Vlan Subnets

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Smith, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Gang,

    I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm compliant
    routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
    But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
    vlans.

    Say if I wanted to assign

    Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
    Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
    Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0

    How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

    Thanks

    Jhon

    John Smith, Aug 23, 2004

  2. John Smith

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <6KhWc.8015$L94.2929@fed1read07>, says...
    > Subject: Vlan Subnets
    > From: "John Smith" <>
    > Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
    >
    > Gang,
    >

    > I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm compliant
    > routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
    > But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
    > vlans.
    >
    > Say if I wanted to assign
    >
    > Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
    > Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
    > Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0
    >
    > How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

    Which switch?

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostres, Aug 23, 2004

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    it is a 2900 xl

    John Smith, Aug 23, 2004
  4. John Smith wrote:
    > "Ivan Ostres" <> wrote in message
    >>In article <6KhWc.8015$L94.2929@fed1read07>, says...
    >>>From: "John Smith" <>
    >>>I know on routers if I want to do subneting I have to use a vlsm
    >>>compliant routing protocol, EIGRP, OSPF.
    >>>But what I don't understand it how it woks on switches between different
    >>>vlans.
    >>>
    >>>Say if I wanted to assign
    >>>
    >>>Vlan 1 with 10.1.1.0
    >>>Vlan 2 with 10.1.2.0
    >>>Vlan 3 with 10.1.3.0
    >>>
    >>>How would I get this config to work on a switch is my question?

    >>Which switch?

    > it is a 2900 xl

    That switch will of course switch them happily within their
    respective vlans, but it will not route between them. You need
    a router for that.

    Regards

    Christoph Weber-Fahr

    Christoph Weber-Fahr, Aug 24, 2004