VLAN question - Need help !!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by daemon, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. daemon

    daemon Guest

    Hi,

    I'm new to VLAN setup. Can anyone expert help me ?

    I have 2 x 2950-24 switch setup in my office, they're all under single
    'VLAN 1'. We're using a cisco 1720 access router. I got a request from
    my boss, I need to setup a new vlan for a new dept. whcih needs to be
    isolated from existing vlan, but they need to share the internet
    access. Below is our LAN setting :

    Internet -- Cisco 1720 - 2 x Cisco 2950-24

    Company A LAN ip - 10.1.1.0./24
    New dept. LAN ip - 10.2.1.0/24

    For my understanding, 'Trunking' should able to do that. Could anyone
    teach me how to configure my switch for that ?

    Many thanks

    daemon, Nov 26, 2004

  2. daemon

    Ben Guest

    daemon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to VLAN setup. Can anyone expert help me ?
    >
    > I have 2 x 2950-24 switch setup in my office, they're all under single
    > 'VLAN 1'. We're using a cisco 1720 access router. I got a request from
    > my boss, I need to setup a new vlan for a new dept. whcih needs to be
    > isolated from existing vlan, but they need to share the internet
    > access. Below is our LAN setting :
    >
    > Internet -- Cisco 1720 - 2 x Cisco 2950-24
    >

    > Company A LAN ip - 10.1.1.0./24
    > New dept. LAN ip - 10.2.1.0/24
    >
    > For my understanding, 'Trunking' should able to do that. Could anyone
    > teach me how to configure my switch for that ?
    >
    > Many thanks

    There will be plenty of examples on the Cisco site for the specifics but
    here's a basic rundown.

    You need to daisy-chain the switch trunk ports since you don't have 2
    FE's on the 1700.

    So, configure "switch1" with 2 dot1q trunk ports since this will
    interconnect the other switch and router.

    Configure "switch2" with 1 trunking port

    On the router you need to configure 2 sub-interfaces:

    int fastethernet 0.1
    encapsulation dot1q 1
    ip address whatever

    int fastethernet 0.2
    encapsulation dot1q 2
    ip address whatever

    Hey presto there's your trunking. If you don't want the 2 vlan's to talk
    to each other, that's easy. Just don't configure any routing between the
    two subnets.

    Ben, Nov 26, 2004

  3. daemon

    SysAdm Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote in message news:...
    > daemon wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm new to VLAN setup. Can anyone expert help me ?
    > >
    > > I have 2 x 2950-24 switch setup in my office, they're all under single
    > > 'VLAN 1'. We're using a cisco 1720 access router. I got a request from
    > > my boss, I need to setup a new vlan for a new dept. whcih needs to be
    > > isolated from existing vlan, but they need to share the internet
    > > access. Below is our LAN setting :

    <snip>

    it scares me that your boss is asking you to do this - dont you have a
    "network guy" in your office?

    SysAdm

    SysAdm, Nov 27, 2004
  4. daemon

    John Smith Guest

    this sounds like a small office scenario so i doubt they do...even if they
    had a 'computer guy' around, he/she probably wouldn't be a full-fledged
    cisco engineer.
    he/she would probably be more of a desktop support type role.
    this is the norm, btw, not the acception for a small office.

    John Smith, Nov 27, 2004