    So anyone?

    Thanks,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Brad H. Guest

    Why not just get the low end Canon 220EX flash specifically made for EOS and
    Digital Rebel cameras? They sell used for around $75 and new for around
    $120. One heck of a nice flash for the price and will work perfectly with
    the 300D.

    Brad H., Oct 18, 2004

  3. Brad H. wrote:
    > Why not just get the low end Canon 220EX flash specifically made for

    EOS and
    > Digital Rebel cameras? They sell used for around $75 and new for

    around
    > $120. One heck of a nice flash for the price and will work perfectly

    with
    > the 300D.

    Yes, I looked at that but I don't want to buy used and $120 is too much
    for a flash that I won't be using very often. I was initially looking
    at spending $42 for the Vivitar 728AF but then saw the 730AF that
    offers more for $20.

    The Canon 220EX has no bounce or swivel, no zoom and a lesser guide
    number than the 730AF. Instead of spending $110 on the Canon 220EX, I
    might spend a little more and get the Sigma EF-500.
    Thanks,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    R Barr Guest

    For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I used
    with my film Rebel G, and I never had any complaints. As long as the
    trigger voltage (?) is safe for the camera, you should be OK. The zoom
    is manual, of course, but you can also bounce the flash laterally, not
    just inline with the flash. (So you can bounce off the ceiling even
    with the camera held vertically).

    The indicator lights & calculator on the rear are utterly useless, but
    with digital, who cares? You get immediate review anyway.

    I was going to sell it when I bought a 380EX, but when I saw how low the
    prices were, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

    R Barr, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Robert Barr Guest

    R Barr wrote:

    > For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I used
    > with my film Rebel G,

    Oops -- that doesn't answer your question. This might:

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    Not sure how accurate this is. Comments?

    Robert Barr, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Robert Barr wrote:
    > R Barr wrote:
    > >
    > > For what it's worth, I've had a 730AF for a couple of years that I

    used
    > > with my film Rebel G,

    > Oops -- that doesn't answer your question. This might:
    >
    > http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    >
    > Not sure how accurate this is. Comments?

    Thanks Robert. I've decided to use and see how the on-board flash fits
    my needs. Else, I will buy a Sigma ST DG 500 later.

    Still it might useful to get reviews from people who've used the
    Vivitar 730AF on the Canon 300D.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 20, 2004