VLAN support

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DevilsPGD, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
    tagging.

    I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
    port-based VLANs.

    I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
    but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
    purposes)

    How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
    for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
    does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
    completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.

    Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
    put a switch behind my PC.

    I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
    I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    DevilsPGD, Aug 23, 2004

  2. DevilsPGD

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
    > tagging.
    >
    > I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
    > port-based VLANs.
    >
    > I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
    > but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
    > purposes)
    >
    > How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
    > for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
    > does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
    > completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
    >
    > Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
    > put a switch behind my PC.
    >
    > I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
    > I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

    --

    You may want to ask your questions at comp.security.firewalls.

    Duane :)

    I am an *unregistered* Linux user. Unreg# 99999999999999999

    Duane Arnold, Aug 24, 2004

  3. DevilsPGD

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    > I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
    > tagging.
    >
    > I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
    > port-based VLANs.
    >
    > I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
    > but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
    > purposes)
    >
    > How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
    > for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
    > does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
    > completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
    >
    > Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
    > put a switch behind my PC.
    >
    > I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
    > I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

    since win2k supports multiple IP for a single NIC, i would assume XP does
    also...
    don't make me boot to my XP partition.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 24, 2004
  4. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <wexWc.9777$>
    "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote:

    >> I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
    >> tagging.
    >>
    >> I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
    >> port-based VLANs.
    >>
    >> I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
    >> but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
    >> purposes)
    >>
    >> How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
    >> for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
    >> does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
    >> completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
    >>
    >> Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
    >> put a switch behind my PC.
    >>
    >> I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
    >> I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

    >since win2k supports multiple IP for a single NIC, i would assume XP does
    >also...
    >don't make me boot to my XP partition.

    It's not just a matter of supporting multiple IPs, the drivers or the OS
    would need to apply the appropriate VLAN tags, and use the appropriate
    gateway.

    Thanks though.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    DevilsPGD, Aug 24, 2004