    opinion on what it's like?
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
    Robert Sneddon, May 13, 2007

  2. Robert Sneddon

    cgiorgio Guest

    Vivitar is just one of many importers / dealers selling this OEM camera, it
    is available under perhaps a dozen or more different names worldwide. For
    example you can get it under the name Avant S10x6 in Skandinavia . There is
    no optical image stabilisation, just firmware raising the ISO sensitivity
    under low light. They are built by one of the largest digital camera OEM
    manufacturers in China (Foxconn, formerly Premier Image). In fully automatic
    you can expect fairly average point and shoot results, build quality is not
    bad. Do not expect any outstanding features or performance however. There
    have been compromises taken to achieve a low end user price.

    cgiorgio, May 13, 2007

  3. Robert Sneddon

    PhotoFanatic Guest

    Vivitar is just a badge, these cameras are made in many thousands and sold
    under many different names including Practica and Halina. You are likely to
    be buying a relatively poor camera. I had two Vivitar point and shoots. They
    literally fell to pieces with only light use. Also their sensors were never
    as described, both of mine interpolated the image size up to 3Mp and 5Mp
    respectively, when in reality they were equipped with sub 2Mp sensors. Lens
    quality was terrible, and images produced were even poor at snapshot sizes.

    Spend just a little more, maybe take a look at Fuji or Olympus, you wont
    regret it.

    If you are in the UK, take a look at Morgan computers, they have branches
    around the country and a web site at
    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/?adnetwork=af
    ,there you can get refurbished or brand new digital cameras that have simply
    been superceded by latest models, but full featured and very very cheap -
    they currently have a range of Olympus, Fuji, Nikon and Minolta digital
    point and shoot cameras - well worth a look.

    I dont work for Morgan by the way, but I am a frequent customer for their
    computers, and I notice they carry a very full range of good cameras at very
    good prices.

    PhotoFanatic, May 13, 2007