VLAN interfaces on Layer 2 switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Henrik Larsson, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. As far as i know Cisco switches 2950 and 2970G is Layer 2 and is unable
    to route between VLAN's. Am I right on this?

    I have been taking over some of these in a network environment, and is
    unable to figure out why there on top of VLAN's in the VTP database is
    defined several VLAN interfaces.

    Example:
    -- cut --
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan3
    ip address 10.1.3.15 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    !
    interface Vlan6
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    !
    interface Vlan10
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    !
    -- cut --

    If this is only used for administration, could anyone tell me why Vlan
    interface 1,6 and 10 is defined in this example?

    Mvh Henrik
    Henrik Larsson, Jul 15, 2007

  2. It seems like mistake or poor configuration. Catalyst 2950 switch allows the
    only one L3 interface to be active, and it's the management interface. If
    you check the status of these interfaces (show ip interface brief), you will
    see that the only VLAN3 interface is in Up/Up state. So, you may safely
    delete all unneeded interfaces (except Vlan1).

    Good luck,

    Mike
    CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
    CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
    ------
    Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
    www.headsetadapter.com

    headsetadapter.com, Jul 15, 2007

  3. > It seems like mistake or poor configuration. Catalyst 2950 switch allows the
    > only one L3 interface to be active, and it's the management interface. If
    > you check the status of these interfaces (show ip interface brief), you will
    > see that the only VLAN3 interface is in Up/Up state. So, you may safely
    > delete all unneeded interfaces (except Vlan1).

    So even though "interface Vlan1" is not configured with an ip-address,
    and set to "shutdown" I shouldn't delete this?

    Best regards
    Henrik
    Henrik Larsson, Jul 15, 2007
  4. Henrik Larsson

    BernieM Guest

    >> It seems like mistake or poor configuration. Catalyst 2950 switch allows
    >> the only one L3 interface to be active, and it's the management
    >> interface. If you check the status of these interfaces (show ip interface
    >> brief), you will see that the only VLAN3 interface is in Up/Up state. So,
    >> you may safely delete all unneeded interfaces (except Vlan1).

    > So even though "interface Vlan1" is not configured with an ip-address, and
    > set to "shutdown" I shouldn't delete this?
    >

    > Best regards
    > Henrik

    I think you'll find it can't be deleted.
    BernieM, Jul 15, 2007