VKD Error Update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sharon, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    I am posting this update in hopes that it may help someone else along
    the line. My original post was:

    "When my son tries to start his computer he gets an error
    message saying "Data error reading drive c, Abort, Retry, Ignore
    Fail" When I choose Ignore I get a message saying there was an error
    initializing device vkd. I tried unplugging and replugging in his
    keyboard, trying another keyboard, extracting the Hidvkd.sys file from
    the win98 CD during a restart with the startup disk, but nothing works.
    Windows will also not start in Safe Mode. I even used the startup disk
    to try to reinstall Windows but everything hangs when it gets to
    "Copying files needed for Windows SetUp". Anything else I can try?"

    I checked all cards and cables and everything seemed to be all right.
    Everything seemed to point to a hardware problem. I finally started the
    computer with the startup floppy and at the command prompt did a DIR C:
    That worked and I got a list of files and folders. Then I did a
    DIR C: /A/S and I got several minutes of rapidly scrolling lists of
    files. I then typed in SCANDISK C: and did the complete scan. I decided
    to try this after reading Ron Martell's (from another newsgroup) advice
    to another poster on an unrelated startup problem. Against his advice,
    however, I let Scandisk fix the one problem that it found, which was one
    damaged cluster. After that, even though the scandisk report said there
    was physical damage, I again attempted a reinstall from the startup
    floppy and this time the install was successful! I did have to reinstall
    a couple of programs and the network card driver, but other than that
    all of my files and programs were okay. I have no idea why this all
    worked despite the reported physical damage but it did.

    Sharon
    Sharon, Nov 24, 2003