    done this before

    thanks!
    Xavi
    Xavier Veral, Jan 14, 2008

  2. I think that GRE is not enaught. On Cisco you can use pseudo wire technique
    (L2 Tunnelig protocol see:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f66fa.shtml)
    Regards
    Bartosz Gagat

    Bartosz Gagat, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Xavier Veral

    CK Guest

    On Jan 14, 7:51 pm, Xavier Veral <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Is it possible to use a GRE tunnel to connect 2 switches in diferent
    > locations with the same vlan?
    >
    > basically, the scenario is a 2 locations; both with a switch and the
    > same vlan. I need one computer from the first location to access the a
    > vlan on the second location.
    >
    > I was thinking on dot1q tunneling but im not really sure and never
    > done this before
    >
    > thanks!
    > Xavi

    If the both Switches are in same Vlan then hey must interact with each
    other without and problem. Why you need GRE tunneling in this
    scenerio.

    May be i am not clear about the asked question.

    Rgds....CK
    CK, Jan 15, 2008
  4. Xavier Veral

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:58:36 -0800, CK wrote:

    > On Jan 14, 7:51 pm, Xavier Veral <> wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Is it possible to use a GRE tunnel to connect 2 switches in diferent
    >> locations with the same vlan?

    > If the both Switches are in same Vlan then hey must interact with each
    > other without and problem. Why you need GRE tunneling in this scenerio.
    >
    > May be i am not clear about the asked question.

    Presumably the two locations that the OP is connecting with a GRE tunnel
    aren't linked together with a protocol that supports VLANs natively.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:40:39 up 9 days, 23:05, 2 users, load average: 1.11, 1.09, 1.14
    alexd, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Xavier Veral

    Xavier Veral Guest

    On 15 ene, 09:41, alexd <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:58:36 -0800, CK wrote:
    > > On Jan 14, 7:51 pm, Xavier Veral <> wrote:
    > >> Hi!

    > >> Is it possible to use a GRE tunnel to connect 2 switches in diferent
    > >> locations with the same vlan?

    > > If the both Switches are in same Vlan then hey must interact with each
    > > other without and problem. Why you need GRE tunneling in this scenerio.

    > > May be i am not clear about the asked question.

    > Presumably the two locations that the OP is connecting with a GRE tunnel
    > aren't linked together with a protocol that supports VLANs natively.
    >
    > --
    >  <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    >  08:40:39 up 9 days, 23:05,  2 users,  load average: 1.11, 1.09, 1.14
    >  2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    >  For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

    yes, exactly thats the case; i have both offices linked using
    encrypted gre tunneling (vti interface) and need to access on vlan on
    office 1 from office 2.

    I need to make something like, lets say a subinterface on the tunel
    that connects both switches and vlan.

    Im not sure if i explain the idea correctly :)

    thanks
    Xavier Veral, Jan 15, 2008
  6. 802.1q vlans works on Layer2. Gre works on Layer 3. You need special
    technique to encapsulate L2 information in Layer3 packets. So- use
    pseudowire or another encapsulation (l2vpn) technique.

    Bartosz Gagat, Jan 16, 2008
  7. Xavier Veral

    bbiandov

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Messages:
    14
    pseudo wire is exactly the way to make this work, it does require Advance IP image but once you do this it works like a charm.

    the exact magic was contained within those 2 commands as I recall

    pseudo wire
    xconnect x.x.x.x which is the IP of the far end sub-interface

    It is beyond retarded simple to setup (as is the case with any networking stuff) and it works just as expected.

    Few good examples with pictures on the xconnect piece:

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26272
    http://blog.ine.com/tag/xconnect/
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    bbiandov, Nov 2, 2012