    don't want my network to affect them.

    thanks,
    Robert
    Rob, May 13, 2004

  2. Rob

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Rob]

    | I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
    | Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
    | VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
    | don't want it to happen.
    |
    | If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
    | temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
    | still pick it up from upstream switches?

    VTP transparent would work. VTP server or client with a different
    password than the existing VTP domain would also work.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, May 13, 2004

  3. Rob

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Steinar Haug]

    | | I've unpacked a new Cisco switch and plugged it into my company's
    | | Cisco switch fabric. It picked up my VTP domain and entered all my
    | | VLAN's into its database. How can I prevent that in the future? I
    | | don't want it to happen.
    | |
    | | If I setup my company switch (where I daisy chain the new switch
    | | temporarily) in VTP transparent mode, would that work? Or would it
    | | still pick it up from upstream switches?
    |
    | VTP transparent would work. VTP server or client with a different
    | password than the existing VTP domain would also work.

    ... different VTP domain name is what I meant (though different
    password would indeed work too :)

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, May 13, 2004
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks Steinar,
    One more question. I would like *MY* switch to participate in my VTP
    domain, but I don't want it affecting other switches that get plugged
    in. Is there a way to turn off any VTP broadcasts from individual
    ports?

    Also, if I make a switch transparent, does it stop any VTP broadcasts
    from upstream switches infecting a new switch??

    Rob, May 14, 2004
  5. Rob

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Rob]

    | One more question. I would like *MY* switch to participate in my VTP
    | domain, but I don't want it affecting other switches that get plugged
    | in. Is there a way to turn off any VTP broadcasts from individual
    | ports?

    You could possibly do it with a suitable MAC type filter, otherwise no.

    | Also, if I make a switch transparent, does it stop any VTP broadcasts
    | from upstream switches infecting a new switch??

    No, transparent also means your switch will pass on any VTP announcements
    from upstream.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, May 14, 2004