    May any of you address me in the right direction?

    TIA,

    Alex.

    AM, Jun 26, 2006

  2. AM

    corb Guest

    "AM" <> wrote in message
    news:scSng.16379$...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > has anybody played with VLANs on Cisco 870 series?
    > I'm trying to use VLANs on that device but I'm facing some problems.
    > All references reported for switches and higher level routers don't apply
    > easily.
    > May any of you address me in the right direction?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Alex.

    Yes, you may need more flash memory and a different IOS featureset, I got
    stung with this few months ago.

    corb, Jun 26, 2006

  3. AM

    AM Guest

    corb wrote:
    > "AM" <> wrote in message
    >

    > Yes, you may need more flash memory and a different IOS featureset, I got
    > stung with this few months ago.

    What do you mean? Does the router hide some commands due to the fact it has not enough memory?
    The IOS version is quite up-to-date.
    It's 12.4(2)T2.

    Alex.

    AM, Jun 26, 2006
  4. AM <> writes:
    >corb wrote:
    >> "AM" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, you may need more flash memory and a different IOS featureset, I got
    >> stung with this few months ago.

    >What do you mean? Does the router hide some commands due to the fact it has not enough memory?
    >The IOS version is quite up-to-date.
    >It's 12.4(2)T2.

    You probably need an image with the advanced feature set in it. IOS comes in
    many feature set versions, as well as numbered versions. You have to
    specify the full image name to correctly identify what you have, not
    necessarily just the version number. You probably have to buy an
    additional feature set license to cover what you want, depending on
    how you bought the box originally.

    The bigger feature sets require more RAM to run (and more flash to
    hold them), although the 877 probably comes with enough flash all around.

    The Cisco Feature Navigator (cisco.com/go/fn) lists VLAN support on
    the 877 requiring licensing the Advanced Security or Advanced IP Services
    feature sets (available from your cisco reseller), as well as 128M of
    DRAM and 24 or 28M of FLASH to hold the images.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 26, 2006
  5. AM

    AM Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > AM <> writes:
    >

    > The Cisco Feature Navigator (cisco.com/go/fn) lists VLAN support on
    > the 877 requiring licensing the Advanced Security or Advanced IP Services
    > feature sets (available from your cisco reseller), as well as 128M of
    > DRAM and 24 or 28M of FLASH to hold the images.

    Ok guys,

    I've got the right IOS image, that is "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T2.bin".

    I think that is the right one 'cause in privilege mode I can type "vlan database" and I get

    Router#(vlan)

    Below my questions:

    I want the router to communicate with a switch by a trunk link.
    How to setup a trunk link on a 877? And moreover how many options do I have with my 877?
    I mean, I think I can setup a trunk link. But Can I setup FastEthernet interface to belong to different VLANs, i.e. FA0
    to VLAN10, FA1 to VLAN20, FA2 to VLAN3, FA3 to VLAN4

    Thank you so much for your patience and your support?

    Alex.

    AM, Jun 27, 2006
  6. AM

    AM Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > AM <> writes:
    >

    > The Cisco Feature Navigator (cisco.com/go/fn) lists VLAN support on
    > the 877 requiring licensing the Advanced Security or Advanced IP Services
    > feature sets (available from your cisco reseller), as well as 128M of
    > DRAM and 24 or 28M of FLASH to hold the images.

    Ok guys,

    I've got the right IOS image, that is "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T2.bin".

    I think that is the right one 'cause in privilege mode I can type "vlan database" and I get

    Router#(vlan)

    Below my questions:

    - I want the router to communicate with a switch by a trunk link. How to setup a trunk link on a 877?

    - And moreover how many options do I have with my 877? I mean, I think I can setup a trunk link. But Can I setup
    FastEthernet interface to belong to different VLANs, i.e. FA0 to VLAN10, FA1 to VLAN20, FA2 to VLAN3, FA3 to VLAN4?

    - is ISL supported on 877 router?

    AM, Jun 27, 2006
  7. AM

    corb Guest

    "AM" <> wrote in message
    > Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >
    >> AM <> writes:
    >>

    >> The Cisco Feature Navigator (cisco.com/go/fn) lists VLAN support on
    >> the 877 requiring licensing the Advanced Security or Advanced IP Services
    >> feature sets (available from your cisco reseller), as well as 128M of
    >> DRAM and 24 or 28M of FLASH to hold the images.

    > Ok guys,
    >
    > I've got the right IOS image, that is
    > "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T2.bin".
    >
    > I think that is the right one 'cause in privilege mode I can type "vlan
    > database" and I get
    >
    > Router#(vlan)
    >
    > Below my questions:
    >
    > - I want the router to communicate with a switch by a trunk link. How to
    > setup a trunk link on a 877?
    >
    > - And moreover how many options do I have with my 877? I mean, I think I
    > can setup a trunk link. But Can I setup FastEthernet interface to belong
    > to different VLANs, i.e. FA0 to VLAN10, FA1 to VLAN20, FA2 to VLAN3, FA3
    > to VLAN4?
    >
    > - is ISL supported on 877 router?
    >
    > Thank you so much for your patience and your support.
    >
    > Alex.

    I must say I dont use use 877 much for Vlan, but if you try and put a switch
    port in vlan 2, then do show vlan it wont work.

    Also I think you'll find it will only support .1q trunking.

    1 last thing, if I remember when you get the correct stuff for vlans, you
    may be restricted to only 2-3 vlans and no more.

    At the moment you'll find you'll be able to create vlans but not use them,
    or you'll be able to create vlans and it wont give you an error message, but
    they really wont be created.

    corb, Jun 27, 2006
  8. AM <> writes:
    >I think that is the right one 'cause in privilege mode I can type "vlan database" and I get

    >Router#(vlan)

    >Below my questions:

    >- I want the router to communicate with a switch by a trunk link. How to setup a trunk link on a 877?

    If it follows the other 8xx series that supported VLANs, then you now
    have a FastEthernet 1, 2, 3 & 4 that are your layer-2 "switch port"
    interfaces, as well your primary layer-3 ethernet ports.

    You'd setup whatever layer-2 port you plug your trunk uplink into and
    configure it as a layer-2 trunk. (ie. switchport mode trunk).
    The other ports get switchport mode access on them.

    >- And moreover how many options do I have with my 877? I mean, I think I can setup a trunk link. But Can I setup
    >FastEthernet interface to belong to different VLANs, i.e. FA0 to VLAN10, FA1 to VLAN20, FA2 to VLAN3, FA3 to VLAN4?

    Yes, you can put each fastethernet layer-2 port into a different vlan,
    although I believe this low-end router can only do 4 VLANs (trunked
    through, or terminated).

    >- is ISL supported on 877 router?

    Very doubtful. Cisco's been dropping ISL support on many devices, especially
    on the low to mid end of things, and only still supporting it on the
    core type devices for compatibility sake.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 28, 2006
  9. AM

    binary_dreamer

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    i do have 2 adsl connections, a cisco 877, and a LAN (192.168.1.0/24)
    how can i take advantage of the 2 adsls ?
    bandwidth wise is difficult due to different isp.

    binary_dreamer, Jun 26, 2009