VLAN trunking across Catalyst 2900 XL and Catalyst 1900.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jarek Jarzebowski, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I try to set up trunk between Catalyst 2900 XL and Catalyst 1900. I need
    to use workstations connected to VLANs split on the two Catalysts.

    trunk
    +--------------------------+
    |Fa0/24 |FaB
    +------------------+ +---------------+
    | Catalyst 2900 XL | | Catalyst 1900 |
    +------------------+ +---------------+
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | Fa0/17 - Fa0/20
    | Fa0/17 - Fa0/20 | VLAN20
    | VLAN20 |
    | Fa0/9 - Fa0/16
    | VLAN30
    Fa0/9 - Fa0/16
    VLAN30

    I configured VLANs and trank ports on botch Catalysts but when I plug in
    trunk nothing happend. On 1900 tranking status is OFF. Encapsulation is
    ISL on trunk ports of both Catalyst.

    Is it possible the the reason is that 1900 doesn't support VTP 2?

    Is it possible to connect 2900 XL and 1900 VLANs over trunk?

    Regards,
    --
    Jarek

    P.S. Sorry for my poor english and newby question but I can not find any
    logical reason for the problem.
    Jarek Jarzebowski, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Jarek Jarzebowski

    jc Guest

    yes you can trunk the two devices. be sure that you turn on trunking for the
    1900's port and ensure your 2900xl's port is set to isl trunking
    encapsulation
    jc

    jc, Jun 18, 2005