    image support 802.1q vlan tagging? If yes,
    how to enable it ?

    rzirzi
    rzirzi, Sep 8, 2006

  2. "rzirzi" <rzirzi@bezspamu_wp.pl> writes:
    >Does this model with c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6
    >image support 802.1q vlan tagging? If yes,
    >how to enable it ?

    It would seem so according to http://www.cisco.com/public/473/43.html

    Did this model have an enterprise model and a desktop model too like
    the WS-C2924XL did?

    Ie. the full part number WS-C2924-EN-XL supported VLAN trunking, while
    the full part number WS-C2924-A-XL does not support VLAN trunking, and
    you had to buy the upgrade up to the Enterprise version to get it to
    do VLAN trunking. Since these switches have been EOL'd for years and
    years, I doubt you could buy that license upgrade any longer.
    Doug McIntyre, Sep 8, 2006

  3. rzirzi

    rzirzi Guest

    > Ie. the full part number WS-C2924-EN-XL supported VLAN trunking, while
    > the full part number WS-C2924-A-XL does not support VLAN trunking, and
    > you had to buy the upgrade up to the Enterprise version to get it to
    > do VLAN trunking. Since these switches have been EOL'd for years and
    > years, I doubt you could buy that license upgrade any longer.

    Full part number is at the topic this post: WS-C2916M-XL
    Does it support 8021.q? how to enable it?

    rzirzi
    rzirzi, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Hi rzirzi,

    Catalyst 2900 series XL switches support the following trunking methods
    for transmitting VLAN traffic over 100BaseT and Gigabit Ethernet ports:

    Inter-Switch Link (ISL)

    IEEE 802.1Q

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a008007eba1.html

    Configuring a Trunk Port

    This section describes how to use the CLI to configure an ISL or IEEE
    802.1Q trunk port, how to define the VLANs that can use a port, and how
    to disable a trunk port.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ide_chapter09186a008007eba1.html#xtocid180492

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO
    www.BradReese.Com, Sep 8, 2006
  5. rzirzi

    rzirzi Guest

    > Catalyst 2900 series XL switches support the following trunking methods
    > for transmitting VLAN traffic over 100BaseT and Gigabit Ethernet ports:
    >
    > Inter-Switch Link (ISL)
    >
    > IEEE 802.1Q

    Thank you, but still i don't know why my switch does not
    support 802.1q, could you help me please?
    Some screenshots from console:

    Switch>ena
    Switch#sh ver
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-HS-M), Version 11.2(8.12)SA6, MAINTENANCE
    INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Compiled Fri 09-Apr-04 19:46 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0020E310

    ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

    Switch uptime is 0 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via

    cisco WS-C2916M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K
    bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 0x0C, with hardware revision 0x00
    Last reset from power-on

    Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
    Cluster member switch capable
    16 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

    Switch#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Switch(config)#int fastether 0/1
    Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    Switch(config-if)#switchport mode ?
    access Set trunking mode to ACCESS unconditionally
    multi Set trunking mode to multi-VLAN mode

    best regards
    rzirzi
    rzirzi, Sep 8, 2006
  6. www.BradReese.Com, Sep 8, 2006
  7. In article <eds29i$n5n$>,
    rzirzi <rzirzi@_bezspamu_wp.pl> wrote:

    >Thank you, but still i don't know why my switch does not
    >support 802.1q, could you help me please?
    >Some screenshots from console:

    >IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-HS-M), Version 11.2(8.12)SA6, MAINTENANCE
    >INTERIM SOFTWARE
    >System image file is "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.12-SA6.bin", booted via
    >cisco WS-C2916M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 4096K/640K
    >bytes of memory.
    >Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009441a.shtml

    WS-C2916M-XL is the only 4 MB switch that supports trunking at all,
    but the table in "Important Notes" could be interpreted as indicating
    that 802.1Q trunking is supported on the device only in
    Standard Edition and not in Enterprise Edition (which would likely
    be tighter on memory.).

    The table there does imply that with your release you should be
    able to do ISL trunking.
    Walter Roberson, Sep 8, 2006