/fn/

    Search by feature... ISL VLAN... Examine platform list... 2900XL is
    not listed.

    Search by feature... IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support... Examine platform list...
    2900XL is not listed.

    So, as far as the tool knows, the Cat 2900XL does not support VLANs
    in any software version.

    Okay, try the search again for IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support, but this time
    look at the release list. Earliest is 12.0T. So, no software version
    as early as 11.2 supported IEEE 802.1Q VLANs on -any- platform.

    Retrying for ISL VLANs, we see support was available in 11.2(8),
    but only on the 4500, 7200, and 7500.

    > I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
    > help with my ccna studies.

    Latest version available for the Cat2900XL-ATM: 12.2(1a).

    >IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(8)SA5, RELEASE
    >Compiled Tue 23-Mar-99 11:52 by rheaton

    Your software is 6 years old at least, as had to have gone
    through SA1 thru SA4 before hitting SA5, so probably it hadn't
    had any feature changes for a year before that. 7 year old software
    is not of much use in studying for CCNA.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 18, 2006

  3. vos

    vos Guest

    Thanx for your time Walter

    So it needs to be upgraded to a later version of cisco IOS in order to
    have the set commands as I previously mentioned?

    Regards,
    Vos

    vos, Mar 18, 2006
  4. vos

    Peter Guest

    Hi Vos,

    > Thanx for your time Walter
    >
    > So it needs to be upgraded to a later version of cisco IOS in order to
    > have the set commands as I previously mentioned?

    I am aware of 2 main "versions" of 2900XL H/W, the first is very old
    with limited memory (they only had about 2MB RAM from memory) and they
    are physically larger than the later models, and can only run images
    up to about release11.2.

    If you have a later version 2900XL with more memory (4MB or 8MB), then
    with the right IOS it can do both ISL and 802.1Q trunking.

    Cheers...............pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Mar 18, 2006
  5. vos

    vos Guest

    Hi Peter

    After doing a few hours research at work tonight, I found out all of
    that info. I do have the 8mb version and I know which image I require
    also.

    Thank you both for your time, the people in this group are very helpful
    and I appreciate it very much.

    Cheers.

    Vos

    vos, Mar 18, 2006
  6. "vos" <> writes:
    >I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
    >help with my ccna studies. I am trying to play around with vlans but
    >any of the commands I am reading about do not work. It says to use the
    >"set vlan" and "set vtp" commands to configure vlans on the cisco site,
    >but the only command mine has starting with "set" is setup.

    You're reading the wrong docs.

    set vlan and set vtp are used on CatOS boxes (ie. c2948G, etc).
    The 2900XL runs IOS, where you'd use 'vlan database' and 'switchport
    access vlan' and 'switchport mode trunk' commands.

    If you have the WS-C2924-XL-EN your switch can do vlans (unlike what
    Walter was searching for, the data must be falling out of FN for these
    old workhorse switches that are everywhere). The -EN part is important
    for VLAN support, if you have just the -A part, you'll be fighting an
    uphill battle.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 18, 2006
  7. vos

    vos Guest

    You are right Doug. The 2900xl does run IOS and they are the comands to
    set up a vtp trunks. I was following some courseware showing how to
    config vlans etc on IOS, but the show commands used in the courseware
    weren't giving the same output as my 2900xl, so my first objective was
    to upgrade the IOS image. Anyway over the course of the weekend I
    managed to upgrade the IOS on the 2900xl, the show commands then gave
    the same output as in the course and I managed to get my 2900xl with
    vtp configured and sharing vlans with 2 1900 series switches running
    CatOS, which was my ultimate goal for the excercise. All good now.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Regards,
    Vos

    vos, Mar 20, 2006
  8. vos

    bubba@kilcomp

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    23
    have you tried any of the following commands, I know that they work on a CAT 2950.
    switch#vlan database
    switch(vlan)#vlan 2 name VLAN2
    switch(vlan)#vtp server
    or
    switch(vlan)#vtp client
    switch#config t
    switch(config)#interface fastethernet 0/2
    switch(config-if)#switchport mode access
    switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2
    Router
    router(config)#interface fastetherent 0/0
    router(config-if)#no shut
    router(config-if)#interface fastetherent 0/0.1
    router(config-subif)#ip address 10.0.1.1 255.0.0.0
    router(config-subif)#no shut

    hopefully this will help you

    bubba@kilcomp, Mar 21, 2006