    read that the 4003 only supports .1q and the 3550's only support .1p If
    this is the case, I have a problem no? Is there another way around this?

    Thanks

    JP Morgan, Oct 27, 2004

  2. I think .1p is not tagging. P stands for priority. The cisco tagging is
    named ISL.

    /markus

    harald rüger, Oct 27, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    JP Morgan <> wrote:

    :I current;y have a 4003 Catalyst Switch and a few 3550's trunked using
    :GBIC's. I want to start configuring VLANS for a voice/data project. I
    :read that the 4003 only supports .1q and the 3550's only support .1p If
    :this is the case, I have a problem no? Is there another way around this?

    ..1p ? As in 802.1p ? That's QoS on the MAC level. The 3550 does
    support that, but it also supports 802.1Q vlans. The information
    otherwise must have been wrong or you interpreted it incorrectly.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800913d7.html

    That says that the 3550 support QoS based upon code points or
    802.1p CoS headers, but it also says it supports 802.1Q VLANs.

    If I parse the material correctly, a 4003 running CatOS in pure layer 2
    mode also supports 802.lQ and 802.1p, and if you add a layer 3
    module then it will support 802.1p on any ports on that module set
    as layer 2 ports, but does not support 802.1p CoS marking on
    packets coming in on ports marked as layer 3 ports. If, though,
    you are running the 4003 with IOS and Supervisor III or Supervisor IV,
    then that does appear to support 802.1p CoS marking of layer 3 packets.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/qos_faq.html

    --
    Pity the poor electron, floating around minding its own business for
    billions of years; and then suddenly Bam!! -- annihilated just so

    Walter Roberson, Oct 27, 2004
  4. JP Morgan

    JP Morgan Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > JP Morgan <> wrote:
    >
    > :I current;y have a 4003 Catalyst Switch and a few 3550's trunked using
    > :GBIC's. I want to start configuring VLANS for a voice/data project. I
    > :read that the 4003 only supports .1q and the 3550's only support .1p If
    > :this is the case, I have a problem no? Is there another way around this?
    >
    > .1p ? As in 802.1p ? That's QoS on the MAC level. The 3550 does
    > support that, but it also supports 802.1Q vlans. The information
    > otherwise must have been wrong or you interpreted it incorrectly.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800913d7.html
    >
    > That says that the 3550 support QoS based upon code points or
    > 802.1p CoS headers, but it also says it supports 802.1Q VLANs.
    >
    > If I parse the material correctly, a 4003 running CatOS in pure layer 2
    > mode also supports 802.lQ and 802.1p, and if you add a layer 3
    > module then it will support 802.1p on any ports on that module set
    > as layer 2 ports, but does not support 802.1p CoS marking on
    > packets coming in on ports marked as layer 3 ports. If, though,
    > you are running the 4003 with IOS and Supervisor III or Supervisor IV,
    > then that does appear to support 802.1p CoS marking of layer 3 packets.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/qos_faq.html

    Thank you both for clarifying. I read that on a Cisco forum on their
    website. I could of easliy misinterpreted it, but it did look like
    someone was correcting another which sparked my concern. We're about to
    implement a ShoreTel VoIP system so wanted to make sure my switches
    would work together.

    Thanks!

    JP Morgan, Oct 27, 2004