    I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
    bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

    thanks
    davem, Oct 31, 2004

  2. davem

    Basic Wedge Guest

    Vivitar, once a fairly well regarded brand, is, nowadays, not recommended.

    Rob

    --------------------------------

    "davem" wrote ...

    Basic Wedge, Oct 31, 2004

  3. In article <>, davem
    <> wrote:

    > How good is this brand for non-professional use?
    >
    > I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
    > bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

    Vivitar is a marketing company. They don't make anything.
    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 31, 2004
  4. davem

    Basic Wedge Guest

    Who has suggested otherwise?

    Rob

    -----------------------

    "Randall Ainsworth" wrote ...

    Basic Wedge, Oct 31, 2004
  5. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, davem
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > How good is this brand for non-professional use?
    > >
    > > I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
    > > bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

    > Vivitar is a marketing company. They don't make anything.

    That is owned by the Australian firm Hanimex...

    ---

    Darrell Larose, Oct 31, 2004
  6. davem

    JohnR Guest

    It is a fixed focal length and apparently fixed focus (non AF) lens, It does
    have a portrait and landscape setting.

    I'd recommend an camera with an optical zoom and auto focus.
    John

    JohnR, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Bought my mum a Vivitar last xmas for under 100 pounds (3625model).
    Broke within 2 months and she couldn't get it changed as she'd lost the
    proof of purches :-(.
    Shame as the prints that we got from the camera were excellent compared
    to others that i've seen from the same spec & price range.

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Nov 1, 2004
  8. davem

    George Guest

    "Tripmonkey (UK)" <> wrote in message
    > Bought my mum a Vivitar last xmas for under 100 pounds (3625model).
    > Broke within 2 months and she couldn't get it changed as she'd lost the
    > proof of purches :-(.
    > Shame as the prints that we got from the camera were excellent compared
    > to others that i've seen from the same spec & price range.
    >
    > Trip
    >
    > davem wrote:
    > > How good is this brand for non-professional use?
    > >
    > > I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
    > > bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.
    > >
    > > thanks

    Based on my recent experience with Vivitar (USA), I'd avoid them like the
    plague.
    The problems I experienced with them was on two different Vivitar cameras,
    one
    digital and one 35mm (P&S). The 35mm just totally died within 3 months, the
    digital
    situation was considerably more irritating (the camera didn't fail). With
    the digital
    camera (my daughter's), we moved and the movers lost the proprietary cable
    for
    downloading the pics (camera has built-in memory only)...the really
    irritating thing
    is that I tried contacting Vivitar via snail-mail, email, and even left a
    voice-mail
    message and they didn't even bother to respond to any of them...too bad. My
    30 year old Vivitar 283 still works like new, but based on these two recent
    experiences, I will NEVER buy another product of theirs nor will I ever
    recommend
    them to anyone else. Companies that give ZERO support deserve ZERO
    business.

    (BTW--Nothing happened with the 35mm situation as if they wouldn't even
    respond,
    I saw no reason to send it to them. Both the 35mm and digital camera
    problems
    occurred at the same time.)
    George, Nov 1, 2004